Thread: A99 is here!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A99 is here!

Looks interesting. The questions I have in mind are:

Whats the high iso performance?

How weather sealed is it really?...(its got lots of little holes on top plate for mic)

And the big deal maker or breaker- The EVF, is it really worth it to go this route?

Aaron.

Post Thanks / Like

Hands on preview here
    Sony Alpha SLT-A99 Camera - Hands-On Preview
    Sony chatty video (Which uses the word awsome a lot so be warned)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvFgU...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by DavidL; 12th September 2012 at 02:55.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My thoughts are "When will my g'damn pre-order arrive!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Looks interesting. The questions I have in mind are:

Whats the high iso performance?
    Early ISO tests look very good to me - on par with the Mark III and D800

How weather sealed is it really?...(its got lots of little holes on top plate for mic)
    I would trust Sony's claims.

And the big deal maker or breaker- The EVF, is it really worth it to go this route?

Aaron.
    Depends on your view of the technology and whether you see the potential benefits for your personal mode of shooting. I do concert, architectural and editorial and I see great benefits for all three types. Others may not...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I pre-ordered one from 3 places

I do love my D800E, and Zeiss lenses, and yet at the same time, because of my horrible vision, I either have to trust AF confirm light on my D800 which I don't so I have to use LV which is not the greatest when zoomed in,
    I use the OVF for composition only then go right to LV.

I also still have my NEX 7 with its excellent EVF and tilting LCD, I can easily manual focus anything, and I don't even have focus peaking turned on.

So the A99 for me at least on paper should be a good fit. My only question I ask myself is can I live with "only" 24mp???

I have already ordered and received Leitax mounts so I can easily convert my Zeiss Nikon glass over to Sony mount with ease and I also purchased a used Contax 135mm F2.8 MM Zeiss T* lens and converted the mount already to Sony and have been trying it out with my nex 7, works great.

We will see....
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Drool... Dual phase detection always on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me everything hinges on the quality of the EVF. The A900 is so good with it's optical VF that the A99 will need to be just superb. Having said that, the A77 's EVF is very good and has allowed me to get shots in very low light that the A900 just would not see. The light gain is so useful but it still has a bit of screen lag and if Sony have eliminated that on the A99 it could be a winner.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

In bright and contrasty light I found the EVF of the Nex7 not to be on par with a goodoptical viewfinder.
    I am not into Sony DSLR but if I was I would prefer a camera with an OVF.
    For people who do like EVF this sounds like a great camera and I am sure it will deliver great IQ.

Post Thanks / Like

How much?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

reported to be 2500 in the UK. It usually equates to about the same in US$ in the states...........we always get charged more on this side of the pond!!!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What are the options for lenses ? Are there adapters which will let us shoot manual focus, with "legacy glass" as we can with NEX ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent choices for manual focus lenses.
    Easy mount conversion you can do yourself from leitax.com
    I will be converting my Zeiss ZF1/ZF2 glass over to A mount.
    Easy to do also you can get used Contax/Zeiss MM lenses which are excellent and convert those also.

For manual focus photographers who want FF 24MP, The A99 will be the way to go. I believe so much, that I ordered one and plan to replace me D800E.

Thank hopefully next year Sony will come out with a 36mp version of the camera and I will be all set.

Don't get me wrong I love my D800E, best DSLR out there right now, but for me who only shoots manual focus lenses, my vision is not so great and I need all the help I can get for accurate focus, and the A99 is the ticket for me. D800E using LV zoomed in is not a great experience, and I also have to use a 3x Hoodman loupe

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by KenLee View Post
    What are the options for lenses ? Are there adapters which will let us shoot manual focus, with "legacy glass" as we can with NEX ?
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you - that's very encouraging !

I really like the focus-peaking feature: I don't know if any other cameras have it, but for me it's a show-stopper if the camera doesn't have that. If Sony is the only one with that, I will stay with Sony.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I have read some tests where the same lenses, mounted on a full-frame camera, get around 33% higher resolution than on APS-C sensors. I guess it's hard to make a good sensor that is small.

I would love a 36MP version of the A99. Perhaps next year at this time, that will be the new subject of conversation.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say I am really intrigued by the A99. Especially the EVF if it really holds up to the specs and rumors will be a super solution, of course also for MF glass.

I still want to wait a bit before I make a jump again and let first others experience issues and problems. I could see that for my style of shooting the 24MP if they are really good should be better than 36MP, which almost none of the existing Nikon glass and also not much of Zeiss glass can really hold up against - so then its better to stay with 24MP.

On the other hand as the A99 also has a broad selection of A-mount Zeiss lenses, where some of them are on my favorite list like the 24, the new 50, the 85 and the 135 this is maybe the better solution over all. And also the 70-400 seems to be fully supported on the A99 dual AF which should be a real advantage compared to Nikon and Canon and both of their lens solutions in that range are just older than ancient in design.

Finally also Sony will bring a 36MP FF DSLR in the next 12-18 months, which could then be the high res solution for landscape work etc.

Starts all adding together nicely

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Excellent choices for manual focus lenses.
    Easy mount conversion you can do yourself from leitax.com
    I will be converting my Zeiss ZF1/ZF2 glass over to A mount.
    Easy to do also you can get used Contax/Zeiss MM lenses which are excellent and convert those also.

Steven
    When I look at the instructions on the Leitax site for conversions of C/Y Zeiss lenses, then I think it does not look all that easy. Besides I don't like to take all the original mounts of my Zeiss lenses, although it is reversable. And Leitax conversion costs € 68 for each lens without focus conformation ( about € 50,- extra) and shipping.

For the rest it is only M42 mounts to use on Sony Alpha with a straight adapter. So the choice is actually very limited. The Canon mount has far more possibilitys to use different mounts with regular adapters.

That is why I wait for FF mirrorless, I think.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with Peter,
    It seems that 24MP is probably the peak MP for todays hi quality lenses,
    again not to say you can't get great results with todays lenses and the D800/D800E
    I know I do, just takes perfect technique. Not saying the A99 will also require perfect technique, but getting there should be easier. I hope.....
    And if the SLT mirror does prove to be a IQ reducer, I guess you can just pull it out, yeah loose AF, but for me AF I don't even use.
    Should be interesting
    Just have to wait and see.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michiel,
    I thought the same thing, but still went ahead and ordered both the C/Y to Sony A mount and the Zeiss ZF1/ZF2 mounts.
    To be honest I did the conversion on my Contax 135/2.8 MM lens, it really was not that hard to do, just follow the instructions, and if you get stuck, Paul at Leitax always responds to emails and was a great help.
    The mounts are of very high quality and worth every penny IMHO.
    Focus conformation is also available, you just need to order the chip that easily glues onto the Leitax mount, though again whats the need of focus conformation on a EVF/ Focus peaking and zoom in. This is the best conformation you can get.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    When I look at the instructions on the Leitax site for conversions of C/Y Zeiss lenses, then I think it does not look all that easy. Besides I don't like to take all the original mounts of my Zeiss lenses, although it is reversable. And Leitax conversion costs 68 for each lens without focus conformation ( about 50,- extra) and shipping.

For the rest it is only M42 mounts to use on Sony Alpha with a straight adapter. So the choice is actually very limited. The Canon mount has far more possibilitys to use different mounts with regular adapters.

Michiel
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Steven, I think about it. But I think I left big dslr bodys, although I really want to go FF now.
    I Have about 13 C/Y Zeiss lenses. That will count up .

But I think it will be a lovely camera and may be....

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

I am not mechanically inclined so I had Dave at Leitax do the conversion and chip for my Leica R 50/1.4. I wanted the chip because I wanted the focus confirmation for my a900. If you don't need the chip because the a99 has focus peaking, don't get it. The Leitax adapters are worth every penny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michiel,
    Keep me in mind if you ever want to sell any of your C/Y lenses, All that is important is that they are the "MM" model and have green lettering on F16/F22

+1 on what Mikal has to say about Leitax.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I look at the instructions on the Leitax site for conversions of C/Y Zeiss lenses, then I think it does not look all that easy. Besides I don't like to take all the original mounts of my Zeiss lenses, although it is reversable. And Leitax conversion costs € 68 for each lens without focus conformation ( about € 50,- extra) and shipping.

Michiel
    Michiel,

I will mirror what others have said here about the ease of the Leitax conversions - I have done two of my C/Y lenses. Both chipped.

And, yes Canon may have more straight adapter options available but I am mostly interested in my Contax glass and I have used it in the past on an adapted Canon 5D with dismal results. And that was with AF confirm.

The Leitax conversion is light years better than any adapter in terms of fit and I can routinely focus accurately at f2 with AF confirm on my A900. On the NEX with peaking, 1.4 is great - a near impossibility on Canon.

But I can understand your concerns about wanting to keep the mounts original. given the relative low cost of some of these lenses I was willing to go forward with the conversion without much risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steven, I think about it. But I think I left big dslr bodys, although I really want to go FF now.
    I Have about 13 C/Y Zeiss lenses. That will count up .

But I think it will be a lovely camera and may be....

Michiel
    All that mirrors my feelings exactly.

With Pentax and Olympus one can use the IBIS also with non-chipped lenses as there is a possibility to enter the focal length in the menu system. Is it the same with Sony?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    All that mirrors my feelings exactly.

With Pentax and Olympus one can use the IBIS also with non-chipped lenses as there is a possibility to enter the focal length in the menu system. Is it the same with Sony?
    Yeah, I remember that from my E-3, that was/is a good feature. As I understand it all lenses are stabilised on the Sony A99, but I leave the knowledge about that to the Sony dslr l users.

Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Michiel,

I will mirror what others have said here about the ease of the Leitax conversions - I have done two of my C/Y lenses. Both chipped.

And, yes Canon may have more straight adapter options available but I am mostly interested in my Contax glass and I have used it in the past on an adapted Canon 5D with dismal results. And that was with AF confirm.

The Leitax conversion is light years better than any adapter in terms of fit and I can routinely focus accurately at f2 with AF confirm on my A900. On the NEX with peaking, 1.4 is great - a near impossibility on Canon.

But I can understand your concerns about wanting to keep the mounts original. given the relative low cost of some of these lenses I was willing to go forward with the conversion without much risk.
    I could do some of the less expensive ones. Sadly my two favourite, although green 22 MM, are not on the Leitax list. The 100/2 planar and the Distagon 35/1.4.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The way I understand using non chipped lenses on the A99 or A77 is that it acts as if a 50mm lens is being used.
    Again I think this is all a mute point.
    The A99 to date is the first FF DSLR with a built in EVF... way cool, especially for us vision impaired photographers....
    Now if there was only an "E" version sans AA filter, now that would be cool.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Am I right in thinking that unlike with NEX cameras, the flange distance is too long for Nikon, Canon, Leica M-series, Pentax, etc. ?

If that's the case, I'll wait for a 36MP NEX.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The price has dropped for this intermediate level camera even before it has hit the vendor shelves!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The price has dropped for this intermediate level camera even before it has hit the vendor shelves!
    Do you mean the A99?

What did it drop to?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Only in Canada
    In the USA same price
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

I changed my mind: I'll wait for a 36MP NEX with an APS-C sensor.

That would be the best of both worlds: good image quality, smaller + lighter than an SLR, adaptable to all lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KenLee View Post
    I changed my mind: I'll wait for a 36MP NEX with an APS-C sensor.

That would be the best of both worlds: good image quality, smaller + lighter than an SLR, adaptable to all lenses.
    I think I agree. I tryed the A99 at the Sony booth at Photokina with the new 50/1.4 Zeiss.
    Beautiful but really heavy. Very heavy and big lens. I don't think I want to go back to that size of camera. I came to the conclusion it is too obtrusive for most things I do. The plus is also I don't have to Leitax my C/Y Zeiss lenses.

I rather have the same or a 36mp sensor camera without the translucent mirror.
    I am very curious who will be the first manufacturer of a mirrorless FF camera. Sony, Fuji or Pentax/Ricoh?

I wished Ricoh would make a FF Leica mount with the new Sony sensor and give it the same treatment they gave the A12 Leica M mount. Alsofrom Sony but a 12mp sensor. No AA filter.
    It draws wonderfull sharp images.

First I am going to be happy with the Sigma DPm2 Merrill. I am going to try some razorsharp stichwork with it.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

How is the high iso and the continual focus tracking on the a99? I just shot a triathlon with my a900 in low light and trying to focus on moving swimmers in very low light was brutal. Way way way too many out of focus images for my tastes.

I was using the ZA 85/1/4 so the glass was plenty fast and plenty good.

The daylight images were much better but trying to capture the elite swimmers coming out of the water at 7:20 am, without using a flash, was way too trying.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did not have the time to try it, really crowded, but I think for this kind of work the A99 will be a whole lot better. They put a lot of afford in the videopart of the camera, must come in handy for your work as well.

See here DxOMark - Measurement
    High ISO performance of the same sensored Nikon 600 is even a tad better as the D800E

Post Thanks / Like

Michiel, the triathlon stuff is sideline stuff that I do for my wife and friends. Still, it is very frustrating for the camera not to be able to do what I need / want it to do. I will post some examples of good shots (standard stuff), shot with the 85, and some of the oof stuff as well as soon as I am done processing them.

Video? What's video?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Video is for people who like things to be moving and track them

Post Thanks / Like

Michiel,

The a99 is an option but since I don't photograph for a living, it will be an expensive toy. I just remembered that the a99 doesn't have an optical viewfinder, though I am sure the evf is very good. I will have to see one in the flesh to see if it is an option for me. In the meantime I will probably just continue to grouse about the lack of "perfect pictures" to be the fault of the camera and not my lack of talent.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mikal, The A99 is not a professional camera. Sony do not have a professional camera in their current line up (those in doubt can check Sony sites).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Vivek, you're right. That will be the 36MP flagship next year.
    Hope they have the time to make that full frame NEX.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, I don't really need a professional camera, but I guess for what I want I do.

Michiel, by next year do you mean 2013 or 2014?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2013, Sony is moving fast.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am very curious who will be the first manufacturer of a mirrorless FF camera. Sony, Fuji or Pentax/Ricoh?
    Hi Michiel
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, Leica have been making one since 2009, but if you insist on Live View, Focus Peaking etc. then the M should do the job.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, I just said so myself in the Thoughts on mirrorless....thread post 75

That M does have it all, but I want an € alternative ... I mean I don't need the complicated rangefinder mechanics.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, I just said so myself in the Thoughts on mirrorless....thread post 75

That M does have it all, but I want an alternative ... I mean I don't need the complicated rangefinder mechanics.
    Hi Michiel
    I didn't mean you had to subscribe to it (although, despite it's shortcomings, the complicated rangefinder is still the magic in the M).

On the other hand, I'm very interested in the A99 - dangerously interested!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh oh....Shouldn't you save a little for the M. At least Ebay will be happy :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh oh....Shouldn't you save a little for the M. At least Ebay will be happy :-)
    I think the M comes first, but I still have some of my nice full frame A mount lenses, so an A99 body alone is not so prohibitive.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I was wondering if you still had them (135 Zeiss) But then you want that new 50 Zeiss lens. Yes I know, you want that lens!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do still have them . . . and of course, if I got the A99 I would want that new 50 too. Still, it's a decision for next year, not this year. In the meantime the lenses stay.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I am posting some of the low light photos that I took yesterday morning at the Escape To Miami Triathlon, on the 850/900 keeper thread. All of the photos were taken at 6400 and close to wide open, if not wide open. None were really retouched, and the lighting is what it was. These are some pre-race shots. I will post others later today.

I want to apologize because I just looked at the data on the shots of the swimmers, and noticed that I shot them at 640 not 6400. I had plenty of latitude in the "film speed" so I had plenty of room to play in the "film speed" department.