The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX100

limbonaut

There is longer RX100 thread in the Small Sensor Forum
I know, but since this camera isn't really a "small sensor" camera doesn't it belong here?

More importantly I've been dying to start a "fun with" thread but someone always beats me to it!!:D

ustein

Contributing Editor
I did not say this maybe a wrong place. The sensor is neither tiny nor at least m43 :). Also it is a P&S camera.

limbonaut

I did not say this maybe a wrong place. The sensor is neither tiny nor at least m43 :). Also it is a P&S camera.
True. But the line between p&s and dslr and mirrorless is getting increasingly blurred. The fact that we can have a debate about where this camera belongs is a good illustration of that shift. Exciting times.

mazor

maybe we can call it a medium sensor, so maybe we need a medium sensor forum for the likes of nikon v1 and rx100 ;)

The 808 pureview is getting close to medium sensor status too hehe

Quentin_Bargate

I'm wondering how the RX100 will fare up against the Sigma DP2 Merrill when it is available.

In the meantime, I find my RX100 fun and useful. In fact I'd argue it is more useful day to day than the Nex-7, simply because of its size and near Nex-7 image quality:

Two recent ones

These were both RAW shots, decoded using the kludgy Sony decoder - look forward to ACR support :confused::D

Pingang

This is a RX100 shot of SONY NEX-7 with Metabones Smart Adapter II mounted with a Canon EF 50/1.2L, it was set to ISO 200, manual exposure, f/10, 0.4s and flash set to slow sync automatic, focal length at 36mm.
By the way, the Smart Adapter is working with all the EF lenses I tried so far, except making a little noise each time pressing ths shutter for composition and focusing (using focus peaking) - the AF does not function yet - which might possible thru a firmware upgrade later, per Metabones.
The RX100 is fun to do many things.

Pingang

FlypenFly

Ran around some bridges today.

Took it for a jog in a padded Sony case and just held it in my fist. Worked very well.

I may pick up a TG-1 or something just because I'm not sure if constant jogging is great for the camera. A rugged camera might fare better.