Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NEX-7, what's the verdict now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: NEX-7, what's the verdict now?

These symmetrical wide lenses really perform well on the GXR, which has no AA filter, and, allegedly, a different micro lens arrangement, although I'd bet it is mostly just the lack of AA filter. The 5N and 7's sensors likely have similar AA filter and micro lens arrangements, but my guess would be that the smaller pixel size causes the issues with the 7. There are still issues with various wides on the 5N, but they aren't as pronounced. I still needed to use CornerFix with my ZM 35/2 on the 5N.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    I went to the local gadget pusher today and gave both the NEX-7 and the OM-D a try. I have to say that while it was possible to hold the OM-D, the grip was uncomfortably small for my size 8 claws. Of course I could add a proprietary or third party grip. The NEX-7 on the other hand was much more comfortable and natural to hold.

It was also interesting to see that while many people have liked the Olympus UI and not so much liked the Sony one, in just a short try without reading any manuals before or anything, I actually felt the opposite. Pushing a button on the NEX opened the "operating system menu" and most things were found there. On the other hand, on the Olympus there were cryptic looking buttons which I failed to activate or they did something quite different from what I'd expected. I'm sure both cameras would be quite nice to use after some experience though.

The NEX built-in flash felt so fragile that can't imagine using it and not breaking it within weeks.

Jugding the looks and the form factor are quite subjective. I guess many like the retro SLR looks of the OM-D, but I'd prefer something looking more like a rangefinder (even though I have never even touched one). The fake prism space (probably housing the EVF) makes the camera body protrude somewhat. In looks and form factor, I prefer the NEX.

Being a eyeglass user, the NEX EVF seemed to demand the firm contact to turn on, while with the Olympus one it was enough that I was a bit further.

Still don't know which I prefer on the whole, but I'm a little turning to the NEX side right now. Perhaps I'll just take a time-out now.
    I (still) own both and have to say the OMD feels better with the additional grip which I allways use. I recommend to check it out when you compare the cameras.
    In the end I will probably stay with the OMD, because this is an additional camera for me to bigger cams. For my use the OMD has the advantages being weatherproof and feeling more solid, being faster AF, and offering more flexible (and smaller) lens options for such a camera.
    Having said that I also find the Nex to be a fine camera and I would give it the edge in IQ.
    I am not using third party lenses on those cams - if Iwanted to I would prefer the Nex with focus peaking.
    Both very fine cams, I just think the Nex feels more fragile while the OMD feels like one can treat it a little worse (which is impoortant for me because I bring it for outdoor activities often)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KenLee View Post
    Do those same lenses perform well on other APS-C sensors ? In other words, is it the size of the sensor combined with lenses of short or retrofocus design (and hence the extreme angle of light reaching the sensor), or something about the sensor itself ?
    with your b&w work I don't think it would matter.

Post Thanks / Like

"with your b&w work I don't think it would matter."

Yes - b&w, and I never shoot wide lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still impressed with the 7! It has a little bit of everything, is small and light, with fill flash and great EVF, though OVF is still my favorite. I mainly come from a rangefinder background, can't take the weight and size of even "smaller" dSLRs. But the 7 has some features of a dSLR that I do want right now, such as the fill flash.
    With all the GAS and digital rot and buy and sell every 6 months, I can say that the 7 will be a keeper for awhile. I use mainly with Leica/CV/Zeiss glass. I will say that, one of the main reasons I like the 7 so much is the Zeiss lens made specifically for the 7. This lens is kinda big, but I dont use the hood, its too damn big. I put a UV filter on the front, and find that the MRC coating of the lens is good enough to thwart most situations that flare might present itself.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We need more lenses for the system. Otherwise, good camera. Just ordered a Sony RX100 for true shirt-pocket portability and near Nex-7 quality (apparently), which was my original justification for getting a Nex-7 (smallest high quality camera with 20+mp). I somehow suspect that my Nex-7 might get squeezed between any new high mp full frame dslr that Sony may eventually release and the RX100, but in the meantime I expect the NEX-7 to remain a regular companion on photo outings.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rose, 2012
    35-105mm Zoom Nikkor (~1984)

The one thing I would really like to see is a preview which actually shows you what you're going to see as you adjust the exposure compensation. Perhaps I'm missing something, but even my little Canon point&shoot lets you do that. Even so, it's stupifying how small and light this camera is: the ratio of size to MP is formidable.

Post Thanks / Like

kenlee - setup > Live View Display > Setting Effect ON

Post Thanks / Like

Eureka !

Thank you !

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i have been a bit of a dilettante; have been happily using the OMD, the Nex languishing. Picked up the Nex today, it is nice all over again, just different!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    kenlee - setup > Live View Display > Setting Effect ON

Thank you also. I have been wishing I could turn it off!

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, is there a way to adjust how easily the EVF is turned on? I have tried the NEX-7 briefly at the nearby store and it feels nearly unusable with glasses: I had to have a very solid contact to the EVF rubber cover to have the EVF stay on, while the OM-D was much better in this regard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Thank you also. I have been wishing I could turn it off!
    Now that I've tried it, I agree with you. It doesn't really emulate the actual picture very closely.

Post Thanks / Like

The NEX 7 is so good that it has relegated my beloved 5N to back up status for my small system, and let me sell my 5D III with Zeiss primes. The colours, detail and dynamic range that I get out of it are unprecedented in my experience. That is, with world-class glass. Some is cheap, relatively, like the sensational Contax G 45 and 90, some is ridiculously expensive, like the mind-blowing Leica Elamr 24mm f:3.8, some in between, like the Zeiss ZM 18 f:4.0 and 35 f:2.0. The 18 and 24 on this list require Cornerfix, which cleans up the shots perfectly.
    Sure the NEX 7 has weaknesses. The EVF is not as good as the clever EVF-OVF combo on the Fuji X-100. The video button is stupidly placed and infuriating. High ISO is not as good as I'd like. And of course colourshift.
    The format just about perfect. Not too small, which the 5N is IMHO, and still compact and stealthy, with good controls once you set them up the way you like them.
    There is a wealth of good AF glass for lowish prices (Sony 50 and 30mm primes, Sony kit lens, Sigma 30mm and 19mm). What is severely lacking is good AF glass of a higher level of performance and price, which Fuji and M4/3 have. Sony are mooted to bring out a 18-55 pancake zoom in G quality soon, which should help. Some people like the Sony Zeiss ZA 24 f:1.8. I could not bring myself to love it, despite my owning some 10 other Zeiss lenses. Good at short range, disappointing at infinity, and with mediocre colours. So unlike Zeiss that I tried 3 copies before passing judgement, and I know some very able 'togs who love theirs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I somehow suspect that my Nex-7 might get squeezed between any new high mp full frame dslr that Sony may eventually release and the RX100, but in the meantime I expect the NEX-7 to remain a regular companion on photo outings.
    Well, it is the unclear position that the (excellent) Nex-7 had in my setup that made me sell it: It competes with my Canon 5d II in terms of resolution (it can actually be slightly better even), it competes with my old Fuji S3/ S5pro (that I keep for nostalgic reasons and because those cameras still can make wonderful pics, albeit with mediocre resolution) in terms of DR, which made me constantly wonder which camera to pick up and use.

The Nex-7 seduces by it's small size and weight, but I just like that FF look of a 35mm sensor. It does not show in each and every shot, but the difference is there, and not only with shallow DOF.

So I finally changed the Nex-7 against a 5n and am very happy with it. The touch screen with AF select has even certain advantages over the N7, and the image quality is very close. Enough for me. DSLRs are not yet replaceable by mirrorless cameras, mainly for AF speed. Nex cameras are still way to slow for faster moving targets, like my little daughter when playing.

regards
    Bernie

Post Thanks / Like

NEX-7 is a grea camera, in fact, it works for me as if it is a compact digital back with video capabilities.
    With mechanical adapter, it can make use of lots of legacy lenses and many current production lenses of different make, and with the new Metabones Smart Adapter II, it works very well with Canon EF lenses - except AF - which said is under development.
    It is now becomes the snapshop camera I use in my studio, really nice quality i tis capable of producing.
    Both image were made in studio, with Pocketwizard trigger device thru a hotshoe adapter, using E 18-55 lens.

Pingang

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely portraits, Pingang!