Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Full frame NEX?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Full frame NEX?

To me the name "Leica Killer" isn't so much about hate, as so much there isn't a Full frame alternate to it in the world in existence! As much as I "hate" the name whenever someone posts something with a title thread as such... really points to this fact, and while less about absoluteness of the name, it's used to effectively stress a headline! I think "stirring the pot" would be the exact phrase!

Leica should be proud every time an assassin fails

Post Thanks / Like

>They use Sony sensors, so why not the rx1 sensor in a FF GXR-M?

Which mount? M-Mount may require using different sensors.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I really don't see why every new camera that even barely looks like Leica M has to be nominated as a "Leica M Killer". There's an awful lot of hype, hubris, and hysteria in that kind of stuff. Does everyone hate Leica so much that they're always eager to talk about the next "M killer" candidate? Is everyone so envious of Leica Ms? What the heck is going on with that?

To me, it is great to see more choices appearing in the Leica M form factor ... I like the form factor. Why one has to "win" and the other "lose" is beyond my understanding ... camera companies are not football teams.

The Leica M is a fine camera. There are many fine cameras. Bravo for the choice!

G
    I think it comes down to imitation is the best form of flattery - although they aren't truly imitating the product so much as the idea of a small full featured camera. Lots of people want what the Leica represents as a photographic tool. Fewer can easily afford it. So people label everything they deem similar as a "Leica killer." The closest thing yet is the Fuji X-Pro 1 so far. This isn't actually competition given the lack of interchangeable lenses. This is an expensive fixed lens FF P&S anyway you cut it... Like the X100, the Sigma DP cameras, and the Leica X cameras.

The "kryptonite" if you will of Sony is their long track record of not giving support to their products much after the sale. They make good stuff but once it's yours it's yours in many ways.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post

The "kryptonite" if you will of Sony is their long track record of not giving support to their products much after the sale. They make good stuff but once it's yours it's yours in many ways.

This is certainly true as many of us wait for the much needed improvement to the firmware of the NEX7. They seem to have no contact with photographers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The A700, A900, and early NEX cameras got all sorts of great firmware updates. Maybe a NEX-7 update is on the horizon?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a complete lineup of native lenses should take precedence over the 4 or 5 versions of the NEX-3, The 3 or 4 versions of the NEX-5, and NEX-6 (although it looks like the best one yet,) or the NEX-7. That's not even getting into the various version of dSLR's and SLT's that have come out. Don't get me wrong - I love the technology they're putting out but there are some gaps to fill in both A and E mounts.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Killer" has always been a label used by reviews to illustrate a lower priced good competing in many ways to a higher priced good, similar to how auto magazines label Corvettes as Porsche 911 "killers," etc. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I think a complete lineup of native lenses should take precedence over the 4 or 5 versions of the NEX-3, The 3 or 4 versions of the NEX-5, and NEX-6 (although it looks like the best one yet,) or the NEX-7. That's not even getting into the various version of dSLR's and SLT's that have come out. Don't get me wrong - I love the technology they're putting out but there are some gaps to fill in both A and E mounts.
    Several e-mount lenses are supposed to be announced very soon. Maybe even tonight. There are pretty clear Sony lens roadmaps for NEX that Sony has been following well, so far.

Post Thanks / Like

RX1 Hands On Video and Specs
    Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: Sony RX1 Hands On Video and Specs

All the rumors were correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I believe it uses the same battery as the Sony RX100, so does that mean you can only charge the battery through the camera or are they bringing out the charger? (AC Adaptor AC-UD11 supplied, also same as RX100)

Also do I remember owners (RX100) saying the battery has a short life, it's relative I'm sure, but compared to DSLR standards?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the NEX 6 (APS-C) is the underrated camera at today's launch, good value and features!

Post Thanks / Like

Now first NEX fullframe comes

With 24 Mpixel, I hope there soon is an update for 4K or 8K extension.
    FullHD (2 Mpixel) is an under challenge for 24 Mpixel camcorder.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right, it's true, LOL!
    (Looks like the E-mount was designed for larger things)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    I think the NEX 6 (APS-C) is the underrated camera at today's launch, good value and features!
    it's $300 less than the NEX-7 - really a tough call between the 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Europe € 799 ... hmm, I bought my NEX7 in January for € 1009 (with 3 years warranty).
    NEX6 sure is a fascinnating camera too. The missing link NEX5 - NEX7 :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The tough thing about the FF Nex video camera and any potential FF nex still camera is that they'll have to use either DSLR lenses or very large e-mount lenses, because the sensor is so relatively large compared to the mount and also very close to it, which causes clearance issues. There's a reason why the mounts of m4/3, eos M, Nex, etc. are oversized.

See here: Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) - FM Forums

And here: Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) - FM Forums

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't mind a little bigger NEX shaped camera with an A mount, although some zoom lenses will be oversized. But a few good primes will do for me.
    I find some of these cameras a little to small anyway. Still you can't put them in your pocket, so why not half way in between the A99 and NEX-7 sizewise.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Each one has other ideas and visions. For ME NEX7 is perfect camera .. I waited 5 years for such a camera. Same for NEX6. NEX5 & Co. are not perfect - noooo viewer!

I am glad, SONY doesn't hear all these "wishes" - they never would come to completion of a camera

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    Now first NEX fullframe comes...
    An interesting release. A FF (video)camera with the NEX mount - considering that there are to my knowledge no native FF NEX mount lenses so far! But of course this is just the beginning and IMO shows that Sony has solid plans to release FF NEX lenses and still cameras in the future. Perhaps in not so far future.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony unveils NEX-VG900 full-frame camcorder, VG30 APS-C model and 18-200 lens: Digital Photography Review

VG900 is delivered with adapter for ff lenses.

As an extra refinement, the NEX-VG900 camcorder switches automatically from full-frame operation to APS-C mode when an E-mount or A-mount DT lens is attached. This allows users to get the most out of their collection of lenses that are optimized for cameras with a smaller APS-C image sensor. The camcorder also comes supplied with the LA-EA3 adaptor that lets photographers use full-frame A-mount lenses at their designated focal length.