Site Sponsors

Thread: NEX 6 specs

Post Thanks / Like

NEX 6 specs

According to the all knowing folks at SAR, the upcoming NEX 6 will be a new 16mp sensor in a NEX-7-like body. Of course we know nothing of the High ISO capability, noise characteristics or abilities of its slightly lower level EVF but I think this camera sounds like an upgrade for my NEX-5N. Anybody else interested in this one?

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEX 6 specs

No. Why I should "downgrade" my NEX7

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    No. Why I should "downgrade" my NEX7
    I agree. The changes in this camera will not appeal to you. I'm guessing the upgrades will be to the auto-focus and high-ISO/low noise capability. That would account for the combination of 16mm and built in EVF. Hopefully more of a low-light hand-held event camera. Something to use indoors.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting and a good upgrade to my NEX-5 if it does well with wide primes. Never needed the 24MP of the NEX-7 but I would like the built in EVF and pop-up flash.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    I agree. The changes in this camera will not appeal to you. I'm guessing the upgrades will be to the auto-focus and high-ISO/low noise capability. That would account for the combination of 16mm and built in EVF. Hopefully more of a low-light hand-held event camera. Something to use indoors.
    I've a NEX5 too. If I had no NEX7, "perhaps" I would upgrade - but not with "rumors".

Main argument: EVF - a camera without EVF = TOY.

Post Thanks / Like

Could make a nice second body alongside the 7 for wide-angle use if it retains the 5N's performance with wide angle M mount lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds fab to me - it'll be just like the OMD then
    More seriously, I know one person who'll be very excited by the combination.

all the best

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If the EVF is not as good as the one on the 7 as rumoured then I wouldn't be interested I'm afraid.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

An EVF always is better than NO EVF !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    If the EVF is not as good as the one on the 7 as rumoured then I wouldn't be interested I'm afraid.
    If it's as good as the A57's I can live with it. That's acceptable if not ideal.

Kirby Krieger

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    Anybody else interested in this one [Nex-6]?

John
    Returned the Nex-7 and purchased an a77. Will not buy a Nex without:
    - fully articulating LCD
    - IBIS (some version of SSS)

Other than that (and the slow AF), I very much liked the Nex-7.

Added:
    I will likely purchase the day it comes out, a camera with:
    - small body
    - fully articulating LCD
    - EVF (or good range-finder type VF)
    - large sensor (min 1") with better-than-Micro-Four-Thirds dynamic range
    - 24-100 mm EFV lens (or change-able lenses)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

lenses lenses lenses lenses lenses lenses lenses lenses

More E mount lenses needed. Not more bodies.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    My 30 lenses for NEX5/NEX7 (8mm-500mm) are enough

curious80

Main argument: EVF - a camera without EVF = TOY.

Funny, there was a time when people thought that cameras with EVFs are toys

Personally even though I used and liked the EVF for a year on my Panasonic G1, I have since then become less and less desirous of an EVF. I now prefer to compose with the LCD most of the time. Though I miss the extra stability that comes with shooting through the EVF.

Plus for some reason I haven't liked the NEX-7 EVF much on a few occasions when I tried it in my local sonystyle store. The G1 EVF seemed really seamless to me in most conditions and I didn't even think that it is an EVF and not OVF - other than in high contrast situations. With NEX-7 EVF on the other hand I immediately feel that it is an EVF. Admittedly that might be just due to the specific lighting conditions in the store. Plus the fact that the EVF for my 5N costs almost twice the total cost of G1 including its EVF always gives me pause. One of the reasons I had not been able to part with my G1 until recently was exactly because its an excellent $150 EVF with a body thrown in for free . But then I wasn't really using it so I eventually got rid of it.

curious80

My 30 lenses for NEX5/NEX7 (8mm-500mm) are enough
    Good for you!! For some of us the 6 existing NEX bodies are enough, we need more e-mount lenses! If Sony follows the current trend you will soon have 30 NEX bodies to go with your 30 lenses. I suppose that will be nice - one body for each of your lenses

Post Thanks / Like

So it'll be awhile before a mirrorless completely overcomes all the advantages associated with the SLR sytem. But what I'm hoping for short-term is a NEX that has better low light noise and auto-focus performance than my A-850. If it could approach the high ISO capability of the D3S then I would be more than satisfied.

curious80

Of course a better body with better sensor is always a good thing to have. Nothing against the NEX-6, I hope it turns out to be an excellent camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post

+1000. With better AF lenses I could like the NEX-7.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Some people make excellent photos with 1/2/3 lenses, others not with 1000 lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by curious80 View Post
    one body for each of your lenses
    Thanx ... I have (I know I am crazy) .. G1, G2, G3, GH1, A55, NEX5, NEX7, NX10, NX100, SD14 ... and some Canons .. 10D..550D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    Could make a nice second body alongside the 7 for wide-angle use if it retains the 5N's performance with wide angle M mount lenses.
    My thoughts exactly. I will probably upgrade my 5N to a 6 as a second body to my 7, if it is superior in IQ and/or features. And, in agreement with Quentin's point, we need more NEX lenses as well, such as (for me) the G zoom, and maybe the mooted 11-18.

Post Thanks / Like

To me the NEX-7 is the camera, or a back-up of a bigger camera, in my case a companion camera along with my EOS system.
    I would tend to think the existing NEX-7 user if wanted a 2nd camera, may go for another NEX-7 because they cost might not vary that much.
    To me the rumored and very possible NEX-6 is for newer buyer or a step up from the NEX-3/5.
    The fact now it can accept apps (if rumors is true) would open up a new breed of camera, hopefully it is not only android.

BR,
    Pingang

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is never too late for Sony to issue a proper mirrorless camera.

Instead of worrying about what Samsung do and follow in their foot steps, they ought to do their own and make versatile/useful cameras.

If the NEX-6 has an integrated EVF and a sensor similar to that of C3/5N, the NEX-7 will see even less action and will be almost forgotten.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard, very hard to beat NEX7 ... perhaps NEX9 or NEX15 ?

numero

The latest rumour seems to imply that the NEX-6 will have phase detectors on the sensor and that the AF will be on par with the OMD. Will prob keep my 7 and 'test-run' the 6 .. if it really exists.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony coming back to a standard hotshoe itself would make the 6 more useful and the color choices as in 7 would be over the top.

Oh, yeah, AF could use some help. The 7 behaved stupidly with AF in 3 weeks of hot sunny conditions, focusing wherever it felt like. The 5N with manual focus lenses saw a whole lot more action, primarily for this reason.

Post Thanks / Like

At present time, much of the images produced every day are from those camera / or phone without EVF - proves EVF is not necessary, it may be useful to some, many dislike them. Camera is not all about this and that award winning images, those were for people care them but the bulk of the world, taking simple strait forward images that relate to something they know is all they care, and camera maker produce what they need.
    All the camera makers that faithfully listen to pros eventually became smaller, fight for their survival, if hey can make it at all.
    Not that I am not shooting serious camera and subjects, of course I do and it is my profession and I do well with it. It is just that we need to know what happened, many user today in their lives have never use camera with VF so they don't care EVF, I don't see why you can't hoot with a camera 1 feet from your eyes, photography is as simple as compose and exposure, everything else is not necessary - although that could be inspiring, passion, fulfillment, exciting, whatever it is.
    I like to see large format maker survive, I like to see 10 medium format maker survived, I like to see Contax back alive, but if maker decide Kodak should go and consumers who could help to buy Kodak products then they won't go. Kodak is gone as a result of reality!
    Sometimes, professional needs to know they are small group of consumer, they don't get to make decision for camera maker!

BR,
    Pingang

Post Thanks / Like

For millions of people it makes no difference if without or with EVF - 10 millions of them make photos even with smartphones. Wrong, unclear, incorrect exposure ... if you are one of them, then it is okay.

But NOT ALL are so undemanding ....

Post Thanks / Like

I have shots thousands of pics with a NEX 5N, and lamented the lack of a VF. Optical or electronic was not the issue, I wanted a VF for when the LCD was not "good enough, such as in intense sunlight.
    Now I have a NEX 7, with a choice of VF or LCD, and I use the LCD probably 85% of the time. So, yes, the VF is a nice thing to have. But it doesn't make a bad camera or bad photographer into good ones, and the lack of it doesn't mean one can't take even what Hot calls "demanding pictures".
    Last edited by philber; 17th August 2012 at 03:52.

nex100

i wonder if the Nex 6 will have micro lenses like the 5N. If it works with wide angle rf lenses then perhaps I will downgrade my Nex 7 to it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure about microlenses, however, if the F3 is an indication, the NEX-6 also can be expected to behave like the C3 and 5N.

With a hotshoe (hopefully a standard one) and an EVF, it would be an "upgrade" for me from the 7.

Post Thanks / Like

From sonyalpharumors:

Last edited by hot; 20th August 2012 at 18:01.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad to see it has no iISO hot shoe...
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope they fire the person who took the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, c'mon, perhaps it's just a kid trying to claim his/her 2 seconds of fame. Or a hard working employe in some Chinese or third world factory trying to make some extra money for his family.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I have never heard of a hard working employee that distributes company secrets. Sounds like the opposite for hard working to me, although I doubt he got paid. He certainly betrayed his coworkers. Yup, they should fire him. And I hope they do.

Post Thanks / Like

Look, it's a MOUNTAIN!!!!

SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lonnie, I assume that is for me. It is nice to know that you are the kind of person that thinks better of himself than the people he works with. But playing the big shot on the internet with the all the ego gratification that that brings is much better than being loyal to those in your team, let alone the possible damage to the company. Loyalty, trust, and respect are overrated.

Still, I do hope they fire him. Then he can go on Oprah and tell his sad little tale.
    Last edited by Shashin; 21st August 2012 at 10:39.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Still, I do hope they fire him. Then he can go on Oprah and tell his sad little tale.
    HE is a SHE ... this pretty, black haired girl from WiFi Control Organisation!

Yeah ... you told THREE TIMES "his" firing ... perhaps someone should fire YOU ...

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HE is a SHE ... this pretty, black haired girl from WiFi Control Organisation!

Yeah ... you told THREE TIMES "his" firing ... perhaps someone should fire YOU ...
    For what? Gender discrimination? Not really, as I think they should fire her too. Whether a man or a woman, they should lose their job.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geez! You already declared that you have cameras that works right for you and you have no interset in any Sony stuff. Why bother about the NEX-6? Fire yourself from this thread.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Geez! You already declared that you have cameras that works right for you and you have no interset in any Sony stuff. Why bother about the NEX-6? Fire yourself from this thread.

It is called a conversation. There are no prerequisites to joining a thread and anyone can join and discuss what interests them. I am interested in people that think posting what they have no right to post that can impact others. I find the topic fascinating.

More specifically, I most likely know the people woking on these product and am disgusted that someone would post images of products on rumor site for a bit of fame without understanding the ramification if might have for the individuals, like my friends, that work on these projects.

However, you are free not to look at this thread if you care not to read my posts.

Post Thanks / Like

4x fire = SPAM ... yawning ...

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All one has to do is ask!

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/sony/3...pe-camera.html

Not bad at all!

Post Thanks / Like

The design hardly looks elegant. That may not be a deal-killer, but NEX up to now have been sleek and smart.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks like it will be smarter than the NEX-7 with a better EVF to boot.