Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Nex7 a wise choice?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Nex7 a wise choice?

    I have been thinking about the Nex7 for two reasons. I would appreciate any comments on whether this is a good/bad choice.

    1. I have a 5D2 with good (Zeiss/Canon L) glass. I like/am used to the ergonomics having previously used AT1, AE1, T90, 5D and love the image quality, with one caveat - excessive shadow noise in subjects with a wide range of brightness. I'm not going to join the D800E bandwagon (who knows what Canon will come up with in the future) but it seems as if the Nex7 with metabones adaptor could easily slip into the Canon bag and give me another option. I have zeiss 21, 28/2 and 35/2 and canon 100L, 70-2004L IS and 300/4L IS.

    2. I would need to sell a Panny GH2/14-140 and 20/1.7 to fund the sony. I bought this for when I didn't want the weight and bulk of the Canon. Rationally it ticks all the boxes, but I don't like the raw files nearly as much as the 5D or even as much as my LX3 and have never really enjoyed using it. So the Sony would replace that as the walk around camera.

    Of course, to replace like for like, I would need the Sony or Tamron 18-200 which seems a bit unwieldy compared to the Panny 14-140. Everyone seems to despise the much more compact 18-55 kit lens but the MTF figures tested by Lens Rentals reported on another thread seem identical to the 18-200. Does anybody have anything good to say about the 18-55?

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,597
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Have you considered the OMD?

    The NEX-7 sensor is demanding on the optics. I only have the primes (by choice). The 24/1.8, 30/2.8 and the 50/1.8 in particular are fantastic. Barring the Sigma DN, the other two are the size of a Coca cola can. If you can live with that.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Nigel,
    The NEX-7 is my only digital right now (with the exception of an IR converted G1). I prefer prime lenses. I ordered just the NEX-7 body, but when I finally was able to get a NEX-7, it came with the kit lens. I have been pleasantly surprised by this little lens. I have now used it a few times when AF would serve me well, and it has not let me down. I think it is a pretty good lens for a kit lens.
    I prefer the APS-C sensor of the Sony over the micro 4/3's that I used previously. (I have in the past also had Canon 5D, Nikon D700, and Leica M8 and M9, so I've been around.)
    My advice would be to pick up a Contax G 45mm f/2 and maybe a Contax G 90 f/2.8 (with a G to NEX adapter) to shoot with the kit lens and then you would have a small kit and have the bases covered. The Sony focus peaking makes focusing the Contax lenses easy.

  4. #4
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    blush...
    I have the Oly pen F 42mm/f1.2 with nex adapter and the Contax G90 with fotodiox/nex adapter for sale should you want to go that way

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,597
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    With the "legacy" lenses, the 16MP sensored NEX-C3 or the 5N or the F3 is perhaps a better choice but they do not offer a hotshoe or the built in EVF like the 7.

    So, the Sony Alpha E system is in a flux.

    Apparently, the attitude of Sony is to lure new customers:

    Alpha 37, NEX-F3, 18-200mm LE and 18-135mm SAM | Photoclubalpha

    So, it will be up to you to decide if the NEX offers anything that you lack in the m4/3rds (which as a system is getting stronger by the day).

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Thanks for suggestions. If I was only interested in replacing the GH2 I would give serious consideration to OMD, but I think the Nex7 gives me a platform of equivalent quality to 5D2, at least at low ISO, and a few advantages like better DR, articulated LCD and serious reach. (with 300/1.4 and a bit of cropping, somewhere around 800mm 16mpx equivalent.

    I wasn't planning to get any E-fit primes - the whole point is with metabones EF/E adaptor I get all EF functions except AF, including IS. I thought I could live with the 18-55 and just take the Canon 70-200 when I think I might need more reach. I thought either the CZ 28 or 35 would be a quality alternative to the kit lens when I just want to use one body/lens.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Have you considered the OMD?

    The NEX-7 sensor is demanding on the optics. I only have the primes (by choice). The 24/1.8, 30/2.8 and the 50/1.8 in particular are fantastic. Barring the Sigma DN, the other two are the size of a Coca cola can. If you can live with that.
    Are you saying you think the Carl Zeiss ZE lenses are not up to the demands of the Nex-7 sensor?

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,597
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    In that case you may want to wait a few months to see what Canon bring out in the mirrorless area. If they do as rumored, then your EOS lenses would get better compatibility than the what the conrus adapter can offer.

    Quote Originally Posted by NigelC View Post
    I wasn't planning to get any E-fit primes - the whole point is with metabones EF/E adaptor I get all EF functions except AF, including IS. I thought I could live with the 18-55 and just take the Canon 70-200 when I think I might need more reach. I thought either the CZ 28 or 35 would be a quality alternative to the kit lens when I just want to use one body/lens.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,597
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by NigelC View Post
    Are you saying you think the Carl Zeiss ZE lenses are not up to the demands of the Nex-7 sensor?
    I did not consider them at all. Size wise, the E primes would then look about the same may be even smaller.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    In that case you may want to wait a few months to see what Canon bring out in the mirrorless area. If they do as rumored, then your EOS lenses would get better compatibility than the what the conrus adapter can offer.
    I think that's a good point, although on the basis of Canon's current sensor technology, I would not be optimistic it would come near the Sony IQ. But who knows.

  11. #11
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by NigelC View Post
    I think that's a good point, although on the basis of Canon's current sensor technology, I would not be optimistic it would come near the Sony IQ. But who knows.
    Since the metabones adapter already provides aperture control, I'm not sure how much of an advantage a native Canon mirrorless would have. Even if it does have AF, you'd likely be using PDAF lenses on a CDAF system, which is pretty awful. You'd likely be faster at manual focusing.

    If it were me, I'd get the NEX-7 for your lenses, and then add the Sigma 19 and 30 for a couple of good, small, prime options.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    The 18-55 is a great lens especially considering it's low price. It is in effect a set of lenses in one box and used on f8 returns excellent performance on all of the NEX models. By 'knocking' it's use and performance people on the web hope to look knowledgeable and discerning,...in fact they show their ignorance and stupidity because most serious photographers who have tried it tend to find respect for it.

    I have had two 20x16 inch prints hung in an exhibition at the same time, both made with the 18-55. The prints were superb.

    If you look around the web you will find very good photography made with this lens,...here is some excellent B/W work all shot with NEX 7/18-55;

    Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: Sony NEX-7 Monochrome by Ken Lee

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    The 18-55 is a great lens especially considering it's low price. It is in effect a set of lenses in one box and used on f8 returns excellent performance on all of the NEX models. By 'knocking' it's use and performance people on the web hope to look knowledgeable and discerning,...in fact they show their ignorance and stupidity because most serious photographers who have tried it tend to find respect for it.

    I have had two 20x16 inch prints hung in an exhibition at the same time, both made with the 18-55. The prints were superb.

    If you look around the web you will find very good photography made with this lens,...here is some excellent B/W work all shot with NEX 7/18-55;

    Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: Sony NEX-7 Monochrome by Ken Lee

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Nigel C, coming from and SLR type body, I would recommend the Nex 5n with EVF. This combo mimics a SLR whereby the EVF sits right above the lens, also similar to the GH2, but with advantages, the advantage being the EVF can articulate upwards to a vertical position. I find myself using it in a 45 degree finding position. This makes the camera even less conspicuous than it already is. As I am used to using SLR style cameras I seldom ever use the LCD at the rear on the camera, unless I am doing video or reviewing images to people around. To further mimic a SLR experience I have a plastic cover over my LCD so my only viewfinder is the EVF. Sony lets me set the EVF as the main finder, and allows for the LCD to be permanently off too which is a nice feature. On contrary the Nex 7 built in EVF sits to the left like a rangefinder, and cannot articulate, so you are forced to put the camera up to your eyes.

    Although the 5n may not have the resolution and dynamic range of a 5d mk ii, the IQ is indeed really good. Best of all if need be this camera is super compact.

    As you know I have the Metabones EF to NEx adapter, and it really is a joy to use. Being able to use L glass on nex with so much control over the lens is really amazing.

    Apeture control, flexibility to either have apeture open for focus or real time focusing, plus ability to enable auto magnify when focus ring is rotated controlled by the hardware AF/MF switch.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by NigelC View Post
    I think that's a good point, although on the basis of Canon's current sensor technology, I would not be optimistic it would come near the Sony IQ. But who knows.
    Agree canon IQ has note really improved since the 5d Mk 1 in my opinion with the mk ii giving a bit more resolution but also alot more smooth mushy RAW files. Think Canons sensor tech has been the same since the D30 3.2MP 1.6x crop DSLR, and they have done is put more micro lens, and clever "digic" processing to get super clean high ISO images.

  16. #16
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    Nigel C, coming from and SLR type body, I would recommend the Nex 5n with EVF. This combo mimics a SLR whereby the EVF sits right above the lens, also similar to the GH2, but with advantages, the advantage being the EVF can articulate upwards to a vertical position. I find myself using it in a 45 degree finding position. This makes the camera even less conspicuous than it already is. As I am used to using SLR style cameras I seldom ever use the LCD at the rear on the camera, unless I am doing video or reviewing images to people around. To further mimic a SLR experience I have a plastic cover over my LCD so my only viewfinder is the EVF. Sony lets me set the EVF as the main finder, and allows for the LCD to be permanently off too which is a nice feature. On contrary the Nex 7 built in EVF sits to the left like a rangefinder, and cannot articulate, so you are forced to put the camera up to your eyes.

    Although the 5n may not have the resolution and dynamic range of a 5d mk ii, the IQ is indeed really good. Best of all if need be this camera is super compact.

    As you know I have the Metabones EF to NEx adapter, and it really is a joy to use. Being able to use L glass on nex with so much control over the lens is really amazing.

    Apeture control, flexibility to either have apeture open for focus or real time focusing, plus ability to enable auto magnify when focus ring is rotated controlled by the hardware AF/MF switch.
    Yeah, it's a tough call between the 5N and 7 (I owned both for a while.) The touchscreen, usability with rangefinder wides, autoISO to 3200 and tilt EVF were some great positives for the 5N. I ended up eventually selling it, though, because, although I liked the tilt EVF, the overall height difference between the two cameras was noticeable to in regards to packing and carrying around, and the Tri-Navi system on the 7 is fantastic. The IQ of the NEX-7 is a little better, too, but it isn't drastic.

    I either shoot the NEX-7 like a rangefinder with the EVF or like a Hasselblad with the LCD flipped up.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Nigel, I think you are pretty well set up with your own plan in post #6. The kit lens is one of the better of that type around, and surprises many. The CZ lenses are of course excellent.

    ALL lenses will give better results on the higher Mp sensor than on a lower res sensor - a matter of physics, as total IQ = lens MTF x sensor MTF.

    The NEX7 is a much better rounded cam than what came before, the EVF is well-integrated indeed. Canon are not exactly on a roll at the moment. Why wait on them?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by NigelC View Post
    Are you saying you think the Carl Zeiss ZE lenses are not up to the demands of the Nex-7 sensor?
    If I may chime in, they are, at least within their own specific limits. Now I do not have ZE, only ZF, but they share the same optical formula, just with different mount.

    However the dense pixels of the Nex-7 bring out some weaknesses of each lens stronger: Some are not so good wide open and in the close range, like the 50mm planar. But I did have good and very sharp results with the 35/f2 and the 25/2,8 (the older one). Did not yet try out my 85/1,4 planar. Unfortunately I sold my 100 Macro Planar a while ago. Not a wise decision...

    I also have the COntax/ Zeiss G 45 Planar. Very good lens, although the operation of the focussing via the adapter ring is not really ideal.

    Cheers
    Bernie

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    Nigel, I think you are pretty well set up with your own plan in post #6. The kit lens is one of the better of that type around, and surprises many. The CZ lenses are of course excellent.

    ALL lenses will give better results on the higher Mp sensor than on a lower res sensor - a matter of physics, as total IQ = lens MTF x sensor MTF.

    The NEX7 is a much better rounded cam than what came before, the EVF is well-integrated indeed. Canon are not exactly on a roll at the moment. Why wait on them?
    I may wait until Photokina to see if Canon do introduce a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera but I imagine it would share the G1X sensor, which isn't really on a level with nex7.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    645
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    And the new Fuji? A toss up?

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    can you mount EF lens to X1pro?? Think that will be a game changer if it did, plus how about focus peaking!

  22. #22
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Nex7 a wise choice?

    Nigel,

    As a 5D shooter and NEX-7 owner I can only speak highly of the 7. It trumps the original 5D sensor and as you said, is likely on par with the Mark II at least below 1600. I even used the 7 in low-light concert work (with an adapted Contax C/Y 50mm 1.4 planar) alongside the 5D. Here is a link to a show last week that is up on SPIN.com - Dream Amphitheatre: Live Photos of M83 in Austin | SPIN | Newswire | Scene and Heard

    I also currently have the Metabones EF adapter on loan and it is an interesting product. I'm testing it with the 35mm 1.4L and the 70-200 2.8 IS. Pretty amazing having the later turn into an image stabilized 300mm at 24mp.

    I say order up that 7!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •