Site Sponsors

Thread: Meet Hektor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Meet Hektor

Surprise find today - a Leica Hektor 28mm f/6.3 screwmount.

Description from Camerarepair.com: A 5/3 formulation with the outer pairs cemented and the rearmost pair larger than the forward pair. The 2.8cm F6.3 Hektor was introduced in 1935 to counter the 28mm F8 Tessar which was already available from the other optical titan, Zeiss, for its Contax. Until 1937, available in chrome or nickel finish. Thereafter in chrome only. Post war available with coated optics. Discontinued 1955.

Robert Jagitsch informed me that these lenses are difficult to find w/out haze so I think I lucked out big time. The lens is surprisingly punchy with no visible haze or CA. Exceedingly sharp and detailed in the center, I consider this a character lens so can forgive some apparent deficiencies in the corners. Then again, I've only shot it wide open (heh heh, at f/6.3), stopping down might improve.

This beauty is super compact with smooth focus. I'm using it with the Hawk's adapter so close focus is possible with nice separation. I think this one is a keeper.

Any color bleed or vignetting was added in post. I have not noticed any significant corner issues. Just some light vignetting at f/6.3. Sorry for the uninspired samples, just some very quick grabs - will update with some more later.

Chad

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meet Hektor

wow, that indeed is a very compact lens, guess there wont be too many elements in that lens eh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update, looks like this was a bigger find than I thought. One of 350 produced during the war in 1941, with coating. Nice lens!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What a beauty Chad! Congrats on your find! Could be worth more then you think.

Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a beautiful lens! Congrats!

Chad, the images you show- are they out of the 3? If you try this on the C3 or 5N it would be much better.

Stopping down will not help with the sharpness. It is as sharp as it gets wide open. Flare is the biggest problem (also could be put to good use!) with this lens.

FWIW: take a look here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/leica-...ow-lenses.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It is a beautiful lens! Congrats!

Chad, the images you show- are they out of the 3? If you try this on the C3 or 5N it would be much better.

Stopping down will not help with the sharpness. It is as sharp as it gets wide open. Flare is the biggest problem (also could be put to good use!) with this lens.

FWIW: take a look here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/leica-...ow-lenses.html
    Thanks Vivek.

Those are a mix from the 3 and 7. I'm very pleased with the performance of the lens and find it to be in line with most descriptions, although my copy has a good amount of contrast, perhaps due to the coating.

I'll put it through the paces more this week when I have some time. I want to see if the flare is as problematic as reported.

Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    What a beauty Chad! Congrats on your find! Could be worth more then you think.

Michiel
    We'll see, but other Hektor lenses from that production run have sold for over $4,000. Apparently the lenses produced during the war are super collectible.

Nice surprise, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

nice lens you have show performance, This will make your NEX ultimately the most compact and light setup!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The NEX-C3 makes the most compact base. The adapter sticks out a bit but the Hektor can compare with a few others in terms of compactness.

BTW, Chad, there is a hood for this tiny beauty. Difficult to chase and find but worth a try, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few more from today...one thing I can say is that again, you may not see it in these low res samples but this lens is biting sharp in the center and generates a nice neutral file to work with, minus any corner issues.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    nice lens you have show performance, This will make your NEX ultimately the most compact and light setup!
    heheh, I mock those that say lenses for the NEX are too big!