The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How many A850/A900 shooters are going to hold on to their cameras?

Coming from 10 years+ of Canon shooting, I'm fairly new to the A900 but I sold all my Canon gear a couple of months ago in advance of the A99 and grabbed an A900 at a great price as a placeholder with the intent of selling it to help fund the A99. Now that the A99 is about to be launched, I'm positive that I'll be holding on to the A900 and using it as a daylight shooter or second body for some assignments. It is just too good to give up.

So I'm curious if other Sony FF shooters are going to abandon their A850/900s or hold onto them for the duration?

Chad

LoSenior

Chad,
I've had my a900 since they came out and will continue to use it.
I'm going to sell my Zeiss zooms to lighten the load, great gear and a pleasure to use.
Jerry

jfirneno

Chad: I have a feeling that even if the A99 gives me an upgrade on my A-850 (meaning clean ISO 6400, better AF, equal IQ) I have a feeling I'll keep my old camera. I was using it this last weekend in NYC and I really enjoyed it. But we'll see.

Regards,
John

fotografz

Yes, I'll keep both of them I think since the A99 electronic viewfinder resolution is the same as the A77, which I hated. Sony put a great OVF in the A900, and that's going to be hard to beat.

The only thing that might change my mind is if the high ISO is a lot better than the A77 ... like 2 or 3 stops better. Then I might get one, but keep an A900

-Marc

Yes, I'll keep both of them I think since the A99 electronic viewfinder resolution is the same as the A77, which I hated. Sony put a great OVF in the A900, and that's going to be hard to beat.

The only thing that might change my mind is if the high ISO is a lot better than the A77 ... like 2 or 3 stops better. Then I might get one, but keep an A900

-Marc
Yes, and the early high ISO samples I've seen look very promising - at D800 levels if not better. Certainly they beat the pants off the A900 and A77.

Lonnie Utah

The ONLY advantage I see the A99 holds over the A900 is high iso. Being mainly a landscape shooter, I could care less about high iso as 99% of the time I'm shooting on a tripod. I could careless about video. If I need video, I have my NEX and it works just fine for that (we basically bought the nex as a de-facto camcorder.) Try as I might, I just can't get excited for this new camera.

So yeah, I'm happily keeping my A900.

David Kilpatrick had a great article on the subject at PCA today....

Future paths for Sony imaging | Photoclubalpha

I will probably be selling mine and changing systems, but that has more to do with broader needs and less to do with specific camera bodies. I will wait to see what the image quality is like from the A99 before I make a final decision. If it is very close to the D800e I may stay, otherwise I will probably go back to Canon. There are lenses in the Canon lineup that I miss having, and the ubiquitousness of the system is a big plus for me.

edwardkaraa

I sold my A900 as soon as I became aware of Sony's plans to scrap the OVF and put a piece of plastic in the optical path. Sony may be an innovative company but I think they went a bit too far on this one.

The ONLY advantage I see the A99 holds over the A900 is high iso.
Maybe for a landscape photographer, not sure, but for me, if the AF is a generation or two better than the A900, then that is a powerful improvement.

Having recently switched from an aging classic 5D to the A900, the only thing I miss is the focusing accuracy.

I'm also looking forward to composing with the A99's tilt-LCD (with level overlays) on interior architecture shoots and having a real-time EVF display of exposure when shooting concert stage scenes that tend to vary quickly and drastically.

I think the A99 and A900 will compliment each other nicely. More so than if I had a 5D or Mark II and added a Mark III.

fotografz

Maybe for a landscape photographer, not sure, but for me, if the AF is a generation or two better than the A900, then that is a powerful improvement.

Having recently switched from an aging classic 5D to the A900, the only thing I miss is the focusing accuracy.

I'm also looking forward to composing with the A99's tilt-LCD (with level overlays) on interior architecture shoots and having a real-time EVF display of exposure when shooting concert stage scenes that tend to vary quickly and drastically.

I think the A99 and A900 will compliment each other nicely. More so than if I had a 5D or Mark II and added a Mark III.
If your A900 AF accuracy is not miles ahead of that aging 5D, then there is something wrong with your A900.

I process literally thousands of images at a crack (weddings) My second shooters use the 5D and 5D-II and have waaaaaay more mis-focused shot than I do. What is really telling is when I have them use my second A900 and their in-focus keeper rate improves dramatically.

BTW, this is in some of the most challenging light you can imagine. Focusing accuracy is the last thing I'm concerned with when using the A900.

-Marc

pegelli

I think the A99 will have a lot of advantages vs the A850/900, but also some disadvantages. No camera is perfect. So I will for sure hold on to my A850 (heck, sometimes I still use my old KM 5D) and won't get an A99 until:
- first: the streetprice comes down
- second: more tests and experiences become available that justify the cash outlay for the advantages and I am sure the disadvantages are not a show stopper.

If your A900 AF accuracy is not miles ahead of that aging 5D, then there is something wrong with your A900.

I process literally thousands of images at a crack (weddings) My second shooters use the 5D and 5D-II and have waaaaaay more mis-focused shot than I do. What is really telling is when I have them use my second A900 and their in-focus keeper rate improves dramatically.

BTW, this is in some of the most challenging light you can imagine. Focusing accuracy is the last thing I'm concerned with when using the A900.

-Marc
Marc,

That may well be the case. Once the A99 gets here I am going to have the A900 serviced to be sure. I can tell you that, for example when dialing in AF adjust on a stationary target, my focus will shift between shots. Usually the first shot is out of focus slightly and then a second or third attempt on the same spot nails it.

Still, my 5D was a critical focus machine. Maybe your second shooters should have theirs looked at ;) And sorry, weddings are a cake walk compared to most low light concert events. I am well versed in both.

Best,
Chad

Lonnie Utah

And you realize that the the "102 on sensor AF points" only work with selected lenses and that all the rest are limited to the other 19 AF points? That kinda defeats the purpose of on sensor AF points if you ask me.

fotografz

Marc,

That may well be the case. Once the A99 gets here I am going to have the A900 serviced to be sure. I can tell you that, for example when dialing in AF adjust on a stationary target, my focus will shift between shots. Usually the first shot is out of focus slightly and then a second or third attempt on the same spot nails it.

Still, my 5D was a critical focus machine. Maybe your second shooters should have theirs looked at ;) And sorry, weddings are a cake walk compared to most low light concert events. I am well versed in both.

Best,
Chad
Your A900 shouldn't be doing that. It would be worth the check-up I think. As for the 5D, it is notorious for flakey focusing issues which are well documented on the web ... and the subject of much discussion on the DWF in context to the 5D-III launch, and scrutiny of how improved the 5d-III AF is. If your's is excellent, it is a prize 5D.

-Marc

fotografz

I think the A99 will have a lot of advantages vs the A850/900, but also some disadvantages. No camera is perfect. So I will for sure hold on to my A850 (heck, sometimes I still use my old KM 5D) and won't get an A99 until:
- first: the streetprice comes down
- second: more tests and experiences become available that justify the cash outlay for the advantages and I am sure the disadvantages are not a show stopper.
Or wait for the A95 clone @ $1,495.

surfotog

I'll hold onto my A900 until it dies. It was a steal @ $2100, and it's very much an "old school" camera, if that's possible in the digital word. But then what do I know, I still prefer to shoot B&W with my pentax 67 II with a chimney finder.
The Sony is great for handheld work and long lens shooting with the 600 APO.
I have a feeling it will be considered a classic in a couple of years.

Hank Graber

The quality of the optical viewfinder on the A900 was the feature that clinched the deal for me. So I'll hold on to it for a while. Despite my attachment to the A900's optical VF I think Sony is going in the right direction with the A99. I expect I will get an integrated modern video/stills capture device at some point. The A99 looks like the perfect candidate.

There still might be enough demand for Sony to add a higher res optical VF studio camera in the future but I'd say the A99 was the right camera for Sony now. They don't have the legacy base of Canikon and should be looking to define the capture device of the future rather then build a me to DSLR.