The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Meet Hektor

Surprise find today - a Leica Hektor 28mm f/6.3 screwmount.

Description from Camerarepair.com: A 5/3 formulation with the outer pairs cemented and the rearmost pair larger than the forward pair. The 2.8cm F6.3 Hektor was introduced in 1935 to counter the 28mm F8 Tessar which was already available from the other optical titan, Zeiss, for its Contax. Until 1937, available in chrome or nickel finish. Thereafter in chrome only. Post war available with coated optics. Discontinued 1955.

Robert Jagitsch informed me that these lenses are difficult to find w/out haze so I think I lucked out big time. The lens is surprisingly punchy with no visible haze or CA. Exceedingly sharp and detailed in the center, I consider this a character lens so can forgive some apparent deficiencies in the corners. Then again, I've only shot it wide open (heh heh, at f/6.3), stopping down might improve.

This beauty is super compact with smooth focus. I'm using it with the Hawk's adapter so close focus is possible with nice separation. I think this one is a keeper.

Any color bleed or vignetting was added in post. I have not noticed any significant corner issues. Just some light vignetting at f/6.3. Sorry for the uninspired samples, just some very quick grabs - will update with some more later.

Chad

V

Vivek

It is a beautiful lens! Congrats!

Chad, the images you show- are they out of the 3? If you try this on the C3 or 5N it would be much better.

Stopping down will not help with the sharpness. It is as sharp as it gets wide open. Flare is the biggest problem (also could be put to good use!) with this lens.

FWIW: take a look here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/leica-m-x-r/36675-slow-lenses.html

It is a beautiful lens! Congrats!

Chad, the images you show- are they out of the 3? If you try this on the C3 or 5N it would be much better.

Stopping down will not help with the sharpness. It is as sharp as it gets wide open. Flare is the biggest problem (also could be put to good use!) with this lens.

FWIW: take a look here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/leica-m-x-r/36675-slow-lenses.html
Thanks Vivek.

Those are a mix from the 3 and 7. I'm very pleased with the performance of the lens and find it to be in line with most descriptions, although my copy has a good amount of contrast, perhaps due to the coating.

I'll put it through the paces more this week when I have some time. I want to see if the flare is as problematic as reported.

Chad

mazor

nice lens you have show performance, This will make your NEX ultimately the most compact and light setup!

V

Vivek

The NEX-C3 makes the most compact base. The adapter sticks out a bit but the Hektor can compare with a few others in terms of compactness.:thumbs:

BTW, Chad, there is a hood for this tiny beauty. Difficult to chase and find but worth a try, IMO.

A few more from today...one thing I can say is that again, you may not see it in these low res samples but this lens is biting sharp in the center and generates a nice neutral file to work with, minus any corner issues.