The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM2n lenses on Nex-5n?

Hi all,
My first post on this great website.

I recently bought a Nex-5n, body only.

I'm planning to use my OM2n Zuiko lenses on the camera when it arrives in the post (manual focus until I pick up a Nex lens). I have a 21, 35, 50mm.

Anyone had much experience with these lenses on the Nex-5n?

What do you guys think?

mazor

hi, OM zuiko lens work real well on the 5n. They are relatively compact lens when compared to Nikkor AIS lens. Although when used with an adapter for the nex 5n, the compactness is somewhat lost due to the depth of the adapter required. The reason the adapter is deep is due the OM lens design for SLR mirror boxes. and the nex 5n is super slim, and has no mirror.

The OM Lens I have are the 24mm 2.8 and the 50mm f3.5 macro. Both are sharp, contrasty and suffer minimal CA.

Which 50mm variant do you have? My one being a macro has a slightly smaller aperture (3.5) but makes up for it by being able to focus down to 1/2 life size. Also this 50mm the front element is recessed from the front so lens hoods are not required when used in flare prone situations.

The reason now especially I think the OM len with adapter is big for the 5n is because of late I acquired a pen f G.zuiko 40mm f1.4 lens, and the adapter required for that is similar sized to a Leica m to Nex adapter which increases the length of lens by less than 1cm plus the filter diameter 43mm is alot smaller than OM zuiko lens. Next to OM zuiko the pen f lens are miniature.

pegelli

They work like a charm on my Nex 5.

I have the 50/1.8, 85/2, 100/2.8 and 135/3.5 and they're all sharp and very few other faults. Bokeh and colours are very pleasing and from this set the 85/2 gets the most use as short tele. These were the lenses I had from using them on my OM4. Still looking for a WA like 24/2.8 or 21/3.5 but havent found one at a reasonable price yet.

There's some of my results further down on page 6 of this thread

Michiel Schierbeek

Anyone tried the Zuiko 300/3.5 on the Nex-5n?
I tryed the 300/4.5 on the GH1 and before on my E1. Very good telelens, if you need it. I sold it. The Canon FD 300/4, which I still have is slightly better and faster.

Still have 7 OM lenses and they all work fine.
I have 2 50mm lenses the 1.4 and 1.8 and from my copies I prefer the 1.8.
Less soft and sharper and don't costs much.

Michiel

Hi all,
@Mazor, thanks for the tips. My 50mm is a f1.4. My 35mm is an f2.8, my favourite lens, with the 21mm f3.5 coming a close second. I think ergonomics were never the Nex-5n's strength!
@pegelli, nice pics! It's music to my ears that these Zuiko lenses usually work well on the Nex-5n.
@Shac, I have that lens. But I haven't yet had the chance to use it. Will get back to you on that.

Has anyone used the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm f2.5 on the Nex-5n, I was tempted to get one because it could also be used on a Leica, and it is such a compact little lens!

Henry

Shac

Michiel - thank you. Did you notice much CA wide open?
Henry - please do let me know

Last edited: