Site Sponsors

Thread: 24MP sensor and 24mm Zeiss lens combo question

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

24MP sensor and 24mm Zeiss lens combo question

Just curious as to which combination produces images?

The a65 (or a77) with the 24mm f2 Zeiss or the NEX 7 with its 24mm f1.8 Zeiss.

Would love to hear the observations and impressions from anyone fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to compare the output resulting from these identical focal lengths (but differently designed lenses) with their respective 24 MP APS-C bodied cameras.

Thanks!
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 24MP sensor and 24mm Zeiss lens combo question

I think the difference between the lenses is the largest factor. The 1.8 is a Sonnar, not designed for corner-to-corner sharpness. The Distagon is. Also, you can use the Distagon on the Nex, I do

I can chime in and say that the 24/2 on the Nex-7 (not exactly what you've asked about, but the only combo that I've used) is a very good combination. Technically excellent, I've used it for landscapes and street/people photography.

I've seen shots from the 1.8 that have a very different quality to the OOF areas, I'm not sure if the 24/2 will do that if I just do the right thing. But I think optically they are probably quite different, so the answer is no.

The other thing about the Distagon. . .it retains its sharpness even on full-frame (field curvature / sample variation issues aside). I'm going to be tempted to get an A99 just to use it with.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter, adding to the excellent comments that Taylor made, the 24mm f:1.8 Sonnar is clearly optimized for short to medium range, where it shines, not for infinity, where it does not. The Distagon, which, unlike the Sonnar, I have not tried, should be able to handle both equally well.

Post Thanks / Like

The Sonnar may be better at near distances than infinity but it is no slouch at infinity either.

Post Thanks / Like

The 24mm shows both some field curvature and some focus shift. For landscape use this means that the outer edges and corners tend to be out of focus, for example when stopping down to f5.6. One solution, with AF, is focusing at the extreme right or left edge. Doing this makes it a great landscape lens (at least my copy).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taylor,
    Anyway you capost a picture of your NEX7 with the 24/2 mounted on it. I'm curios to see the size of the lens on the NEX 7

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Sherman View Post
    I think the difference between the lenses is the largest factor. The 1.8 is a Sonnar, not designed for corner-to-corner sharpness. The Distagon is. Also, you can use the Distagon on the Nex, I do

I can chime in and say that the 24/2 on the Nex-7 (not exactly what you've asked about, but the only combo that I've used) is a very good combination. Technically excellent, I've used it for landscapes and street/people photography.

I've seen shots from the 1.8 that have a very different quality to the OOF areas, I'm not sure if the 24/2 will do that if I just do the right thing. But I think optically they are probably quite different, so the answer is no.

The other thing about the Distagon. . .it retains its sharpness even on full-frame (field curvature / sample variation issues aside). I'm going to be tempted to get an A99 just to use it with.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, kuau - yes it's kind of large, relatively. I do like the lens but still of course wish it were smaller. And it's not light - I think the lens/adapter combo is around 500 or 600 grams.

DSC03990.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC03992.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC03993.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Here are a couple of pictures I took with it last weekend:

DSC01550.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC01477.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

numero

The E-mount 24mm f1.8 has the characteristics of a portrait lens I guess. The center is plenty sharp but roll off gradually toward the edges - which is why I sold it off two months back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taylor,
    Thanks for posting those images.
    Yeah it looks like a pretty big lens on the NEX7.
    Oh well I think I am going to wait for the A99..

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com