The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Full frame NEX?

monza

Rumors are flying about a 'pro NEX' and I suppose that would mean a full-frame model...thoughts?

mazor

I am using a leica 35mm 3.5 Summaron on my 5n with EVF. Brilliant combo. Sony NEX fits that bill. It already is a Leica M killer

V

Vivek

I am using a leica 35mm 3.5 Summaron on my 5n with EVF. Brilliant combo. Sony NEX fits that bill. It already is a Leica M killer
No evf here but: NEX with (LTM) 12/5.6, 15/4.5, 2.5cm f/4, 3.5cm f/3.5 for waist level shooting (AKA "hipshooting" with some blind cameras). The 6 with an EVF will allow for portrait and the use of fast lenses. A FF NEX would be even better.

If a "FF" NEX happens to have a square sensor, the tilt only LCD is enough and there is no need for the swivel kind.

mazor

if a FF nex does come out, the e-mount will need to be revised, not only will the mount have to be larger to take into account the larger sensor, also all the current E-mount lens will not work with this sensor without cropping.

The current e-mount is still in infancy stage, ie still more lens on the roadmap to come. It would be interesting if sony wants to upset the progress timeline for e-mount.

vivek, the evf is a real jot to use, and will change the way you capture images. An articulating EVF, really works to getting that shot.

V

Vivek

I absolutely support innovation. I strongly feel that the EVF attachment is a ripoff (btw, Mazor, i dislike reading your posts with selective caps off/on). NEX-6 is the way to go. Has an EVF and allows the use of flashes.

pegelli

if a FF nex does come out, the e-mount will need to be revised, not only will the mount have to be larger to take into account the larger sensor, also all the current E-mount lens will not work with this sensor without cropping.
I think you're right on the lenses, but the E-mount just seems big enough to cover FF (See here on PhotoClubAlpha)

Time will tell which of the rumours are true and which are fake.

V

Vivek

Rumors are flying about a 'pro NEX' and I suppose that would mean a full-frame model...thoughts?
This may be 'the' comment so far. :) A full frame mirrorless doesn't have to be a NEX and doesn't have to use E mount.
If it is the rumored P&S cam, RX1, I will not be buying the NEX-6 either.

RX1 (if true) would mean a FF NEX is just a matter of time. I will wait (and not spend any money in the meantime).

Michiel Schierbeek

Well we know what it is now. The RX1 full frame with a fixed 35/2 Zeiss lens.
I wait as well for a interchangable lens mount version from any manufacturer.
Somehow with all the new developments and new cameras coming up, a mirrorless full frame camera takes a lot of time. At least if you are waiting for it. :(

The only APC variant I like to try is the Sigma foveon.

I hope for a surprise from Hasselblad soon, although the pricing can cause a problem.

Michiel

peterv

I hope for a surprise from Hasselblad soon, although the pricing can cause a problem.
Same here ...

As for the RX1, sounds like a really nice camera but not versatile enough for me with the fixed 35 mm. Would have preferred a FF NEX.
We'll see what happens next, it won't be the first SAR 'SR5' that turns out to be false, though in this case I have feeling this camera will indeed see the light of day very soon.

ecsh

If this came with an IL, it would be a big hit. But, at the reported 3k for a full frame P&S, not so much.

Quentin_Bargate

Looks a bit like a design exercise by a company determined to win market share in every camera market segment. Problem is it is three times the price of the exceptional Sigma DP2M, which will likely outperform it at low ISO. At high ISO, a different matter. The price is absurd on any view, however.

douglasf13

Rumor is it will be $2799, which isn't all that crazy, considering the price of the Nex-7 and Zeiss 24/1.8.

The beauty of a fixed lens camera is that you can reduce lens size considerably by incorporating lens elements into the actual camera body, right up against the sensor, like the X100 and old Sony R1. An interchangeable, fullframe NEX would have much larger native lenses.

Godfrey

Rumor is it will be $2799, which isn't all that crazy, considering the price of the Nex-7 and Zeiss 24/1.8.

The beauty of a fixed lens camera is that you can reduce lens size considerably by incorporating lens elements into the actual camera body, right up against the sensor, like the X100 and old Sony R1. An interchangeable, fullframe NEX would have much larger native lenses.
Kinda funny to hear that of the Sony R1, which was one of the bulkiest sub-FourThirds sensor cameras around. That big Zeiss zoom was marvelous, but the camera overall came out to be about the size of a Hasselblad 500 with Sonnar 150mm lens on it.

I hope the RX1 is real, and I hope it works as nicely as it looks it ought to, and I hope and pray that I don't succumb to Magpie Syndrome and buy YET ANOTHER FREEKIN' CAMERA when I already have far more excellent equipment than I need. =8^0