Site Sponsors

Thread: Strange but true- NEX

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exclamation Strange but true- NEX

The NEX-5N' shutter unit has 3 holes (for screws) for it to be secured to the plastic frame (body) but there is literally no room in the frame for the screws and is held by just a single screw!

NEX-7 has that few mm on top and the shutter unit (not different than the ones in 5N') is secured by 3 screws to the thin plastic frame.
    Last edited by Vivek; 29th June 2012 at 14:37.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strange but true- NEX

haha you saying the 5n sensor may come loose eventually with a single screw attachment and if this screw loostens the 5n sensor focal plane may change or maybe tilt even lol. free tilte sensor design!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The sensor is secured with 4 screws. It is the shutter assembly (probably the heaviest unit in the whole cam* and the only one that has moving parts) that is put there with a single screw!

* or it could be the mount that is heavier.

dekie

In the NEX 3 the shutter assembly is secured with three (copper colored) screws:

Undressing a Sony NEX Camera

dekie

And here you can see that the NEX 5N shutter assembly is secured with only one screw.

Practical Nature Photography: Disassembly of the Sony NEX-5N digital camera

Post Thanks / Like

Crikey I hope my Nex-5n holds up when I take it to Burma. I wonder how much it would cost to repair it, if such a problem developed?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Since I have a broken NEX-5N (cracked body from a fall and the shutter mechanism is beyond repair), I could examine it as I please.

Interestingly, the crack occurred in the bottom front portion of the body. No plastic parts were affected.

I was curious. The front portion of the NEX-5N looks like plastic, extremely light weight but scratches like metal.

It is just an astonishing material that I have not encountered before. It appears to be cast aluminum foam. Aluminum metal with air content somewhere between 70 to 98% by weight!