The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hot shoe for NEX5, NEX5N, ...

F

fabianbono

Nice work fabianbono!

Has anyone confirmed what the max sync speed is with either setup?
Thanks!, is the life of poor man to solve problems!

Mr. "hot" speed tests give you the answers.
I got same sync speeds with my mod.

hot

I use Yongnuo YN460-II (universal), Yongnuo 467 (Canon TTL), Canon 550EX (Canon TTL), MeiKe 100 ringflash, Bilora 140 ringflash. Also works with my 30 years old Konica X24 and Vivitar 2500 ZoomThyristor.

warning!

petetsai

I got mine in yesterday, works as advertised which is nice, although having the pinout I may try and modify my viewfinder to add a shoe/sync port on top of it...

mazor

update: I have noticed the fit on the msa-10 is alot tighter on my 5n than on my 5. On the 5, the connection is still tight, but it seems heavy top heavy flashes like the 580 ex mounted. On the 5n, there is no movement using the 580 ex.

Also, I am having issues finding the option for live viewfinder not showing actual exposure on the 5, so the display seems dark alot of the time. This option is easily found in the setup menu in the 5n, and hence viewfinder is continuous bright, even with higher shutter speed selected in M mode

Last edited:

petetsai

correct, but I'll have to see if I will use the viewfinder enough to merit this. I've had a loaner nex-7 for the past couple weeks and I have had a few occasions where it was handy to use so we'll see.

mazor

correct, but I'll have to see if I will use the viewfinder enough to merit this. I've had a loaner nex-7 for the past couple weeks and I have had a few occasions where it was handy to use so we'll see.
Nice! But a very expensive accessory to mod ;) Don't want to break it.

Would it not be better to make a sort of double adapter for the accessory port, then one could plug in both the MSA-10 and an EVF, at the same time?

petetsai

You could do this using the extender made for use with the 18-200 however the deck of cards would be getting pretty tall at that point and fairly un-elegant looking....

mazor

wow, never knew about the Sony FA-EX1S flash extender. looks like a useful piece for the 18-200 abiet we now have msa-10 which with with the correct flash mounted can do the same job if not better.

douglasf13

update: I have noticed the fit on the msa-10 is alot tighter on my 5n than on my 5. On the 5, the connection is still tight, but it seems heavy top heavy flashes like the 580 ex mounted. On the 5n, there is no movement using the 580 ex.

Also, I am having issues finding the option for live viewfinder not showing actual exposure on the 5, so the display seems dark alot of the time. This option is easily found in the setup menu in the 5n, and hence viewfinder is continuous bright, even with higher shutter speed selected in M mode
This option isn't available on the NEX-5. It was new in the 5N.

mazor

many thanks for that douglasf13, that clarifys why I was unable to find that feature.

Looks like the MSA-10 adapter will stay on my 5n then. Just like petetsai said, only mod really left is to mod the EVF accessory to take PC signal so that one can plug in external light that way, while simultaneously using the EVF accessory

hot

These are quick & dirty test shots with
NEX5 + Yongnuo YN460-II + JJC MSA-10 hot shoe ($ 29.99)

Pictures are made in TOTAL DARKNESS - only candle, they are out of camera, no postprocessing, only resized.

Modes are M,S,A,P - autofocus and manual focus

hot

Some test shots - total darkness - with Yongnuo wireless trigger on NEX5 (Tamron 18-200) + MSA-10 hot shoe

Tripod: Yongnuo wireless receiver + Yongnuo YN 460-II

Last edited:

monza

Got the MSA-10 today, unfortunately it is useless on the 5 for this reason.

Anyone with a 5n who wants to buy one?

S

seaphoto

I have a 5n, and I had no idea I had this option until I read your post :) Thanks for the tip!

F

furqanrauf

I am buying the MSA 10 myself, please suggest me a good inexpensive flash to go with it. I am a beginner in photography and I want to learn some of flash photography, also I cant find yongnuo RF 602 TX, where should I look? Thanks :)