The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - Your thoughts?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just curious,

the Sony RX100 seems to be a great new compact - large sensor, 20MP, great high ISO performance, well thought out handling, really compact and the best a very fast Carl Zeiss zoom.

Nobody interested? I am and would like your feedback why it is so quiet around this camera .....

Thanks

Peter

V

Vivek

Nokia 808 also has a Carl Zeiss lens. It can also work as a phone and many other things.

The NEX-5N, at the moment is much cheaper than either.

650 Euros for a P&S cam? I would rather expand and wear a large shirt with huge pockets. :ROTFL:

Paratom

Peter,
there is a thread in the small sensor forum.
I think to replace my xz1 with the rx100 eventually.
There is ask also a review at imaging-resource.com
Cheers, Tom

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter,
there is a thread in the small sensor forum.
I think to replace my xz1 with the rx100 eventually.
There is ask also a review at imaging-resource.com
Cheers, Tom
Tom,

kind of thinking similar way replacing my XZ1 with it.

I handled it shortly today in my photo store and really liked it from what I could say after 15 minutes or so. Very intuitive, as small as the XZ1 and there is NO lens cap - hurray :clap:

Will read some reviews. I am intrigued by the CZ lens .....

Peter

douglasf13

I've actually never owned a point and shoot digital, outside of my cell phone, and the RX100 is the first that has peaked my interest. I may get one for my wife's purse.

C

curious80

I am interested in it as a replacement for our s95. I have handled it in store briefly and it seemed nice. Price is what is keeping me from buying it right now. I wouldn't say that the price is unexpected or even unreasonable considering the launch prices of cameras like s100, xz-1, Fuji x10 and Canon G1X. Or comparing to what Nikon 1 system was launched at. But it still is a steep price to pay for your "point and shoot". So I will probably wait for it to go down in price a bit.

Quentin_Bargate

I have one. Early days but the results are very promising. No Raw support yet in ACR / Lightroom but I assume that is coming. Capable of results good enough for publication. Imagine - 20mp in a small point and shoot with raw capability. Pretty amazing, and another example of Sony's ability to fill a gap in the market. Of course you should buy one.

Mark K

I had one and yet took one photo or two...because of its slippery body. I like XZ-1, partly because of smaller size. It looks I will shoot more using Nex 7 than RX100

Millsart

I had one and yet took one photo or two...because of its slippery body. I like XZ-1, partly because of smaller size. It looks I will shoot more using Nex 7 than RX100

Hmmmm okay, well first off, the body actually isn't slippery and I've yet to find anyone who actually owns the camera saying that it is.

Second, the XZ1 is in fact a larger camera overall than the RX100

Third, no clue why you would compare a point and shoot with a NEX7, which in itself is an odd comment because you speak of how you value small size, and yet in the same breath want to shoot more with a camera that is far from pocketable ?

Perhaps you should spend take more than 1 or 2 photos with the camera assuming you actually do own one

limbonaut

I've actually never owned a point and shoot digital, outside of my cell phone, and the RX100 is the first that has peaked my interest. I may get one for my wife's purse.

Douglas,

The below shot is at ISO 6400. This is a different animal altogether and I imagine it will never see the inside of your wife's purse. ;)

C

curious80

I have a question for RX100 owners about its automated modes (Program or Av). Do you know what is typically the lowest shutter speed that it chooses in those modes? My s95 has this tendency to often choose 1/20s as a shutter speed in low light levels to avoid bumping the ISO too much. That works well for static scenes as the image stabilization is very effective on it. And frankly it is rather poor at anything above ISO 400 so its good that it tries to keep the ISO down. However as a result indoor people shots have a high probability of being blurred, as 1/20s is not really a fast enough shutter speed for people shots. And of course with my 4 year daughter the chances of getting a blur-free shot are even less. So wondering how does RX100 behave in such situations? If I get the RX100 it will more often than not be used in program or Av modes so this is an important consideration for me.

Paratom

I have a question for RX100 owners about its automated modes (Program or Av). Do you know what is typically the lowest shutter speed that it chooses in those modes? My s95 has this tendency to often choose 1/20s as a shutter speed in low light levels to avoid bumping the ISO too much. That works well for static scenes as the image stabilization is very effective on it. And frankly it is rather poor at anything above ISO 400 so its good that it tries to keep the ISO down. However as a result indoor people shots have a high probability of being blurred, as 1/20s is not really a fast enough shutter speed for people shots. And of course with my 4 year daughter the chances of getting a blur-free shot are even less. So wondering how does RX100 behave in such situations? If I get the RX100 it will more often than not be used in program or Av modes so this is an important consideration for me.
I am interested as well.
The K5 has a mode where you would choose aparture and exp-time and max ISO. The camera would then use the choosen aparture and exp and choose the necessary ISO automatically. Only if the max selected ISO is reached it would increase the exp time.
IMO such a mode should be integrated in each camera. At least each camera with autoiso should allow us to set the exp time limit. I just cant understand why so many cameras (including the Leica x1 and the Fuji x-pro 1) do not offer such a setting. Makes autop iso near to useless IMO.
Does the rx100 allow it?

B

baskilon

Great camera in my opinion. I think Nikon alienated themselves from the pro-sumer or the enthusiast market with their overly dumbed-down 1 cameras, that will buy the camera b/c the camera looks cute and b/c Ashton Kucher said so. saw some great samples at Sony RX100 Review with Sample Images and Video

Quentin_Bargate

1/30 sec

P

pook

I bought one and are currently using it in Europe on holiday. Awesome is the best word to describe it. I also have a 5d2 but my son is a video whizz so I don't get to use it often. I love the 5d2 but I could travel with just the rx100 no problems at all.