The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to eliminate accidental videos: NEX 7

douglasf13

I was thinking about making a little ring around the button with Sugru. Do you think it'll be easy to remove in the future, if Sony has a firmware solution?

monza

That one is more aesthetic, despite the redneck description. Which makes mine a confirmed hack. :)

hot

Someone must be very clumsy and untalented to push video button accidently. When my NEX7 was new, it happened (for me) 2x, since this time never.

... don't buy a Kalashnikov!

V

Vivek

Someone must be very clumsy and untalented to push video button accidently. When my NEX7 was new, it happened (for me) 2x, since this time never.

... don't buy a Kalashnikov!
Change that "someone" to "most". ;)

BTW, if you had accidentally triggered a Kalashnikov, even once, pointing at yourself, you would not be here typing this sort of stuff. Think about it. :ROTFL:

hot

monza's solution is terrible, looks like a camera from movie "Zoombie III"
Such things you can make with HelloKittyCam. Or people using NEX7 as children toy and not for photographing ...

monza

I don't care how it looks, it's how it works. The grip helps as the 7 is very small, and the video button cannot be pushed accidentally.

I'm sure someone else can come up with something prettier if they want.

alba63

Someone must be very clumsy and untalented to push video button accidently.
Sorry, but this is unnecessary presumption.

The video button is exactly in the place where the thumb of my right hand naturally lies. I hold the camera in my right hand, and operate the right upper wheel all the time with the thumb. Try it out, and you will probably find that your thumb covers the video button then. Since the (otherwise excellent) user interface of the Nex-7 suggests that almost all important buttons and wheels can be operated with the thumb of the right hand, this is about the worst location for the video button.

No button should be placed in the way that any finger covers it almost permanently.

So yes, if you think of that specific Nex-7 issue all the time you may be able to avoid it, but I do not want to do that.

Bottom of the line: Pressing the vid button is hardly clumsyness or lack of talent, it is just what naturally happens when you use the user interface of the camera all the time.

Bernhard

Terry

monza's solution is terrible, looks like a camera from movie "Zoombie III"
Such things you can make with HelloKittyCam. Or people using NEX7 as children toy and not for photographing ...
People are really tired of your hello kitty sarcasm.

You might not have the same problem being discussed here but given that there are a lot of people on this forum with the issue, almost every review has stated the problem and there are articles written on how to modify the camera this isn't an imaginary problem.

If the topic doesn't interest you or doesn't impact you, state your point and move on.

monza

The nature of Sugru is it comes in small packets and once it is opened, you have to use it or it will dry out. At first I wanted to just obscure the video button, but then I decided to make a small grip as otherwise the balance of the Sugru would be wasted.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I like your solution, Robert, because it does not involve permanant damage to the camera. My solution was to lay a tiny washer (with a hole bigger than the button) on top and then putting several rounds of gaffer's tape on top of the washer. I finished it off with a larger piece of gaffer's tape. I can still press the record button if I need to, but it doesn't go on by incidental presses anymore. I must be a real klutz, because mine was always coming on at the most inconvenient times.

monza

No klutziness is required. :) They just put it in a poor location. It should be the flat button that is next to the shutter button (I don't even know what that one is for!)

The Sugru is pretty much invisible in use, this might be useful for vain shooters like hot. :) But the twin dials are still easily accessible.

monza

I also used Sugru on a generic quick release plate so it conforms to the bottom of the NEX 7. The camera base is very narrow and there isn't much surface area for the plate to contact, the Sugru eliminates that problem and the camera is rock solid on a tripod.

monza

Obsessed aren't we. I didn't want to waste the black Sugru on a test, as there was only one package of black.

But only hot cares about the color, which isn't even visible when it's doing it's job.

Here is one of my sachtler quick releases. Unfortunately the red release latch makes it entirely unusable. ;)