Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Full frame NEX?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Full frame NEX?

Rumors are flying about a 'pro NEX' and I suppose that would mean a full-frame model...thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Full frame NEX?

NEX-9 full frame same cmos as A99?

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Rumors are flying about a 'pro NEX' and I suppose that would mean a full-frame model...thoughts?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure it's even a nex....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

I am using a leica 35mm 3.5 Summaron on my 5n with EVF. Brilliant combo. Sony NEX fits that bill. It already is a Leica M killer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    I am using a leica 35mm 3.5 Summaron on my 5n with EVF. Brilliant combo. Sony NEX fits that bill. It already is a Leica M killer
    No evf here but: NEX with (LTM) 12/5.6, 15/4.5, 2.5cm f/4, 3.5cm f/3.5 for waist level shooting (AKA "hipshooting" with some blind cameras). The 6 with an EVF will allow for portrait and the use of fast lenses. A FF NEX would be even better.

If a "FF" NEX happens to have a square sensor, the tilt only LCD is enough and there is no need for the swivel kind.

Post Thanks / Like

if a FF nex does come out, the e-mount will need to be revised, not only will the mount have to be larger to take into account the larger sensor, also all the current E-mount lens will not work with this sensor without cropping.

The current e-mount is still in infancy stage, ie still more lens on the roadmap to come. It would be interesting if sony wants to upset the progress timeline for e-mount.

vivek, the evf is a real jot to use, and will change the way you capture images. An articulating EVF, really works to getting that shot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I absolutely support innovation. I strongly feel that the EVF attachment is a ripoff (btw, Mazor, i dislike reading your posts with selective caps off/on). NEX-6 is the way to go. Has an EVF and allows the use of flashes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    if a FF nex does come out, the e-mount will need to be revised, not only will the mount have to be larger to take into account the larger sensor, also all the current E-mount lens will not work with this sensor without cropping.
    I think you're right on the lenses, but the E-mount just seems big enough to cover FF (See here on PhotoClubAlpha)

Time will tell which of the rumours are true and which are fake.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Not sure it's even a nex....
    This may be 'the' comment so far. A full frame mirrorless doesn't have to be a NEX and doesn't have to use E mount.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This may be 'the' comment so far. A full frame mirrorless doesn't have to be a NEX and doesn't have to use E mount.
    If it is the rumored P&S cam, RX1, I will not be buying the NEX-6 either.

RX1 (if true) would mean a FF NEX is just a matter of time. I will wait (and not spend any money in the meantime).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well we know what it is now. The RX1 full frame with a fixed 35/2 Zeiss lens.
    I wait as well for a interchangable lens mount version from any manufacturer.
    Somehow with all the new developments and new cameras coming up, a mirrorless full frame camera takes a lot of time. At least if you are waiting for it.

The only APC variant I like to try is the Sigma foveon.

I hope for a surprise from Hasselblad soon, although the pricing can cause a problem.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    I hope for a surprise from Hasselblad soon, although the pricing can cause a problem.
    Same here ...

As for the RX1, sounds like a really nice camera but not versatile enough for me with the fixed 35 mm. Would have preferred a FF NEX.
    We'll see what happens next, it won't be the first SAR 'SR5' that turns out to be false, though in this case I have feeling this camera will indeed see the light of day very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

If this came with an IL, it would be a big hit. But, at the reported 3k for a full frame P&S, not so much.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

$3K can't be right. $3k for the A99, if I venture to guess...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica X2 killer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks a bit like a design exercise by a company determined to win market share in every camera market segment. Problem is it is three times the price of the exceptional Sigma DP2M, which will likely outperform it at low ISO. At high ISO, a different matter. The price is absurd on any view, however.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Probably best to wait til the price is known for sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rumor is it will be $2799, which isn't all that crazy, considering the price of the Nex-7 and Zeiss 24/1.8.

The beauty of a fixed lens camera is that you can reduce lens size considerably by incorporating lens elements into the actual camera body, right up against the sensor, like the X100 and old Sony R1. An interchangeable, fullframe NEX would have much larger native lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Rumor is it will be $2799, which isn't all that crazy, considering the price of the Nex-7 and Zeiss 24/1.8.

The beauty of a fixed lens camera is that you can reduce lens size considerably by incorporating lens elements into the actual camera body, right up against the sensor, like the X100 and old Sony R1. An interchangeable, fullframe NEX would have much larger native lenses.
    Kinda funny to hear that of the Sony R1, which was one of the bulkiest sub-FourThirds sensor cameras around. That big Zeiss zoom was marvelous, but the camera overall came out to be about the size of a Hasselblad 500 with Sonnar 150mm lens on it.

I hope the RX1 is real, and I hope it works as nicely as it looks it ought to, and I hope and pray that I don't succumb to Magpie Syndrome and buy YET ANOTHER FREEKIN' CAMERA when I already have far more excellent equipment than I need. =8^0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If it had the 24MP sensor it would be more realistic for the price to come in around $1800-$2100 (US)*. With such a superb optic as the Zeiss 35mm f2 biogon (from what I've read), I would venture a guess that at $2799 the sensor is the same one that Sony agreed to give Nikon 6 months ago for a typical 6 month lead before Sony came out with anything using it: the 36 MP Xmor. If you're going to go to all that trouble to build a FF digital fixed lens camera with the best 35mm lens in Zeiss' arsenal, why not have the best sensor at your disposal to go with it?

*With the recent drop in price for the NEX 7 I wouldn't be surprised if the opening price came even closer to the estimated opening volley for Nikon's rumored D600 24mp FF camera. Around $1500-1700.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Kinda funny to hear that of the Sony R1, which was one of the bulkiest sub-FourThirds sensor cameras around. That big Zeiss zoom was marvelous, but the camera overall came out to be about the size of a Hasselblad 500 with Sonnar 150mm lens on it.
    The Sony R1 has an aps-c sensor. It is also only 6.5" from the back of the camera to the tip of the lens, which is about an inch or so shorter than my Hasseblad 500 with an 80mm lens.

Post Thanks / Like

With Sony having Zeiss behind their lenses, especially with AF capabilities, I am more interested in seeing their lens roadmap, if this comes about, I am sure the name game changer will in fact be very fitting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like Canada may have the inside scoop: 24MP and a ridiculously high price tag for it: $2799 (the same as the a99? What's with that???) Of course, if it's $2799 cdn then it's worse for US--$2859.91! <sigh>

Camera and Lens Leaks
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the look of it but not the price. I think this is a precursor to a FF Nex. Should be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why they even had to do this (fixed lens) and not just head straight to the changeable lens! Especially when they do release one... that hole in my wallet will way too large!

Post Thanks / Like

A FF Nex without an AA filter, and the current ability to use almost any lens ever created will wound Leica, in my opinion. I think Sony is just testing the waters with this camera, both operationally and cost wise. If people flock to this camera the may think that even more will flock to a full frame Nex. I also think that Sony didn't move directly to a FF because the line up of lenses isn't that great.

Post Thanks / Like

RX1 looks great but not something I could justify. They should go all in and also make one with the 50mm planar.

I'd like an RX100 with a fixed lens for $500 instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    A FF Nex without an AA filter, and the current ability to use almost any lens ever created will wound Leica, in my opinion. I think Sony is just testing the waters with this camera, both operationally and cost wise. If people flock to this camera the may think that even more will flock to a full frame Nex. I also think that Sony didn't move directly to a FF because the line up of lenses isn't that great.
    I think there will be many like me who cannot just flock to this RX1, and then flock to the FF NEX, simply because of financial sense! I will wait for the FF NEX in my case.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the leaked images, both the RX1 and the A99 sport a "full frame 35mm CMOS sensor" on the orange ring at the mount (or the base of the lens). I also do not understand the marking for the digital sensor plane (RX1).

Both these lead to the speculation a FF IL mirrorless is on the way and there is no need to spend any money on this P&S cam.

Zeiss optics- I would rather see them in A and E mounts than in Nokias or RXs.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, you read my mind regarding the lenses. What does IL mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Interchangeable Lens
    www.kennethmorrislee.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I absolutely support innovation. I strongly feel that the EVF attachment is a ripoff (btw, Mazor, i dislike reading your posts with selective caps off/on). NEX-6 is the way to go. Has an EVF and allows the use of flashes.
    sorry Vivek, did not mean to offend. I think the selective caps is due to the fact I am typing on a thumbboard instead of a full sized keyboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would contend that the RX1 signals that it is going to be a while before we see a FF NEX still camera. Imagine the size of the native lenses for such a thing, judging by the size of the current aps-c NEX lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I would contend that the RX1 signals that it is going to be a while before we see a FF NEX still camera. Imagine the size of the native lenses for such a thing, judging by the size of the current aps-c NEX lenses.

agree for NEX it is all about size. Some complain the NEX APS-C lens is way too big compared to the likes of MFT.

RX-1 looks like a very nice camera, it should fare well against the likes of Sigmas Merrill and Fuji's X10.

Post Thanks / Like

Leica X2 killer!
    Nah, the X2 is already comatose.
    (Leicaphiles pls don't flame me, I own plenty of red dot stuff.)
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The leaks comparing the sizes of the RX1 and various cameras clearly indicate that it is about the size of a NEX-7 (width). I would think a FF NEX is coming.

A FF VG900 is rumored to be announced (with a NEX E-mount) tomorrow. So, it is just a matter of time.

About the lenses: Since when Sony worried about lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Vivek. It's only a matter of time. I'll wait for the FF NEX with improved EVF and PD/Contrast AF. Who knows the Zeiss mirrorless range might even give me AF with the same sort of quality the Zeiss M lenses do + a bit of an increase in size. I'd be happy with that. I've never been after a "pocketable" camera. I've just been after quality in a lighter smaller package than a DSLR.
    Ben
    Perth, Australia

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

If I were Sony, it would make sense to release a fixed FF mirror-less camera first and then IL camera. So while it is predictable, I am now more interested to see what the RX1 offers in terms of interface menus, and other tech such as continuous tracking, exposure bracketing, low light assisted focusing and so on. Remember this is what Sony is calling their professional camera, and many signs do in fact point to an IL system that is full-frame.

The great thing that I can see already, is that on the top dial, I see three custom modes that you are likely able to program, just like the Canon FF DLRs that I have, excellent! Another note, do you see the aperture ring on the lens, how old-school is that :P

I am very interested, because from judging RX1, it is a beautiful camera and it's tiny despite being full frame. There is no other Full frame mirror-less on the market. They are bringing it with their latest 24MP FF sensor. Despite me being financially restrained and perhaps others too, there will be those who can and who will buy this, and yes I will be jealous! Sure it isn't a 58mm Zeiss lens on the front, but hey, I am sure this thing is a beauty. I'm not gonna rain on their parade, just simply because we know this is the advent to another system that is FF IL system!
    Last edited by pophoto; 11th September 2012 at 04:55.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I would love to add to this system is an external flash system. Compact being the game, much like the Canon 270II and the Nikon SB 400, these little guys are given less credit than they deserve, and when used correctly and especially certain modifiers they produce great results. I think other systems neglect their accessories, although they provide them, they don't provide them with versatility or the same quality.

I think if they want to complete a Pro system, I would love to see complete systems available, but who I am to talk (NOT a pro)! Just a voice! :P

Post Thanks / Like

With interchangeable lenses, Sony has to make lenses first, then optimize the sensor for the lenses. I don't think Sony is interested in making digital backs for your Leica and other alt lenses. Hence the fixed lens.

My bet is on Ricoh. They have been silent for a while. And they have no lenses to offer for the GXR-M. They use Sony sensors, so why not the rx1 sensor in a FF GXR-M?
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    I don't think Sony is interested in making digital backs for your Leica and other alt lenses. Hence the fixed lens.
    They are very much interested in making NEX' and video cams (several models in a year) without adding any lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Another thing I would love to add to this system is an external flash system. Compact being the game, much like the Canon 270II and the Nikon SB 400, these little guys are given less credit than they deserve, and when used correctly and especially certain modifiers they produce great results. I think other systems neglect their accessories, although they provide them, they don't provide them with versatility or the same quality.

I think if they want to complete a Pro system, I would love to see complete systems available, but who I am to talk (NOT a pro)! Just a voice! :P
    There is going to be a whole new flash system, primarily because of the mount change.

Post Thanks / Like

They are very much interested in making NEX' and video cams (several models in a year) without adding any lenses.
    Lens manufacturing seems to be Sony's Achylle's heel. I don't think they have enough capacity to cover all their needs. One good news is that Sony seems to have liberated Zeiss from its agreement not to make AF lenses independently, but the condition is to make lenses for the E mount as a priority. That's at least how I understand it. Don't bother to ask me about my sources that's only my personal analysis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    With interchangeable lenses, Sony has to make lenses first, then optimize the sensor for the lenses. I don't think Sony is interested in making digital backs for your Leica and other alt lenses. Hence the fixed lens.

My bet is on Ricoh. They have been silent for a while. And they have no lenses to offer for the GXR-M. They use Sony sensors, so why not the rx1 sensor in a FF GXR-M?
    If Sony were to go the way of the GXR and create a FF NEX with a M mount then lenses wouldn't be an issue for Sony at all.

Post Thanks / Like

There is going to be a whole new flash system, primarily because of the mount change.
    Yes, but I hope Sony does a good job about it!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't see why every new camera that even barely looks like Leica M has to be nominated as a "Leica M Killer". There's an awful lot of hype, hubris, and hysteria in that kind of stuff. Does everyone hate Leica so much that they're always eager to talk about the next "M killer" candidate? Is everyone so envious of Leica Ms? What the heck is going on with that?

To me, it is great to see more choices appearing in the Leica M form factor ... I like the form factor. Why one has to "win" and the other "lose" is beyond my understanding ... camera companies are not football teams.

The Leica M is a fine camera. There are many fine cameras. Bravo for the choice!

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't see why every new camera that even barely looks like Leica M has to be nominated as a "Leica M Killer". There's an awful lot of hype, hubris, and hysteria in that kind of stuff. Does everyone hate Leica so much that they're always eager to talk about the next "M killer" candidate? Is everyone so envious of Leica Ms? What the heck is going on with that?

To me, it is great to see more choices appearing in the Leica M form factor ... I like the form factor. Why one has to "win" and the other "lose" is beyond my understanding ... camera companies are not football teams.

The Leica M is a fine camera. There are many fine cameras. Bravo for the choice!

G
    ++1

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

G
    +2

Well said.