The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-7, what's the verdict now?

emr

BTW, is there a way to adjust how easily the EVF is turned on? I have tried the NEX-7 briefly at the nearby store and it feels nearly unusable with glasses: I had to have a very solid contact to the EVF rubber cover to have the EVF stay on, while the OM-D was much better in this regard.

philber

The NEX 7 is so good that it has relegated my beloved 5N to back up status for my small system, and let me sell my 5D III with Zeiss primes. The colours, detail and dynamic range that I get out of it are unprecedented in my experience. That is, with world-class glass. Some is cheap, relatively, like the sensational Contax G 45 and 90, some is ridiculously expensive, like the mind-blowing Leica Elamr 24mm f:3.8, some in between, like the Zeiss ZM 18 f:4.0 and 35 f:2.0. The 18 and 24 on this list require Cornerfix, which cleans up the shots perfectly.
Sure the NEX 7 has weaknesses. The EVF is not as good as the clever EVF-OVF combo on the Fuji X-100. The video button is stupidly placed and infuriating. High ISO is not as good as I'd like. And of course colourshift.
The format just about perfect. Not too small, which the 5N is IMHO, and still compact and stealthy, with good controls once you set them up the way you like them.
There is a wealth of good AF glass for lowish prices (Sony 50 and 30mm primes, Sony kit lens, Sigma 30mm and 19mm). What is severely lacking is good AF glass of a higher level of performance and price, which Fuji and M4/3 have. Sony are mooted to bring out a 18-55 pancake zoom in G quality soon, which should help. Some people like the Sony Zeiss ZA 24 f:1.8. I could not bring myself to love it, despite my owning some 10 other Zeiss lenses. Good at short range, disappointing at infinity, and with mediocre colours. So unlike Zeiss that I tried 3 copies before passing judgement, and I know some very able 'togs who love theirs.

alba63

I somehow suspect that my Nex-7 might get squeezed between any new high mp full frame dslr that Sony may eventually release and the RX100, but in the meantime I expect the NEX-7 to remain a regular companion on photo outings.
Well, it is the unclear position that the (excellent) Nex-7 had in my setup that made me sell it: It competes with my Canon 5d II in terms of resolution (it can actually be slightly better even), it competes with my old Fuji S3/ S5pro (that I keep for nostalgic reasons and because those cameras still can make wonderful pics, albeit with mediocre resolution) in terms of DR, which made me constantly wonder which camera to pick up and use.

The Nex-7 seduces by it's small size and weight, but I just like that FF look of a 35mm sensor. It does not show in each and every shot, but the difference is there, and not only with shallow DOF.

So I finally changed the Nex-7 against a 5n and am very happy with it. The touch screen with AF select has even certain advantages over the N7, and the image quality is very close. Enough for me. DSLRs are not yet replaceable by mirrorless cameras, mainly for AF speed. Nex cameras are still way to slow for faster moving targets, like my little daughter when playing.

regards
Bernie

Pingang

NEX-7 is a grea camera, in fact, it works for me as if it is a compact digital back with video capabilities.
With mechanical adapter, it can make use of lots of legacy lenses and many current production lenses of different make, and with the new Metabones Smart Adapter II, it works very well with Canon EF lenses - except AF - which said is under development.
It is now becomes the snapshop camera I use in my studio, really nice quality i tis capable of producing.
Both image were made in studio, with Pocketwizard trigger device thru a hotshoe adapter, using E 18-55 lens.

Pingang