The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A99 is here!

MikalWGrass

I am not mechanically inclined so I had Dave at Leitax do the conversion and chip for my Leica R 50/1.4. I wanted the chip because I wanted the focus confirmation for my a900. If you don't need the chip because the a99 has focus peaking, don't get it. The Leitax adapters are worth every penny.

kuau

Workshop Member
Michiel,
Keep me in mind if you ever want to sell any of your C/Y lenses, All that is important is that they are the "MM" model and have green lettering on F16/F22

+1 on what Mikal has to say about Leitax.

When I look at the instructions on the Leitax site for conversions of C/Y Zeiss lenses, then I think it does not look all that easy. Besides I don't like to take all the original mounts of my Zeiss lenses, although it is reversable. And Leitax conversion costs € 68 for each lens without focus conformation ( about € 50,- extra) and shipping.

For the rest it is only M42 mounts to use on Sony Alpha with a straight adapter. So the choice is actually very limited. The Canon mount has far more possibilitys to use different mounts with regular adapters.

That is why I wait for FF mirrorless, I think.

Michiel
Michiel,

I will mirror what others have said here about the ease of the Leitax conversions - I have done two of my C/Y lenses. Both chipped.

And, yes Canon may have more straight adapter options available but I am mostly interested in my Contax glass and I have used it in the past on an adapted Canon 5D with dismal results. And that was with AF confirm.

The Leitax conversion is light years better than any adapter in terms of fit and I can routinely focus accurately at f2 with AF confirm on my A900. On the NEX with peaking, 1.4 is great - a near impossibility on Canon.

But I can understand your concerns about wanting to keep the mounts original. given the relative low cost of some of these lenses I was willing to go forward with the conversion without much risk.

Jonas

Thanks Steven, I think about it. But I think I left big dslr bodys, although I really want to go FF now.
I Have about 13 C/Y Zeiss lenses. That will count up :( .

But I think it will be a lovely camera and may be....

Michiel
All that mirrors my feelings exactly.

With Pentax and Olympus one can use the IBIS also with non-chipped lenses as there is a possibility to enter the focal length in the menu system. Is it the same with Sony?

Michiel Schierbeek

All that mirrors my feelings exactly.

With Pentax and Olympus one can use the IBIS also with non-chipped lenses as there is a possibility to enter the focal length in the menu system. Is it the same with Sony?
Yeah, I remember that from my E-3, that was/is a good feature. As I understand it all lenses are stabilised on the Sony A99, but I leave the knowledge about that to the Sony dslr l users.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel,

I will mirror what others have said here about the ease of the Leitax conversions - I have done two of my C/Y lenses. Both chipped.

And, yes Canon may have more straight adapter options available but I am mostly interested in my Contax glass and I have used it in the past on an adapted Canon 5D with dismal results. And that was with AF confirm.

The Leitax conversion is light years better than any adapter in terms of fit and I can routinely focus accurately at f2 with AF confirm on my A900. On the NEX with peaking, 1.4 is great - a near impossibility on Canon.

But I can understand your concerns about wanting to keep the mounts original. given the relative low cost of some of these lenses I was willing to go forward with the conversion without much risk.
I could do some of the less expensive ones. Sadly my two favourite, although green 22 MM, are not on the Leitax list. The 100/2 planar and the Distagon 35/1.4.

Michiel

kuau

Workshop Member
The way I understand using non chipped lenses on the A99 or A77 is that it acts as if a 50mm lens is being used.
Again I think this is all a mute point.
The A99 to date is the first FF DSLR with a built in EVF... way cool, especially for us vision impaired photographers....
Now if there was only an "E" version sans AA filter, now that would be cool.

KenLee

Am I right in thinking that unlike with NEX cameras, the flange distance is too long for Nikon, Canon, Leica M-series, Pentax, etc. ?

If that's the case, I'll wait for a 36MP NEX.

V

Vivek

The price has dropped for this intermediate level camera even before it has hit the vendor shelves!

KenLee

I changed my mind: I'll wait for a 36MP NEX with an APS-C sensor.

That would be the best of both worlds: good image quality, smaller + lighter than an SLR, adaptable to all lenses.

Michiel Schierbeek

I changed my mind: I'll wait for a 36MP NEX with an APS-C sensor.

That would be the best of both worlds: good image quality, smaller + lighter than an SLR, adaptable to all lenses.
I think I agree. I tryed the A99 at the Sony booth at Photokina with the new 50/1.4 Zeiss.
Beautiful but really heavy. Very heavy and big lens. I don't think I want to go back to that size of camera. I came to the conclusion it is too obtrusive for most things I do. The plus is also I don't have to Leitax my C/Y Zeiss lenses.

I rather have the same or a 36mp sensor camera without the translucent mirror.
I am very curious who will be the first manufacturer of a mirrorless FF camera. Sony, Fuji or Pentax/Ricoh?

I wished Ricoh would make a FF Leica mount with the new Sony sensor and give it the same treatment they gave the A12 Leica M mount. Alsofrom Sony but a 12mp sensor. No AA filter.
It draws wonderfull sharp images.

First I am going to be happy with the Sigma DPm2 Merrill. I am going to try some razorsharp stichwork with it.

Michiel

MikalWGrass

How is the high iso and the continual focus tracking on the a99? I just shot a triathlon with my a900 in low light and trying to focus on moving swimmers in very low light was brutal. Way way way too many out of focus images for my tastes.

I was using the ZA 85/1/4 so the glass was plenty fast and plenty good.

The daylight images were much better but trying to capture the elite swimmers coming out of the water at 7:20 am, without using a flash, was way too trying.

Michiel Schierbeek

I did not have the time to try it, really crowded, but I think for this kind of work the A99 will be a whole lot better. They put a lot of afford in the videopart of the camera, must come in handy for your work as well.

See here DxOMark - Measurement
High ISO performance of the same sensored Nikon 600 is even a tad better as the D800E

MikalWGrass

Michiel, the triathlon stuff is sideline stuff that I do for my wife and friends. Still, it is very frustrating for the camera not to be able to do what I need / want it to do. I will post some examples of good shots (standard stuff), shot with the 85, and some of the oof stuff as well as soon as I am done processing them.

Video? What's video?

MikalWGrass

Michiel,

The a99 is an option but since I don't photograph for a living, it will be an expensive toy. I just remembered that the a99 doesn't have an optical viewfinder, though I am sure the evf is very good. I will have to see one in the flesh to see if it is an option for me. In the meantime I will probably just continue to grouse about the lack of "perfect pictures" to be the fault of the camera and not my lack of talent.

V

Vivek

Mikal, The A99 is not a professional camera. Sony do not have a professional camera in their current line up (those in doubt can check Sony sites).