The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

Brian Mosley

The specs I read on dpreview said ISO 100 was the minimum. Where did you get iso 50?

The X200 should be out soon. I hope Fuji don't see the price of the RX1 and get giddy :D

Cheers

Brian

douglasf13

The RX1 does ISO 50 in jpeg, and it's just a digital push, so no real advantage.

Brain, the OVF is just a simple OVF with framelines.

Brian Mosley

Yes thanks Douglas, as I suspected.

Maybe the EVF will be revolutionary.

Plenty of time to watch the early adopters for feedback.

Cheers

Brian

pophoto

Fuji makes an excellent system with IL already, only thing lacking is decent AF speed, sure the the firmware will make the X-Pro1 faster and same with the X-E1. No it isn't full frame, but what a great sensor. Lenses are decent in size. Now the only thing to look forward to from Fuji is the next generation X Pro 1 hopefully in 2013 and if they can deliver in Speed, it will deliver a good balance in size too. I still feel Full frame cannot deliver in good enough size with lenses in the NEX system, and what they have done with the RX1 is technological marvel!

Full frame ultimately offers two things over smaller sensor 1) DOF, 2)higher ISO sensitivity (better signal to noise ratio).

However, the best the RX1 have gotten with the Zeiss lens is f/2, while taking nothing away, I expect it to be great! With APS-C lenses from Fuji, you can be sure you can overcome lens design by offering to make lenses slightly larger, and thus getting most of the central resolution without the burdening cost. This is always the philosophy of smaller sensor design cameras and they have already offered lenses with larger aperture of f1.4 at a great price point. At the end of the day it's a compromise.

The RX1 are for those who definitely want a the highest quality full frame in the smallest package, and it is as small as m43 Panasonic GX1. Seriously guys, you were never going to get it cheap (US pricing is reasonable)! (Although it is a shame about UK/European pricing)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Seriously it is really nice and we have to give it credit for what it is but it's also a danger as one would become to narrow minded in a visual way. After awhle it will only make YOU see in that FOV and honestly I think that can be very limiting to your art. Let's face it the world is not only one focal length and even our own eyes can focus in and focus out on subject matter. This can't do that it is what it is unless you got some happy feet going on. This goes with any fixed lens out there. Just thinking about it makes me somewhat nervous. Not sure I could actually not shoot well without at least 3 focal lengths to work with. It's lovely though and nice and small. My bet the quality is very good too. I think after awhile the issue is many will get bored with it.

V

Vivek

Yes thanks Douglas, as I suspected.

Maybe the EVF will be revolutionary.

Plenty of time to watch the early adopters for feedback.

Cheers

Brian
They have not made an EVF for it, yet. At least, it has not been shown anywhere.

(surely, they can put the EVF from the A99 in a housing like the A77/NEX-5N and price it for >$600)

douglasf13

They have not made an EVF for it, yet. At least, it has not been shown anywhere.

(surely, they can put the EVF from the A99 in a housing like the A77/NEX-5N and price it for >$600)
The EVF has been shown several places, and it looks just like the NEX-5N EVF, but in black with a new mount.

Photo from user "jpr2" on dpreview.com:

douglasf13

Seriously it is really nice and we have to give it credit for what it is but it's also a danger as one would become to narrow minded in a visual way. After awhle it will only make YOU see in that FOV and honestly I think that can be very limiting to your art. Let's face it the world is not only one focal length and even our own eyes can focus in and focus out on subject matter. This can't do that it is what it is unless you got some happy feet going on. This goes with any fixed lens out there. Just thinking about it makes me somewhat nervous. Not sure I could actually not shoot well without at least 3 focal lengths to work with. It's lovely though and nice and small. My bet the quality is very good too. I think after awhile the issue is many will get bored with it.
I pretty much think the exact opposite. I think most shooters I see on forums could use going to a single prime, as it creates a unified vision (at least for fine art photography) and helps develop a personal style. Many of my favorite photographers in the contemporary art world use a single lens most of the time.

As Orson Welles famously said, "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations." :thumbup:

V

Vivek

That does not look bad at all, Doug (compared to the frankenfinder of Zeiss)!

One other thing that make me scratch my head is the pop up flash and the threaded shutter release. :wtf:

Shashin

All I can say to that is Richard Avadon.

Now, there certainly can be said to lots of approaches to photography and one of them is with limited optics. I have found it actually makes you creative because you have to push in order to get good work--a zoom lens, and I know this is not what you mean, can be a very lazy tool and if it is used just to save you some walking, it makes really dull images.

I have also done a lot of work with regular and panoramic cameras that had a single lens. It certainly is not easy as you really need to push yourself if you are trying to put a body of work together.

I can also see this is a great second body when space and weight are limited. Or using this for street/documentary work as one body with another body with a different focal length. The beauty of this is that quiet and smooth leaf shutter. I have a feeling the optics are going to be really good.

Certainly this camera is not for everyone and to use it is going to take confidence in the photographer, but it is a really neat concept. I think the jury is out until we see some real results and feedback.

Am I falling in love? How quickly you catch the disease...

:ROTFL:

douglasf13

That does not look bad at all, Doug (compared to the frankenfinder of Zeiss)!

One other thing that make me scratch my head is the pop up flash and the threaded shutter release. :wtf:
I have mixed feelings about the EVF. I had the same on my 5N, and I loved the tilt feature, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence in its build when banging it around on things. I've seen threads where the frame around the eyepiece broke off.

If this RX1 had a 50mm-ish lens, and maybe a tilt LCD, I'd blow the money on it, but there is a combination of little things missing from it that are keeping me from spending the money.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
$3,400 with a viewfinder? Isn't this the company that sold the likewise full frame A850 for $2,000? I get a feeling that they charge this kind of price just because there's nothing like it. But there is. For that kind of money, I can buy an X-1Pro plus an RX100 for when I want small, getting the best of both worlds. Or an X100 and the RX100 and an OM-D. None of those are full frame, but with the qualities of those Fuji sensors and lenses, who cares anyway? 35mm isn't exactly portrait territory, so I can do well without the (limited) shallow DOF.

But maybe others can't?

V

Vivek

I have mixed feelings about the EVF. I had the same on my 5N, and I loved the tilt feature, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence in its build when banging it around on things. I've seen threads where the frame around the eyepiece broke off.

If this RX1 had a 50mm-ish lens, and maybe a tilt LCD, I'd blow the money on it, but there is a combination of little things missing from it that are keeping me from spending the money.
For me, instead of the pop up flash an EVF and the versatile tilt LCD on the A99 would have done it. 35mm FL is just fine. I still have my old Minox GL/GT, Olympus XAs. I would also prefer an useful (and no retro looking) shutter release with remote control possibility.

douglasf13

$3,400 with a viewfinder? Isn't this the company that sold the likewise full frame A850 for $2,000? I get a feeling that they charge this kind of price just because there's nothing like it. But there is. For that kind of money, I can buy an X-1Pro plus an RX100 for when I want small, getting the best of both worlds. Or an X100 and the RX100 and an OM-D. None of those are full frame, but with the qualities of those Fuji sensors and lenses, who cares anyway? 35mm isn't exactly portrait territory, so I can do well without the (limited) shallow DOF.

But maybe others can't?
The lens of this camera alone is quite a feat and is a major part of the cost. Going small isn't cheap.

V

Vivek

The lens isn't that small. It is neither here nor there- just a compromise.

The sensor housing, OTOH, is quite small.

douglasf13

The lens isn't that small. It is neither here nor there- just a compromise.

The sensor housing, OTOH, is quite small.
I didn't say the lens was small. However, the lens is a pretty unique design to allow for the small camera. The rear element of the lens is gigantic and sits a couple of millimeters from the sensor.

V

Vivek

In a P&S cam with a leaf shutter they could even put the rear element directly on the sensor. It isn't that unique.

pophoto

Okay it may be relative, but this is a Zeiss lens, with macro switching! Although it may not be considered unique, Sony has still come a long way withis camera.