The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the NEX system winding down?

V

Vivek

Rumors have it that the only features the new F3 and F5 are the 180deg flip up screen for self portraits and the there is a wifi in F5. No integrated evf , no hotshoe nothing that is really useful for photography.

Are Sony better off making and selling sensors to those who can make cameras?

I am not pleased with these developments at all.

fotografz

Sony is big on milking models with minor changes and endless variations ...

Look at the mind boggling array of A mount SLTs based on the same 16 and 24 meg APS-C sensors ... which are the same as in the NEX cameras ... again, a bunch of versions with hardly any true differences that we'd be all that interested in.

Also, rather than discount a product, they make meaningless changes and drop the price (i.e., A900 > A850).

I'm not happy with the migration to all EVF cameras, so the A900s may be my last Sony.

-Marc

mazor

true true, My wish list for the next Sony NEX camera would be some sort of IBIS, as well as double scan rate from the sensor so as to get faster contrast AF, and a higher MP sensor similar to the Nex 7 but without color cast issues.

pegelli

Just be patient, how often do you really need a new camera anyway (I'm still on an original NEX 5 and won't upgrade until that is really broken or obsolete)

Also the F3 (haven't seen the specs for the F5 yet) has a pop-up flash and a port to mount the external viewfinder. In my mind these are useful features versus the NEX 3 / C3

I think we should complain less and enjoy more.

Just be patient, how often do you really need a new camera anyway (I'm still on an original NEX 5 and won't upgrade until that is really broken or obsolete)
As someone who still shoots the original Canon 5D and the NEX 3 (admittedly I did spring for a 7) I whole heartedly agree with Pegelli. Your lenses and skill will do far more for your photography then a new body.

Let's be clear that the mirrorless market is in its infancy. Just because many of us enthusiasts have been tuned in for several years, it doesn't change the fact that the larger market is just starting to learn that they can have dSLR quality in a smaller package. And to that point, Sony will continue to refine their bodies for that emerging market. I think the F3 is a great example and I am recommending it to many friends who are "mirrorless curious".

How quickly everyone forgets that Sony did us pros and enthusiasts right with the 7. It truly is an amazing camera for the high-end and frankly Sony and companies like Fuji and Olympus with the X-Pro 1 and OM-D have my respect and support.

Godfrey

+1

Winding down? My gosh, have we become such a legion of fine little consumer robots, forever waiting for the next titillating new toy to spend our money on! "If only they'd.." insert pet new feature desire that solves all your photographic problems here, only to be replaced by the next one when they announce the next model that includes it.

How much "more more more better better better better" is needed to escape the circle of reflex equipment acquisition and do photography?

V

Vivek

The NEX-7 still has its drawbacks, AFAIC. With small manual focus wide primes, the NEX-C3 is my most used NEX currently. The 7 just sits around though I have all the E mount primes (barring the 19/2.8 DN).

What the C3 lacks, for me, is the electronic first curtain shutter (the major thing) which is of course available in a 5N. But I like a flat bottom in my cameras (had the 5 and never liked it). Handholding for shots less than 1/80s without having shake is simply not possible for me. The 7 is better in that regard but the higher pixel density essentially negates all that ergonomic advantage.

The F3 might have the shutter like the 5N. No one could confirm that for me. Sony never released any details (afaik). I am not at all comfortable with this idea of either the EVF or the flash. NEX-7 would have been perfect in that regard had they kept their excellent 16mp sensor which is making rounds in every camera there is (Leica, Pentax, Nikon, etc, etc.).

I am going to have a serious look at the rumored Canon debut in a few months. If they offer something that suits my requirements plus their radio wireless system, it will be a done deal.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Vivek, I am still paying the NEX-7 off against the OM-D—the NEX-3 does not have a built-in EVF which I now feel is essential. How do you use yours?

Oren Grad

Rumors have it that the only features the new F3 and F5 are the 180deg flip up screen for self portraits and the there is a wifi in F5. No integrated evf , no hotshoe nothing that is really useful for photography.
But this has been the story of m4/3 too - there's been only one major generational change in sensor technology and fundamental imaging capability so far, but in the meantime the available models have been iterated furiously with minor changes.

Sony is doing the same thing with the SLTs, and, alas, it seems that Canon may be falling into that trap as well with the low-end and midrange models that use its 18MP sensor.

The bigger issue with Sony and its future is that they're not making any money in cameras. But they've declared imaging as part of their new strategic focus, so it seems they'll be at it for a while yet.

MikalWGrass

Pegelli, I still use two film M6s (one is 12 years old, the other older) and plan on using them until my fingers can no longer press the shutter.

I am looking for a replacement for the a900 which is 2.5 years old. I don't need something better but I do need something different and lighter. This weekend I am going to Disney with my family, and I don't really want to carry the a900 and a standard minolta 50/1.4, but my wife wants digital. The nex 7 seems to be perfectly sized for what I need, plus it takes whatever glass I have. Yeah, I would like an M9, but it isn't practical because I wouldn't bring it to Disney, on family trips, or to the beach to photograph triathlons.

I see the "cool" people in Miami with the latest gear and it will get even worse now that the Leica store is opening up here in Coral Gables. Every fondler / bozo around town will be sporting a new M body and lens, but they won't be taking pictures because they won't know how to turn the damned thing on.

V

Vivek

Yes. One does not have to look far to see the evidence.
First off, I am not into old yellow porsches.;)

Do you folks have any clue about what is being discussed here or just oozing some random wisdom? :rolleyes:

The upcoming NEX-F5 is rumored to have wifi and 180 deg flip screen to do self portraits because Samsung have come with such a camera (with wifi). Sony got beat thoroughly by Samsung in their TV department and now they are doing follow the "leader" and are likely to end up similarly with their "imaging division" as well, at this rate.

V

Vivek

Vivek, I am still paying the NEX-7 off against the OM-D—the NEX-3 does not have a built-in EVF which I now feel is essential. How do you use yours?
Kit, I am using a newly "discovered" NEX-C3. This is not the NEX-3. Very different sensor.

I use it exactly as if there is no EVF on the NEX-7 or the OM-D. The LCD can be tilted, as you know. :)

4season

What's the big deal, this is just a minor product refresh. "Minor" to us that is. Not trivial for someone who likes to include themselves in their photos (Japan domestic market) or who really wanted a built-in flash. They aren't just competing against Samsung after all, but against phones, tablets and handheld game consoles too.

mazor

Also the F3 (haven't seen the specs for the F5 yet) has a pop-up flash and a port to mount the external viewfinder. In my mind these are useful features versus the NEX 3 / C3

I have both the nex 5 and nex 5n. The difference in formfactors and controls are pretty similar with the 5n just having a few more custom menu features, but in terms of sensor quality, the nex 5 sensor does not seem any where the same perceived sharpness that the 5n has. I don't think the mp difference is causing this, rather possibly the 5 has a stronger AA filter, but it just looks mushy compared to the 5n.

pegelli

I know mazor and in hindsight I probably should have waited for the 5n but I didn't. Both the better sensor as well as the viewfinder port are big attractions in the 5n for me. However I have convinced myself that always getting the latest and greatest camera doesn't improve my pictures so much that it justifies the cost involved. I have learned to be happy with what I have and will probably jump round about the time that the successor of the successor of the F5 is in the shops.

Godfrey

First off, I am not into old yellow porsches. ...
Got the wrong marque, Vivek.
Let it roll off your tongue: "Mercedes" .. Doesn't sound anything like "Porsche."

];-)

...The upcoming NEX-F5 is rumored to have wifi and 180 deg flip screen to do self portraits because Samsung have come with such a camera (with wifi). Sony got beat thoroughly by Samsung in their TV department and now they are doing follow the "leader" and are likely to end up similarly with their "imaging division" as well, at this rate.
Who really cares? I don't.
Sony has some nice cameras ... If I wanted one, I'd buy it and make photographs. I don't buy cameras on future potentials, I buy cameras on what they do. And I certainly don't need wifi in my cameras.

douglasf13

Sony always refreshes their low end models frequently with new different/feature sets introduced all of the time. I think this makes sense, if you don't plan on buying cameras every year, because Sony ticked the right boxes for some users with the 5N and C3, and now they're going after other users that wanted other features. The 7 and 9 level cameras are usually around for a few years, and, frankly, that's what Sony expects you to buy if you want all of the advanced controls and the better sensor in a camera you'll keep for a while. Now, I know that the NEX-7 isn't better if you're using rangefinder lenses, but we can't really expect Sony to cater to that.

I can't really imagine going back to my 5 or 5N after using the 7.

rayyan

Rumors have it that.....
First off, I am not into old yellow porsches.;)

Do you folks have any clue about what is being discussed here or just oozing some random wisdom? :rolleyes:
Since we are into discussing ' rumors '; it really does not matter whether we discuss ' yellow porsches ' or have/ not have a clue about anything.

Better to ooze wisdom about something, random or otherwise, than have incessant discussion about ' rumors ' .:sleep006: