Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony RX1

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony RX1

Quote Originally Posted by Bugleone View Post
    In a comparison (last week) on the 'Luminous-Landscape' site, the Sigma DP-2 Merill produced superior image quality to most/all other hand cameras and was nearly equivalent to the Leica M9.......And, it's only about 800 USD, if I remember.......

......Actually, if the Sony is going to be £4000 in the UK it makes the Leica M9 suddenly look like good value for money at £5000, since it'a available at European prices being a European product.
    I dont know about the dp-2 Merill but have owned the original dp1 and dp2 for some time. While DR and detail at base iso was enourmous, I found color to be lets say "special"/"different". And when you went up in OS color even got more problematic (skin looked dead).
    I am sure the Merill has been improved though, but compared to the dp1 and dp2 I found the Leica x1 much more usefull and flexible regarding IQ in various conditions.

For the RX1 - sounds great in one way but for my part I think the price of a x100 or a x1/x2 would be the max Iwould want to pay for a small compact with a prime. And lets not forget that with a viewfinder and with that lens the rx1 is not really a pocket camera.
    I am not sure yet if I like this size-too big for a pocket camera but too small to handle really nice and well. But for others it might be just right.
    For the same money I would personally rather buy a x-pro 1 with 21 and 35mm and a rx100 when it gets small.

Post Thanks / Like

In a comparison (last week) on the 'Luminous-Landscape' site, the Sigma DP-2 Merill produced superior image quality to most/all other hand cameras and was nearly equivalent to the Leica M9.......And, it's only about 800 USD, if I remember.......

......Actually, if the Sony is going to be £4000 in the UK it makes the Leica M9 suddenly look like good value for money at £5000, since it'a available at European prices being a European product.
    That's only in good light (ideally full spectrum) and for the DP2M the camera already starts to fall apart as early as ISO 400. The Sony will not have that problem. The DR of the Sony I bet will be also better an the Sony uses 14-bit RAWS which help overall tones and noise/DR.

Not saying the DP2M doesn't have its merit and charm, but people who say it has the best image quality need to be careful how they quantify that. For even modicum lower light work the answer is absolutely not. And the new Foveon even has some rather weird color casts in shadows (sometimes) as early as ISO 100!

- Raist
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    $3,400 with a viewfinder? Isn't this the company that sold the likewise full frame A850 for $2,000? I get a feeling that they charge this kind of price just because there's nothing like it. But there is. For that kind of money, I can buy an X-1Pro plus an RX100 for when I want small, getting the best of both worlds. Or an X100 and the RX100 and an OM-D. None of those are full frame, but with the qualities of those Fuji sensors and lenses, who cares anyway? 35mm isn't exactly portrait territory, so I can do well without the (limited) shallow DOF.

But maybe others can't?
    Well as you said, there's nothing like it. Keep in mind the Sony has a leaf shutter so it must be pretty quiet. All the cameras you mentioned are good.

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A leaf shutter is good. Beside being quiet would allow for very high flash sync shutter speeds. However, with the EVF port and the flash shoe in one place, it is half baked at best.

Post Thanks / Like

It almost seems like sony had pitty on Leica. Had they made this camera with interchangeable Zeiss autofocus lenses, a 28mm, the 35mm, a fast 50mm and an 85mm, and put a hybrid finder in it...goodbye m10, hello long awaited Contax G3-D.
    A smallish, flexible, real 35mm camera system with presumably incredible image quality, and leaf shutter AF Zeiss glass...I guess it'll happen soon enough.

I'm guessing this a the test balloon. It probably cost a fortune to do it, but not nearly as much as a whole system. Now they can see how it works, if it's something the market is interested in and what they can and must improve on to make it perfect, then they'll bring on the real deal as a whole system.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My guess is they are looking for something to go upmarket from the nex7 ..... and the RX1 is the test balloon to see if folks are really ready to plop down FF money on a compact.

and they are not just quite sure how to do it yet.

some weird dual mount thing .... E mount lenses + 3 zeiss primes

hybrid optical/EFF?

My guess is senior product managers are going to fight it out and we see what wins two years from now.

For my money, TODAY ( and that is what I buy gear for ) the OMD beat the NEX-7 due to lenses.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Good value for the M9? Not unless you already have lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kipling View Post
    It almost seems like sony had pitty on Leica. Had they made this camera with interchangeable Zeiss autofocus lenses, a 28mm, the 35mm, a fast 50mm and an 85mm, and put a hybrid finder in it...goodbye m10, hello long awaited Contax G3-D.
    A smallish, flexible, real 35mm camera system with presumably incredible image quality, and leaf shutter AF Zeiss glass...I guess it'll happen soon enough.

I'm guessing this a the test balloon. It probably cost a fortune to do it, but not nearly as much as a whole system. Now they can see how it works, if it's something the market is interested in and what they can and must improve on to make it perfect, then they'll bring on the real deal as a whole system.
    I hope you are right!

Post Thanks / Like

Would anyone pay Leica money (or close) for a Sony if they did release a FF IL tomorrow?
    (with an array of Zeiss AF lenses for Leica money too)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Many would buy if it is versatile and useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Many would buy if it is versatile and useful.
    I'll take that as one yes for now

Post Thanks / Like

There is certainly a market for a mirrorless full-frame solution but I guess the EVF-technology is not yet advanced enough to compete with the DSLR-systems (which has already changed in the APS-C-segment). So Sony starts with this compact camera!?

IMHO, the lens-quality is critical, to really justify the larger sensor it has to be better than usual offerings. What is this sensor good for when the outer zones are crap and you have to stop down? The large rear element might indicate the effort but let's see if Zeiss has convinced Sony to invest into tighter tolerances as well... An excellent performing 2/35 usually costs way beyond 1000$ on it's own...

Outrageous is the higher price point in Germany, though...

Post Thanks / Like

I really believe Fuji has done a great job with their IL system and lenses. They are very high quality glass and their sensor is amazing, and certainly challenges that of full frame offerings for handling noise, if not for the DOF part. However, they offer very fast apertures which makes up for it.

Fuji offers in all their cameras to date a great EVF solution built into the cameras!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji has done some amazing work with the sensors and lenses of their X-series cameras, and if history is any indication, Sony will struggle to match the high ISO performance of the X-Pro1, even with a larger sensor.
    The problem is, by introducing Trans-X, you sacrifice low ISO chroma resolution for great high ISO performance. It is a trade off, and it leaves aliasing, color artifacts and chroma smoothing at lower ISO, even with the current "best" raw converter for Trans-X, RPP. When all of the raw converter kinks are worked out, and advanced algorithms are used, the sensor still won't be able to get close to the bayer chroma resolution.

The Trans-X might compete at high ISO with the RX1...might, but the RX1 will be much better at low to mid ISO. As someone who shoots most of the time under ISO 1600, I'd pick any of the NEX sensors over the Trans-X, let alone the RX1's sensor. If I was a frequent high ISO shooter, I'd likely go Trans-X. Pick your poison.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    It seems no one remember gems like the Hexar AF, the Ricoh GR, Minolta TC, Nikon 35/28Ti, the Contax compacts, the Minox 35, the Rollei 35s, etc. (It is actually an E-P1 with OVF and 17mm lens done a little better.) This camera is really nothing new but simply bring back what used to be a great concept--a simple, elegant camera with high image quality. The fixed focal length does not put me off.
    +1

It really is the FF cousin to the X2, with a few more features thrown in (primarily the video). Wish it had the same control layout as the X2 but that's no biggie, really, as the A mode and direct access EV compensation is also good. It'll be a little more like using the GXR and a little less like using the X2 in that respect. Both are fine. I don't really need the video but as long as they didn't make the menus and such too complicated it won't get in the way.

The bigger question is whether it will actually improve upon the X2's performance in any significant way. I'm sure the lens is wonderful (so is the X2 lens), I'm sure the sensor is wonderful (so is the X2 sensor)—so it becomed "Will 50% more pixels and (theoretically) 2-3 stops more sensitivity net a practical advantage worth the additional $1000?"

I love this type of camera, however: I've decided that I'll most likely have to give it a try. I'll wait a while and see if I have the spare sheckles around after Lightroom can process RX1 raw files.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A leaf shutter is good. Beside being quiet would allow for very high flash sync shutter speeds. However, with the EVF port and the flash shoe in one place, it is half baked at best.
    Same issue with all the current "optional EVF" cameras. That said, I've yet to use flash with the X2 other than for testing purposes. Seems that when I use flash, I tend to pull out the GXR and use the LCD or I use the E-1 and its viewfinder.

Post Thanks / Like

My pre-order in in! This, on paper, promises to blow anything its size out of existence, IQ-wise. 35mm happens to be my preferred focal length, and I love Zeiss glass. I would have loved a ilt LCD and integrated VF, but there is no alternative, so what is th epoint of whining? Now let's hope that Sony delivers on the promise...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I was crossing fingers this would be a lower price, but to put things in perspective:

The 35/2 Zeiss ZE or ZF is $1117 (so ~$1700 for the 'body'.) The 35/2 Summicron is $3195 -- just for the lens...and neither have AF.

Lastly, with 24mp there is plenty of resolution for cropping to 50mm focal length equivalent

So for shooters that primarily use 35 or 50, this is quite viable and not really that pricey. The cheapest full frame option with a Zeiss 35 is the D600 ($3200+) and you don't get AF with that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I was crossing fingers this would be a lower price, but to put things in perspective:

The 35/2 Zeiss ZE or ZF is $1117 (so ~$1700 for the 'body'.) The 35/2 Summicron is $3195 -- just for the lens...and neither have AF.

Lastly, with 24mp there is plenty of resolution for cropping to 50mm focal length equivalent

So for shooters that primarily use 35 or 50, this is quite viable and not really that pricey. The cheapest full frame option with a Zeiss 35 is the D600 ($3200+) and you don't get AF with that...
    I'd still want to see a comparison with the Sigma DP2 Merrill. I know I have gone on about how good the DP2M is on another thread, but it really is shockingly, mind alteringly good - at Low ISO. Love the look of the Sony, but the lens and overal performance are going to have to be something else to justify the price. Probably will have stellar high ISO performance, which would be a bonus. Odd camera though for that money. and as for the lens - well Sigma have produced a belter on the DP2 Merril, just because it has Zeiss in the name does not necessarily mean the RX1 lens will be any better.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now try the same in a different perspective:

VG900, offers AF, an EVF, a swivel LCD, plenty of other video goods...it even comes with a free adapter!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A Holga is lighter, cheaper, and makes medium-format images...

I guess we can cut this pie into all kinds of shapes. It simply comes down to whether it has value for you. There is nothing objective about camera choice.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, and don't forget ultra quiet leaf shutter 1/2000 flash sync.

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Now try the same in a different perspective:

VG900, offers AF, an EVF, a swivel LCD, plenty of other video goods...it even comes with a free adapter!
    Little harder to put in a jacket, but you are right on that.

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BackToSlr View Post
    Little harder to put in a jacket, but you are right on that.

N
    Yep, and that's kinda the point of the RX1, no? If you throw size out the window, there's not much reason to buy the RX1 over the other options out there. It is the small size that is unique, in the FF world.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes but in fairness to the D600 you have the option of choosing many lenses and you get a VF. Once you add the EVF then they're roughly the same price without the versatility.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Yes but in fairness to the D600 you have the option of choosing many lenses and you get a VF. Once you add the EVF then they're roughly the same price without the versatility.
    And you still have a manual focus lens with an optical viewfinder - this doesn't work for my poor eyesight.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I slip my E-P1 with the Panasonic 20mm + UV Filter + lens cap in my coat pocket all the time. I did some measuring and the RX1 is actually smaller, although the depth with the lens is exactly the same as my E-P1 with my 20mm with the cap and filter. I also put my E-P1 in my coat pocket with the Olympus VF-1 optical finder attached.

The RX1 is a small camera.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    And you still have a manual focus lens with an optical viewfinder - this doesn't work for my poor eyesight.
    The extra bonus with the RX1 is that in sharp sunlight, at an angle, you probably won't be able to figure out what's on the LCD even with the eyesight of an eagle. A very democratic camera in that respect

I was out taking photos with the OM-3 and Zuiko 35mm f/2.0 yesterday. High ISO sucks and I'll never reach grainless 24MP unless I start using Adox CMS 20, but I can shoot another 700 rolls before I reach $2,800 and the fun of catching the moment is equally great

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I can't imagine buying the camera without the EVF. No tilt LCD screen is a bummer.

Post Thanks / Like

will the Leica 35mm external viewfinder work? can we turn off LCD? isn't we need optical vf only for perspective?
    I guess it's too soon to know since no one have it yet
    if so, I can use mine without buying one.'
    and I did preorder one at Amazon
    Sonny

Post Thanks / Like

Wait a year and you could probably pick one of these up for less than $1000.00. By then the full-frame NEX will be announced.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by just4fun View Post
    will the Leica 35mm external viewfinder work? can we turn off LCD? isn't we need optical vf only for perspective?
    Sonny
    It just need to match the FoV. So if it is design for a 35mm lens on a 35mm body or for a smaller sensor camera with an equivalent focal length of a 35mm on a 35mm body, then it will work.

You don't need to even buy the Zeiss/Sony OVF, you can use the Voightlander 35mm OVF or did up an old one of ebay.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by just4fun View Post
    Sonny
    But how to check focus? Zone focusing with 24MP 35mm sensor and f/2.0 isn't a combination that I would trust for photos to be sharp where I want them sharp.

I would go as far as saying that 24MP without a very good viewfinder is totally pointless. Resolutionwise, we are into what only a few years ago was MF territory. There's a reason why Hasselblad deliver cameras with a viewfinder included in the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For street shooting at f8, the OVF would be ok, but I'd buy the EVF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the EVF. I had the same on my 5N, and I loved the tilt feature, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence in its build when banging it around on things. I've seen threads where the frame around the eyepiece broke off.

If this RX1 had a 50mm-ish lens, and maybe a tilt LCD, I'd blow the money on it, but there is a combination of little things missing from it that are keeping me from spending the money.

Yes the EVF, although nice to be external as it means it can articulate from horizontal to vertical, can be a weakness, but on saying that my EVF stays mounted on my 5n permanently, and it gets quite a bit of abuse in my bag, and has not broken or failed yet. What has happened is the Eye cup has fallen, never broken off as the clip holding it to the EVF is all not that strong or tight. I am on my second eyecup, as the last one got lost during some street shooting.

Is it possible that Sony may release a high quality telelconverter adapter similar to the the nex 16mm pancake adapters, that could make the 35mm f2.0 into a 50mm 2.8?

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, I think going leaf shutter is a good move. Like you said quiet, and having flash sync for internal flash up to 1/2000 is indeed impressive. The only other camera I own that can do this kind of flash sync is the Panasonic LX3.

I read using an external flash via the hot shoe cannot take advantage of this high flash sync. The nex 5n with hotshoe adapter can flash syn 1/320, the nex7 built in hot shoe can only muster 1/160.

By putting the EVF on the hot shoe, the EVF position mimicks a DLR type stance where the viewfinder is directly above the lens. Some people prefer this over having a EVF on the side, rangefinder style.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    I really believe Fuji has done a great job with their IL system and lenses. They are very high quality glass and their sensor is amazing, and certainly challenges that of full frame offerings for handling noise, if not for the DOF part. However, they offer very fast apertures which makes up for it.

Fuji offers in all their cameras to date a great EVF solution built into the cameras!
    absolutely agree, the whole full frame better quality is only limited by technology. As time goes on, improved powerful processor and sensor designs will allow higher density sensor that are smaller and have excellent signal to noise, like the Fuji X tran sensor.

Not sure if Fuji lens are quite fast enough to outweigh full frame yet. They really have to release some 0.95 aperture lens to compete against the likes of 1.4 type lens available on full frame cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    The problem is, by introducing Trans-X, you sacrifice low ISO chroma resolution for great high ISO performance. It is a trade off, and it leaves aliasing, color artifacts and chroma smoothing at lower ISO, even with the current "best" raw converter for Trans-X, RPP. When all of the raw converter kinks are worked out, and advanced algorithms are used, the sensor still won't be able to get close to the bayer chroma resolution.

The Trans-X might compete at high ISO with the RX1...might, but the RX1 will be much better at low to mid ISO. As someone who shoots most of the time under ISO 1600, I'd pick any of the NEX sensors over the Trans-X, let alone the RX1's sensor. If I was a frequent high ISO shooter, I'd likely go Trans-X. Pick your poison.
    wow, very informative. did not realize that much aliasing on the xtrans sensor.It really defeats having an x-tran sensor if the aliasing is not reduced or eliminated. One may as well just do what Leica did and use conventional bayer and omit the AA filter in favour of software correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    wow, very informative. did not realize that much aliasing on the xtrans sensor.It really defeats having an x-tran sensor if the aliasing is not reduced or eliminated. One may as well just do what Leica did and use conventional bayer and omit the AA filter in favour of software correction.
    Keep in mind that there is less aliasing with Adobe raw converter or the in-camera jpegs, but then you get the smoothing that many shooters complain about, especially in the green things like foliage. RPP seems to be the favorite for the sensor, right now, because it doesn't have as much of the water color effect.

The sensor will do much better if the raw converter companies implement much more processor intensive algorithms, but it seems they're going with just good enough right now. I'd imagine Andrey at RPP will take the best stab at it.

However, even if great conversion happens, it still will have less chroma resolution than a normal Bayer sensor in good light. It does do great in lowlight, though, so it's a trade off.

Better explanation than I can provide here: X-Pro 1 tested by Pop Photo - FM Forums

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

True, but both cameras have advantages the other lacks...just pointing out the price is basically fair.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

True, but both cameras have advantages the other lacks...just pointing out the price is basically fair.
    Probably so for some. I've always stayed away from cameras like they personally. I just expect versatility when spending the coin but it's apples, oranges, and all kinds of fruits in these comparisons.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jsnack View Post
    Wait a year and you could probably pick one of these up for less than $1000.00. By then the full-frame NEX will be announced.
    Will not happen. You should check out the used prices of 5N.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Probably so for some. I've always stayed away from cameras like they personally. I just expect versatility when spending the coin but it's apples, oranges, and all kinds of fruits in these comparisons.
    Of course. There is only one apple to directly compare to an RX1 and that's another RX1...all others are oranges. But this does lend perspective to the pricing; it's not out of line.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Will not happen. You should check out the used prices of 5N.
    Yes there will be depreciation but not that steep.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course. There is only one apple to directly compare to an RX1 and that's another RX1...all others are oranges. But this does lend perspective to the pricing; it's not out of line.
    A good comparison is the leica x2, which is $2000. Both cameras have high quality lenses and lack a built-in viewfinder. How much would Leica charge for a FF X2?

I'm wondering whether the $250 EVF for the NEX-5N would work on the RX1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zone focusing with 24MP 35mm sensor and f/2.0 isn't a combination that I would trust for photos to be sharp where I want them sharp.
    For zone focusing to work, even with APS and m4/3, you would choose a much smaller aperture. You can't zone focus wide open with any camera format and expect sharp results.

Also, zone focusing is a 35mm technique, although i have done it with medium-format cameras up to 6x12 as well. DoF is a product of format size, not pixel resolution, so zone focusing is no more difficult with this camera than another 35mm camera with a 35mm lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post

I'm wondering whether the $250 EVF for the NEX-5N would work on the RX1.
    It will not. The connections are very different to start with.

Post Thanks / Like

I think one comment is about how a camera with lens is priced and the other is what you are personally willing to spend. Both are absolutely valid, it only gets tougher now that costs in a bad economy are going up, I honestly don't see pricing changing direction.

Ultimately Sony have labelled this a professional camera, which donates that Sony doesn't really 'intend' the market for enthusiasts/consumer level for their asking price and sure as heck wouldn't mind selling a whole bunch of these RX1s. I totally get it. Leica have never implied their market, they just release cameras LOL.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your background will certainly color your view of this camera. If you have an SLR background, whether digital or film, I am not surprising you find the appeal of this camera somewhat strange. But if you come from a background that uses specialty cameras, such as panoramic cameras, then this can be a really sexy product.

As far as price, some folks think $1K is far too much and will even balk at spending $500. Go look at the price of panoramic cameras which are far simpler and more expensive than the RX1. Sony understands the problem of pricing. I am sure they don't have much of a margin with this and being rather specialized only adds to the price as I doubt they will produce these in the quantities of their other products.

I see this an an unobtrusive low-light camera and, as that, it is a great product.

Now we wait for some real information...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Ultimately Sony have labelled this a professional camera, which donates that Sony doesn't really 'intend' the market for enthusiasts/consumer level for their asking price and sure as heck wouldn't mind selling a whole bunch of these RX1s.

A Cybershot getting "professional" designation and the A99 a "mid level" designation.

Interesting.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post