The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Full frame NEX?

peterb

If it had the 24MP sensor it would be more realistic for the price to come in around $1800-$2100 (US)*. With such a superb optic as the Zeiss 35mm f2 biogon (from what I've read), I would venture a guess that at $2799 the sensor is the same one that Sony agreed to give Nikon 6 months ago for a typical 6 month lead before Sony came out with anything using it: the 36 MP Xmor. If you're going to go to all that trouble to build a FF digital fixed lens camera with the best 35mm lens in Zeiss' arsenal, why not have the best sensor at your disposal to go with it?

*With the recent drop in price for the NEX 7 I wouldn't be surprised if the opening price came even closer to the estimated opening volley for Nikon's rumored D600 24mp FF camera. Around $1500-1700.

douglasf13

Kinda funny to hear that of the Sony R1, which was one of the bulkiest sub-FourThirds sensor cameras around. That big Zeiss zoom was marvelous, but the camera overall came out to be about the size of a Hasselblad 500 with Sonnar 150mm lens on it.
The Sony R1 has an aps-c sensor. It is also only 6.5" from the back of the camera to the tip of the lens, which is about an inch or so shorter than my Hasseblad 500 with an 80mm lens.

pophoto

With Sony having Zeiss behind their lenses, especially with AF capabilities, I am more interested in seeing their lens roadmap, if this comes about, I am sure the name game changer will in fact be very fitting!

peterb

Looks like Canada may have the inside scoop: 24MP and a ridiculously high price tag for it: $2799 (the same as the a99? What's with that???) Of course, if it's $2799 cdn then it's worse for US--$2859.91! <sigh>

Camera and Lens Leaks

pophoto

I wonder why they even had to do this (fixed lens) and not just head straight to the changeable lens! Especially when they do release one... that hole in my wallet will way too large!

MikalWGrass

A FF Nex without an AA filter, and the current ability to use almost any lens ever created will wound Leica, in my opinion. I think Sony is just testing the waters with this camera, both operationally and cost wise. If people flock to this camera the may think that even more will flock to a full frame Nex. I also think that Sony didn't move directly to a FF because the line up of lenses isn't that great.

RX1 looks great but not something I could justify. They should go all in and also make one with the 50mm planar.

I'd like an RX100 with a fixed lens for $500 instead.

pophoto

A FF Nex without an AA filter, and the current ability to use almost any lens ever created will wound Leica, in my opinion. I think Sony is just testing the waters with this camera, both operationally and cost wise. If people flock to this camera the may think that even more will flock to a full frame Nex. I also think that Sony didn't move directly to a FF because the line up of lenses isn't that great.
I think there will be many like me who cannot just flock to this RX1, and then flock to the FF NEX, simply because of financial sense! I will wait for the FF NEX in my case.

V

Vivek

In the leaked images, both the RX1 and the A99 sport a "full frame 35mm CMOS sensor" on the orange ring at the mount (or the base of the lens). I also do not understand the marking for the digital sensor plane (RX1).

Both these lead to the speculation a FF IL mirrorless is on the way and there is no need to spend any money on this P&S cam.

Zeiss optics- I would rather see them in A and E mounts than in Nokias or RXs.

mazor

I absolutely support innovation. I strongly feel that the EVF attachment is a ripoff (btw, Mazor, i dislike reading your posts with selective caps off/on). NEX-6 is the way to go. Has an EVF and allows the use of flashes.
sorry Vivek, did not mean to offend. I think the selective caps is due to the fact I am typing on a thumbboard instead of a full sized keyboard.

douglasf13

I would contend that the RX1 signals that it is going to be a while before we see a FF NEX still camera. Imagine the size of the native lenses for such a thing, judging by the size of the current aps-c NEX lenses.

mazor

I would contend that the RX1 signals that it is going to be a while before we see a FF NEX still camera. Imagine the size of the native lenses for such a thing, judging by the size of the current aps-c NEX lenses.

agree for NEX it is all about size. Some complain the NEX APS-C lens is way too big compared to the likes of MFT.

RX-1 looks like a very nice camera, it should fare well against the likes of Sigmas Merrill and Fuji's X10.

V

Vivek

The leaks comparing the sizes of the RX1 and various cameras clearly indicate that it is about the size of a NEX-7 (width). I would think a FF NEX is coming.

A FF VG900 is rumored to be announced (with a NEX E-mount) tomorrow. So, it is just a matter of time.

About the lenses: Since when Sony worried about lenses? :rolleyes:

bcm

I agree Vivek. It's only a matter of time. I'll wait for the FF NEX with improved EVF and PD/Contrast AF. Who knows the Zeiss mirrorless range might even give me AF with the same sort of quality the Zeiss M lenses do + a bit of an increase in size. I'd be happy with that. I've never been after a "pocketable" camera. I've just been after quality in a lighter smaller package than a DSLR.

pophoto

If I were Sony, it would make sense to release a fixed FF mirror-less camera first and then IL camera. So while it is predictable, I am now more interested to see what the RX1 offers in terms of interface menus, and other tech such as continuous tracking, exposure bracketing, low light assisted focusing and so on. Remember this is what Sony is calling their professional camera, and many signs do in fact point to an IL system that is full-frame.

The great thing that I can see already, is that on the top dial, I see three custom modes that you are likely able to program, just like the Canon FF DLRs that I have, excellent! Another note, do you see the aperture ring on the lens, how old-school is that :p

I am very interested, because from judging RX1, it is a beautiful camera and it's tiny despite being full frame. There is no other Full frame mirror-less on the market. They are bringing it with their latest 24MP FF sensor. Despite me being financially restrained and perhaps others too, there will be those who can and who will buy this, and yes I will be jealous! Sure it isn't a 58mm Zeiss lens on the front, but hey, I am sure this thing is a beauty. I'm not gonna rain on their parade, just simply because we know this is the advent to another system that is FF IL system!

Last edited: