Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NEX-7, what's the verdict now?

Post Thanks / Like

NEX-7, what's the verdict now?

Sony NEX-7 sounded like a fantastic camera when it was released, raising waves everywhere. I have been seriously considering getting one too, but am late to the game as always. But it's starting to look to me that quite a few early adopters have moved on. So how do you see it today, people who are still using it and people who have moved on? What are its strengths and weaknesses? Would you still buy one today or is an "OMG" (I know that's not the real name) or a Fuji X Pro1 (or whatever the exact confusing name is) a better option?

In addition to the Sony AF lenses I'd probably use some M42 manual ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEX-7, what's the verdict now?

I've a lot of cameras, one better than the other. Than I bought (november - but flood made january) a NEX7 for less money than today's price - it's my BEST camera!
    I use it with ~ 30 lenses from 8mm to 500mm, most photos are 3D (REAL 3D, not Sony 3D)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    What are its strengths and weaknesses?
    Plastic body which makes it light weight at the same time susceptible to shock and cracks.

The shutter mechanism still needs improvement (may be Sony will get it with NEX-11).

Sensor assembly (the sensor itself is great) needs an overhaul. We will perhaps see that in NEX-9. I am sure that an upgrade (or a F7 or i7) is coming soon.

This is a system that has lot of "potential". I have all the "system" prime lenses plus numerous others.

After using it since debut, I think Sony make a lot of profit out of these. Initial price (ie., the current one) could be a ~30% less.

Sony do not issue FW upgrades but come up with a new model.

Post Thanks / Like

For NEX5 there was a very good FW update - for NEX7 I do not need an update.
    For me NEX7 is perfect.

"A camera without EVF and movable display is a toy."

NEX7 has both, a very good sensor, etc. - also Lumix G/GH's

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But it's starting to look to me that quite a few early adopters have moved on.
    I think that is simply called GAS. Take a look at these forums and it will become clear that most members are constantly cycling gear in an endless search for the holy grail camera - or as a cure for boredom.

The 7 is one of the best current APS-C cameras on the market, period. If you are looking for a not too big, not too small body, with excellent controls, a great EVF, effective MF (peaking) system for adapted legacy lenses and high resolution, I don't think you can go wrong choosing the Sony.

Personally, I have found the 7 to be truly outstanding YET, it tends to sit on the shelf because I grab the C3 when I need something small (most times) and the A900 when I shoot professionally or just really want the most out of my FF lenses. For someone else who only wants or needs one camera body and has some great legacy glass they want to shoot with, I think it is just about perfect.

The trick is being honest about how you use your camera - is ultra low light performance essential, how big is small enough, do you want to build up a cache of new system lenses, etc. and then choose the system that fits your needs.

Good luck.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    ...snip... For someone else who only wants or needs one camera body and has some great legacy glass they want to shoot with, I think it is just about perfect.

Good luck.
    I am that someone else....NEX7 is just about perfect for me and I am really happy with this camera and have no lust for anything else digital right now.

emr, the NEX7 works very well with with Sony AF lenses and legacy glass, with the proper adapters. It is very easy to manual focus with this body.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Still a great camera and I use it often with both legacy mount lenses and native e mount glass. I also have and use the XP1, mostly with native X mount lenses, because MF is not as well implemented compared to the NEX7. Both cameras offer very good DR and the Fuji excels at high ISO. The good DR of both the NEX7 and Fuji XP1 is one of the features that drew me away from m43.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The best camera, if you have a lot of legacy glass.

Pros:
    Great sensor
    Great viewfinder
    Focus peaking
    Tilting LCD for candid shooting
    Good for bigger prints (compared to M4/3)

Cons:
    Childish interface which I tend to avoid.
    Starts filming by accident.
    Not good with symmetrical wide angles.
    No build in IS (compared to Olympus M4/3)

For wide angles - no colour shift at all -I use the Ricoh GXR, mainly with the Leica M module.
    Very good camera as well with less pixels, a slightly worse viewfinder with focus peaking, but with great files and a much better interface.
    And a stronger and nicer body.

Michiel
    Last edited by Michiel Schierbeek; 1st July 2012 at 11:14.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I owned it and sold it not because it was bad in any way. I just like using the Fuji better. When I got the Fuji and the OMD I had three systems and didn't want to keep all three. Because the best lenses for the NEX overlap with the lenses for Fuji, the Sony was the one to go. I felt like I had better zoom choices in m4/3 than with NEX (native lenses not adapted).

While focus peaking is very nice the one thing that seemed exaggerated to me was the Sony EVF. Personally I don't think it is the best EVF. I was never able to get the contrast under control and felt like I could see the tones and better judge exposure with both the OMD and the GH2.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I owned it and sold it not because it was bad in any way. I just like using the Fuji better.
    There is no denying that extra element of "operational enjoyment".

Post Thanks / Like

I just come back from a beach week- end on the baltic sea, I took with me the Nikon d700 + 2 lenses and the Nex with 3 lenses (Kit, 50/1,8, 30/2,8 sig). I used both, some of the nex shots are very nice, huge DR (better than d700) in sun/ shadow situations plus intense good colours.

BUT: The sluggish compact cam class AF makes it a not- so- serious camera: Most of the d700 shots (also those of my daughter dancing, jumping/ running on the beach) are in focus, sharp and well lit - many of the same type with the Nex are out of focus -

So my short bottom of the line: Within it's relatively small sweet spot the Nex is a very good camera with a sensor that shines. At the borders of it's comfort zone it looses against a good DSLR, big time.

Bernie

Post Thanks / Like

Like Terry, I sold my NEX-7; for me, the EVF was the least convincing part—to the point I sent it back to the dealer, asking if it was within spec. He offered to swap it with his personal camera, so he obviously thought it was fine. I simply could not get a clear image though it, unlike the OM-D, which I have literally set once and forgotten.

As well, the OM-D has fast AF (not as fast as the D3s, but fast enough).

My final negatives with the NEX-7 are its poor performance with UWA (the CV 12/5.6 is one of my favourite lenses) and the (to me) very large Sony prime lenses (thinking here of the 50/1.8). With that fitted, the camera in no way can be considered small. Sensor size and physics, I imagine.

The OM-D, while not being the body I mount the CV 12 on, has an excellent UWA of its own (the Panny 7–14) and the other primes (12/2, 20/1.7, and 50/1.8 are excellent.
    Kit Laughlin, www.StretchTherapy.net/, www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Really enjoyed my time with the NEX-7, but upon getting the XPro-1, I had far too much kit, so the NEX went. It's a lovely camera, as others have said, particularly for the wide array of glass adaptable to it.

I ultimately sold the camera, as it's layout, menu structure, and build made it feel more like a consumer electronics gizmo than a camera. The XPro-1, for some reason, appeals to my camera aesthetic more, and I like the files that the XPro-1 produces, which are clearer with more pop and clarity, despite the XPro-1's weakness, which is laggy AF. Overall, I think that the NEX-7 is a fantastic piece of kit for those willing to explore its features and adapt high quality glass onto it....

But at the end of the day, it left my kit, and surely has another home where it's loved....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy my NEX 7 for its strengths like any camera I use. I agree with Kit that I wish it worked better with wide angle legacy glass or that Sony would produce a G or Zeiss UWA e mount but we can't have everything.

The flash, hot shoe, and EVF are of little importance to me as I still try and shoot it as I did my NEX 5 with the LCD out and at waist level or ground level off a tripod with a remote shutter device. The shutter button on the 7 is not as easy to use as the 5 was at waist level and I often trigger the **** video button by accident.

I used to carry the Contax G 28 and 35 in my NEX 5 kit and used a workaround when I wanted to use the 28. For me the 28 on the NEX7 is a no go at any aperture due to corner smearing and color shift so it and the 35 have gone back in the Contax G2 bag with my 21mm. Instead I got the 30mm Sigma and it does a fine job when that focal length is needed. Usually the Contax G 45mm live on my NEX7 but I do carry a assortment of focal lengths in both e mount and legacy glass.

Knowing what I know now I should of followed my gut instinct and bypassed the current NEX 7 and waited for the next version that might of worked better with legacy glass like the 5n did for the 5. Live and learn .... Anyway for what it does do well it does very well and I am using and enjoying mine for what it's strengths are. Base ISO resolution with Zeiss glass

Post Thanks / Like

Sony NEX-7 sounded like a fantastic camera when it was released, raising waves everywhere. I have been seriously considering getting one too, but am late to the game as always. But it's starting to look to me that quite a few early adopters have moved on. So how do you see it today, people who are still using it and people who have moved on? What are its strengths and weaknesses? Would you still buy one today or is an "OMG" (I know that's not the real name) or a Fuji X Pro1 (or whatever the exact confusing name is) a better option?

In addition to the Sony AF lenses I'd probably use some M42 manual ones.
    No pun intended, but many of the "early adopters" to the NEX7 were early adotpers to pretty much most of the recent premium mirrorless offerings to then move on relatively soon. I'm not pretending not to be vulnerable to GAS attacks as well. However, I have the NEX7 to complement my M9 and to get as much use out of M-lenses as possible. I particularly like it for use with m-lenses 50mm and longer. Thanks to focus peaking, super fast shutter release, fast frame rate and an excellent EVF it's great for action shooting (in comparison with an M rather than with a DSLR). Once set up the way one wants it, the user interface is quite brilliant and no diving into the menu system necessary any longer. I suggest to read LL where you will find some good information about and comparison with the NEX7. I bought the XPro 1 about 2 months ago and simply don't bond with it, it neither complements the M9 nor betters it (except for high iso) in any way. As much as I want to like it, it's not my camera and will be sold soon. The Fuji's mediocre AF accuracy and speed, diopter adjustment working either for the OVF or EVF (far sighted) but not for both, crippled MF implementation, noticable shutter lag, RAW support (?) are among the more annoying weaknesses for me.

Post Thanks / Like

With the NEX and Alpha SLT-series cameras, Sony seems to be redefining what a modern camera should be, without clinging to 20th century models. And as a photographic instrument, I think the NEX-7 is brilliant in many ways. But I can totally understand if not everyone feels at ease with it. In some ways it's almost like switching from DOS and 5.25" floppy disks to a Macintosh with it's mouse and graphical interface: Some power users stayed with the DOS command line for years, because it was what they knew, and they were good at it, and DOS applications like Word Perfect and Lotus 1-2-3 were enormously successful in their time.

I'll admit that I struggle with it sometimes too: Not the controls, which in fact work very well, but the part about wrapping my brain around the notion that something so small can do so much.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you are ok with an EVF (and they can take some getting used to initially), then the NEX7 is a wonderful camera.

The only issue for me is that there is currently precious little choice of lenses.

As to using it with adapters, I use mine with Contax G lenses and am more than happy with the cheapo Ebay adapter and also with the ease of use on the NEX7 where manual focus is a breeze.

The Sigma lenses are well worth considering if AF is wanted.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great Camera, but I moved on to the Olympus OMD because:

1. the OMD has in body Image Stabilisation - useful on 3rd party lenses
    2. more lens choice
    3. more 'photographer' based interface.
    4. less depth of field control with the OMD

I found that if I put down the NEX7 for a week, it took a few minutes to remember how to use it - not catastrophic, but irritating. The Olympus isn't perfect, but it works pretty much like every other camera.

As my main system is full frame - it's nice to have m4/3 as a contrast from a depth of field point of view (sometimes more is better!).

The real clincher is the IBIS, which is very helpful - especially when shooting Leica R telephotos (mind you the missing focus peaking on the OMD is regrettable).

Altogether, a close run thing, the NEX7 is a great camera - but for me the OMD just about won out.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Great Camera, but I moved on to the Olympus OMD because:

1. the OMD has in body Image Stabilisation - useful on 3rd party lenses
    I was never a fan of IBIS on previous Olympus cameras - never felt like it was doing much - but I hear it is excellent on the OMD and after seeing what it can do in the A900, I'm a big fan and hope Sony brings this to a high-end NEX model in the future.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only handled the NEX 7 in the store. I immediately didn't like its controls and menus so didn't buy, even though the concept is very appealing to me.

Of the cameras in this size and type class, with interchangeable lenses, I still like the Ricoh GXR with A12 Camera Mount best as I have my choice of manual focus lenses (which I prefer) and it does a better job with the wides than anything short of the M8/M9. The viewfinder isn't as good, but everything else about the GXR makes me happier than the NEX 7.

(The Olympus E-M5 seems a different class of camera to me: it's more like a small DSLR in form factor, feel, and use dynamics. Very nice, very slick ... but I'm reluctant getting into mFT system once more as I have enough equipment, more than I need. I'm pretty happy with my current system cameras.)
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keeping the 7 and selling the fuji. The 7 is more functional with my Leica lenses. I use it as a backup and in poor light situations where the M9's limited high ISO capacity starts to bind.
    woody
    Woody's twitter feed
    Woody's daily photo blog

Post Thanks / Like

Great camera, still love it.

But

Sony please update your firmware which needs help, especially the stupid ill placed movie button.

Post Thanks / Like

sony should make an option for like a double press to record, and single press to pause recording for their next firmware eh

Post Thanks / Like

agree mazor or make it programable for those who don't do video..... ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Each one has other wishes - why not buy the RIGHT camera?
    I never had desire for Olympus OMD (my first digital camera, years ago, was Olympus) - my LUMIXes fullfill all what OMD has (for half price, hehe)

NEX7 is the culminating thing I waited 5 years for. No wishes, no updates ... PEEEERFECT! 30 lenses in use, that's more than enough ... ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

once set up and used for a bit, you won't need to dig into menus except for a few items.

use the thumb rest. I grab the camera thumb rest first to avoid the video button.

1.5x is better than 2x crop factor for me.

1080p 60 or 24 fps is excellent.

evf and focus peaking are wonderful, I could never nail focus with the 5d. the evf helps me a lot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aside from the news reported here: President Hiroyuki Sasa says E-M5 sensor is from Sony! | 43 Rumors

one of the comments is quite intriguing- The OM-D's IQ will never be better than that of a NEX (due to the sheer size difference of the sensors).

Post Thanks / Like

That's right. Some people "invent new facts", hehe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Aside from the news reported here: President Hiroyuki Sasa says E-M5 sensor is from Sony! | 43 Rumors

one of the comments is quite intriguing- The OM-D's IQ will never be better than that of a NEX (due to the sheer size difference of the sensors).
    that is for now, eventually in the future there may manufacture MFT sensors to a level where it would be almost indistinguishable to the eye, and when that day comes, say E-m10 or something similar, the larger APS-C advantage will be no more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    that is for now, eventually in the future there may manufacture MFT sensors to a level where it would be almost indistinguishable to the eye, and when that day comes, say E-m10 or something similar, the larger APS-C advantage will be no more.
    If Oly stays with Sony, the quality will always be the same as APS-c sensors, except that they are quite a bit smaller & therefore file quality lesser. If they do not stay with Sony, they will hardly find another manufacturer that makes sensors as good as the Sonys.

Apart from that I believe that the OM-D has already enough IQ for normal shooting. I just prefer the look of larger sensors, APS-c being the minimum, you will not get the same smoothness in the transition of sharp to unsharp, in many cases anything like subject isolation will be hard. It is already not easy on the Nex.

In general it is obvious that new cameras and whole systems have been coming out all the time and will continue to do so permanently. I for myself try to settle with 2 systems (one DSLR, one mirrorless) even if newer ones are better in terms of features, responsiveness etc. It will never end, and I doubt that the guys (eveybody knows them in the forums) who burn through 2 completely different systems per year will find their holy grail anytime soon.

I recently read a very interesting interview with a german sociologist who wrote several books about acceleration as a general phenomenon in modern civilisation: We get more choices every year, and they come and go always faster. When you take a step back and look for a while, it is obvious that more choices (and more goods purchased) will not make you happier.

Sorry for that philosophical sidenote...

Cheers
    Bernie

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree though Bernie, thing is though, you could be stoned on this forum for saying so!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What?

How can we have new "fun with.." threads then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ultimately, I think bottom line in non-Leica M mirrorless is:

-Olympus OM-D has IBIS, fastest CDAF and m4/3 lens selection

-Nikon 1 has the fastest AF overall (PDAF)

-Fuji X-P1 has cool OVF (so does X100) and best high ISO

-Fuji X100 has cool OVF (so does X-P1,) leaf shutter and built-in ND (and, IMO, the best form factor)

-Sony NEX-7 has best EVF (debatable, but generally considered true,) low to mid ISO, and manual focus capabilities (about the same as GXR)

-Panasonic has best video mode and m4/3 lens selection

-GXR works best with M lenses and has best manual focus capabilities (about the same as NEX-7)

-Sony NEX-5N, while not being among the best at anything, necessarily, is very small and pretty good at everything

So... IMO, what I need is an X100 with interchangeable lenses, IBIS, on-sensor PDAF, high res EVF, high end video mode, focus peaking, a touchscreen, and a 24mp Sony sensor with GXR sensor toppings (some may prefer X-trans.) Heck, while we're at it, make it a 35mm sensor! LOL

For now, I'm shooting primarily the X100, and I'm supplementing it with the NEX-7, when I need more flexibility or resolution, which, honestly, isn't that often. At the end of the day, all of these cameras provide ample image quality, so I'm using what feels good right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I agree though Bernie, thing is though, you could be stoned on this forum for saying so!
    Very true, speaking from personal experience, on the other hand still pretty happy without a Nex 7 or even Nex 5N

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    So... IMO, what I need is an X100 with interchangeable lenses, IBIS, on-sensor PDAF, high res EVF, high end video mode, focus peaking, a touchscreen, and a 24mp Sony sensor with GXR sensor toppings (some may prefer X-trans.) Heck, while we're at it, make it a 35mm sensor! LOL
    I have a gut-feeling that the company that may deliver the nearest to your wish-list maybe Pentax/Ricoh

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope you're right, Keith, although I think the concept of the GXR is a bit off, in terms of paying for a new sensor for each lens (outside of the M module,) and the Q and K-01 are far away from anything I'd be interested in. The kicker would be the hybrid EVF/OVF, which I'm not too confident will come from anyone other than Fuji.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone new to decent digital cameras, I have found it delightful: small and light enough to fit in a large pocket, big sensor, large dynamic range, legacy lenses, focus peaking, image stabilization - at a reasonable price point. There are lots of very sharp and affordable legacy lenses out there, like the old Pentax 50mm used to make the photo below. We don't need to spend foolishly to take advantage of the 24MP sensor - especially when so many shots with this sort of camera are hand-held. If we crop off the corners and shoot at 8x10 or 11x14 ratio, image quality goes even higher :-)

www.kennethmorrislee.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KenLee View Post
    As someone new to decent digital cameras, I have found it delightful: small and light enough to fit in a large pocket, big sensor, large dynamic range, legacy lenses, focus peaking, image stabilization - at a reasonable price point.
    Yes, we forget so quickly. As little as 12 years ago - around 2000 - most shot still with film or crappy overpriced 0,7 MP compact cameras (a few had DLSRs with 2MP for 20.000 bucks).
    A well executed Nex-7 shot with a good lens (let's say a Contax G 45mm lens for 250 bucks) can rival a medium format quality in terms of DR; resolution and colour, available within 1- 2 hours as a large print from you home printer (like my Epson 3800).
    The camera/ lens combo costs little over 1000 (I even paid less), weighs almost nothing compared to anything in the traditional photo world and looks like a fu*****ng toy.

Never ever before such incredible quality has been so affordable and available as today. And yet people keep on complaining :-)

Well, it cannot prepare a hot cup of coffe, give you a hug, transmit TV channels or make phone calls. It even doesn't find good shots by itself. Well I knew I had forgotten something

Guess I will have to throw it on Ebay...

Bernie

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alba63 View Post

Never ever before such incredible quality has been so affordable and available as today. And yet people keep on complaining :-)

Bernie
    I really don't think people here were complaining but more just talking about their preferences in their favorite tools. I think pretty much everyone here would agree that the quality we get from most newer cameras is astounding and now it is becoming a matter of your own personal shooting style as what is the best fit.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Post Thanks / Like

Expectations change with the times. Sure I paid around $4000 for a 4meg Canon 1D back in the day but I darn well expect more than what it could deliver these days.

Its the same with cars or tv's etc. We don't still watch on a 27" analog CRT with wood cabinet even though that might of been top of the line. We don't still drive cars without seatbelts, airbags, fuel injection, a/c etc either.

I'm sure as well that whatever is top of the line as far as cameras goes today is hardly going to be worth mentioning 5 years from now.

Sony NEX7, Olympus EM-5 etc ? Probably worth $50 on Ebay for more of a kitsch appeal than anything because who knows what type of crazy adaptive liquid optics we may be shooting in the future.

Best to just enjoy what you've got today in the here and now because worrying about old tech, as well as new tech doesn't really accomplish much

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still very happy with my NEX 7. My biggest gripe is that the EVF becomes very grainy in low light making it hard to manually focus (at least with my eyes). That's about it.

I think it's a great package for it's size and it will do me until someone comes up with a FF mirrorless camera.
    Ben
    Perth, Australia

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody. Right now I'm really really torn between the NEX-7 and the OM-D. A nearby half-decent store even has both in stock (1199,90 for the NEX with the kit zoom, 1299,90 for the OM-D with the kit zoom). In addition to still photography, I'd shoot video every now and then. Like sometimes when my daughter has a swimming competition or something. Judging by the Dpreview, it seems that the NEX has the better video implementation. Especially for me living in the 50 Hz TV area. A Panasonic GH2 would be best for video I guess, but had one and didn't like it that much. I wonder if Olympus has any plans of improving the video in future firmware upgrades?

Then again, the OM-D has IBIS for all the manual lenses.

Oh, boy.

Post Thanks / Like

When I made the choice, I chose the larger sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Emr, I probably wouldn't worry too much about the differences in video, unless you're doing some kind of work for broadcast or something.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the local gadget pusher today and gave both the NEX-7 and the OM-D a try. I have to say that while it was possible to hold the OM-D, the grip was uncomfortably small for my size 8 claws. Of course I could add a proprietary or third party grip. The NEX-7 on the other hand was much more comfortable and natural to hold.

It was also interesting to see that while many people have liked the Olympus UI and not so much liked the Sony one, in just a short try without reading any manuals before or anything, I actually felt the opposite. Pushing a button on the NEX opened the "operating system menu" and most things were found there. On the other hand, on the Olympus there were cryptic looking buttons which I failed to activate or they did something quite different from what I'd expected. I'm sure both cameras would be quite nice to use after some experience though.

The NEX built-in flash felt so fragile that can't imagine using it and not breaking it within weeks.

Jugding the looks and the form factor are quite subjective. I guess many like the retro SLR looks of the OM-D, but I'd prefer something looking more like a rangefinder (even though I have never even touched one). The fake prism space (probably housing the EVF) makes the camera body protrude somewhat. In looks and form factor, I prefer the NEX.

Being a eyeglass user, the NEX EVF seemed to demand the firm contact to turn on, while with the Olympus one it was enough that I was a bit further.

Still don't know which I prefer on the whole, but I'm a little turning to the NEX side right now. Perhaps I'll just take a time-out now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again. Just one more question. The NEX-7 is worse than for example the NEX -5N with wide Leica M lenses. That has been mentioned in this thread and I have seen some comparison pictures too. But does that only affect lenses with very short flange focal distances or all the wide angles? I'd assume different optical challenges apply with a 20mm Leica M lens and say, a 20mm Pentax K lens which has a flange focal distance that is nearly 20mm longer. Or is there a difference in this regard?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's only with symmetrical, wide angle rangefinder lenses. So most Biogons, several of the Leicas that are 35mm or wider, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    It's only with symmetrical, wide angle rangefinder lenses. So most Biogons, several of the Leicas that are 35mm or wider, etc.
    Do those same lenses perform well on other APS-C sensors ? In other words, is it the size of the sensor combined with lenses of short or retrofocus design (and hence the extreme angle of light reaching the sensor), or something about the sensor itself ?

Post Thanks / Like

As the 5N works somewhat better with the same mount and flange focal length, there must be something about the sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the local gadget pusher today and gave both the NEX-7 and the OM-D a try. I have to say that while it was possible to hold the OM-D, the grip was uncomfortably small for my size 8 claws. Of course I could add a proprietary or third party grip. The NEX-7 on the other hand was much more comfortable and natural to hold.

It was also interesting to see that while many people have liked the Olympus UI and not so much liked the Sony one, in just a short try without reading any manuals before or anything, I actually felt the opposite. Pushing a button on the NEX opened the "operating system menu" and most things were found there. On the other hand, on the Olympus there were cryptic looking buttons which I failed to activate or they did something quite different from what I'd expected. I'm sure both cameras would be quite nice to use after some experience though.

The NEX built-in flash felt so fragile that can't imagine using it and not breaking it within weeks.

Jugding the looks and the form factor are quite subjective. I guess many like the retro SLR looks of the OM-D, but I'd prefer something looking more like a rangefinder (even though I have never even touched one). The fake prism space (probably housing the EVF) makes the camera body protrude somewhat. In looks and form factor, I prefer the NEX.

Being a eyeglass user, the NEX EVF seemed to demand the firm contact to turn on, while with the Olympus one it was enough that I was a bit further.

Still don't know which I prefer on the whole, but I'm a little turning to the NEX side right now. Perhaps I'll just take a time-out now.
    I have the same views as yourself. The EVF on the Nex7 demands firmer contact with my glasses to stay on continuously. That being said, the mag size of the image in the EVF is easily comparable to that of a D700 whereas in the OMD the size is more comparable to say a D70.

I'm leaning towards the NEX7 partially because of this, the fact that I have some lenses from my older NEX5, and at some focal lengths I need a thinner DOF which I found that I was not really getting with m43..

Beyond that both are really nice cameras! Shall do more research : P