Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sony RX1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony RX1

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Maybe your beef is with the bloggers and not with the camera...also, those were pre-release cameras, right? As neither were shipping two months ago, and the RX1 still isn't.

Are you looking at direct comparison photos of RX1 next to the A99, with all factors being equal other than the camera?
    Was just looking at comparisons from Dpreview, nothing else. I did not find any note that this was a pre release camera or FW, but you all can check out for yourself and see if you like what is coming out of this camera.

Also please refer to the test methods of Dpreview for further details on parameters and factors ....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The samples at DPreview and the Imaging Resource really show the same thing, the RX1 is just as good as any modern 35mm sensor like the D600, at least for the RAW images (I am not interested in JPEG). By why is that surprising as Sony made those sensors as well?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    If one has to pick the nits then might as well wonder how a lens with so many elements make the camera weigh so little, especially given that it is an "all metal construction". Could the "advanced aspherics" (or at least some of the elements) used are plastic?
    HI Vivek
    I thought that 'advanced aspherics' were nearly always made of plastic - much too expensive to grind out of glass (I've seen Leica's machine for doing this, one element at a time as far as I can remember).

Well - samples look good to me - It's one of those cameras for which one should be very pleased and grateful it exists . . . . and even more so that it doesn't seem necessary to buy

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm sure that, once the raws of this camera are thoroughly tested by a site like DxO Mark, we'll see the usual Sony traits. The RX1 will likely be a fraction of a stop better than the A99 in SNR and DR, because of the A99's mirror, and the RX1 will be a fraction of a stop worse than the D600 in SNR and DR, because Sony tends to use stronger color filters.

That's generally been the story for a while with Sony cameras, and I'm sure the RX1 will follow suit.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Vivek
    I thought that 'advanced aspherics' were nearly always made of plastic - much too expensive to grind out of glass (I've seen Leica's machine for doing this, one element at a time as far as I can remember).

Well - samples look good to me - It's one of those cameras for which one should be very pleased and grateful it exists . . . . and even more so that it doesn't seem necessary to buy
    Hi Jono,

Whether it is plastic or glass it is always one element or, more specifically, one surface at a time.

Leica's techniques may be a bit dated as far as aspheric surfaces go (the one example of that is the old Noctilux 50/1.2). I am pretty sure that the lenses made for Panasonic and other fine cameras do not have any ground out glass but are injection molded. Yes, injection moldable glass are also used for making aspheric surfaces besides plastic.

Lots of cameras are made and do exist or may exist in the future like the "Lunar".

Post Thanks / Like

I had the RX1 on pre-order but cancelled it after some more soul-searching. The price of the cam combined with a viewfinder and hood was just too much for too little on return. I kept comparing like dollars to a new MacBook Pro with an SSD and Retina, or a D800 with a kit lens. Then of course there was the whole early adopter thing and Sonys horrid financials.

Yes I know; its all about the convenience of the camera for its intended use i.e. travel friendly, etc. Still, I wasnt prepared to roll the dice on something that may or may not be well supported after the fact.

Anyway, that's my 2-cents.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,

Whether it is plastic or glass it is always one element or, more specifically, one surface at a time.

Leica's techniques may be a bit dated as far as aspheric surfaces go
    I'm sorry Vivek I'm not as techie as I should be about such stuff, but as far as I remember the machine I saw was very new, and mostly related to the Noctilux.

As far as I remember the computer assesses the moulded glass blank, then applied magnetic abrasive to specific areas and did a bit of rubbing; then it analysed the surface and did it again until perfect. Expensive quality.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what either of us is smoking :-)

but if I compare results, for me clearly the RX1 comes last in IQ - these are only 2 examples at ISO100 and ISO1600, but this stays consistent IMHO if you look to the other sample comparisons ....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I'm sorry Vivek I'm not as techie as I should be about such stuff, but as far as I remember the machine I saw was very new, and mostly related to the Noctilux.

As far as I remember the computer assesses the moulded glass blank, then applied magnetic abrasive to specific areas and did a bit of rubbing; then it analysed the surface and did it again until perfect. Expensive quality.
    Not questioning that Jono. But many Japanese makers have been injection molding glass aspherics for sometime now. This makes the process cheaper.

Leica's 50 year old "simple" triplets are impressive performers even today. Sony isn't Leica and a lens hood can not be priced even more expensive than that of Leica ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not sure what ptomsu is smoking either but I looked at those images and concluded just the opposite. It even beat out the XPRO1. I would suggest maybe one of needed glasses but I was wearing mine.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Reading this is like reading a dpreview thread.

"It's great!"

"No, it sucks"

"Look at the corners, it's soft!"

"What are you talking about? It's sharp as a tack!"

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I'm not sure what ptomsu is smoking either but I looked at those images and concluded just the opposite. It even beat out the XPRO1. I would suggest maybe one of needed glasses but I was wearing mine.
    Well, I was wearing mine as well :-)

Anyway I see it different, but lets stop this discussion and enjoy the RX1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony RX1

I think we need to take the DPReview Studio Shot Comparison web page with a grain of salt.

Usually we can make most cameras look pretty good just by choosing parts of the DPReview test target where focus is spot on.
    The DPR test target is not flat, it has depth.
    And I'm sure we all know how extremely difficult it is to put focus in exactly the same plane when shooting the same target with more than one camera.

As an example I can make the fixed lens Sony look good by choosing this crop of the frame for the comparison (Screendump from the DPReview website)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony RX1

Or I can make the Canon look good by choosing one of these crops

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony RX1

I can make the Nikon look fine by choosing one of these crops

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony RX1

And here's a special offer for the usual Nikon bashers

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Reading this is like reading a dpreview thread.

"It's great!"

"No, it sucks"

"Look at the corners, it's soft!"

"What are you talking about? It's sharp as a tack!"

Mission accomplished for Sony!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony RX1

This crop is interesting as it shows that with the Sony RX1 the capture position and angle has been changed quite a bit
    and it also looks like the Depth Of Field is quite different

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It might be important to note with the Dpreview images that the RX1 is using a wide-angle lens and all the interchangeable lens cameras have longer focal length lenses. Possibly macro lenses. (Which also means object distance is not the same.) I have never known a wide angle lens to be the best at essentially copy work compared with a longer focal length.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Steen, you just blew a hole in everything, now all of them suck. Time to enjoy some of the Baileys...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    This crop is interesting as it shows that with the Sony RX1 the capture position and angle has been changed quite a bit
    and it also looks like the Depth Of Field is quite different
    Uh, wide-angle lens? The RX1 is kind of stuck with that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony RX1

Ah, of course you are right, Shashin, I thought they were using the same focal lenght in the test set-up, my bad

Here's finally a crop that illustrates the exact focus plane of the Sony SLT camera with pin sharp dust speckles.

Summa summarum: four competent cameras with regards to Image Quality, just go with the one with the handling you like the best (or the one you already have lenses for)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Summa summarum: four competent cameras with regards to Image Quality, just go with the one with the handling you like the best (or the one you already have lenses for)
    That is one of the much debated issues (wrt to price) in that the Rx1 comes with a lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, of course you are right, Shashin, I thought they were using the same focal lenght in the test set-up, my bad

Here's finally a crop that illustrates the exact focus plane of the Sony SLT camera with pin sharp dust speckles.

I think the issue with Dpreview and their sample photos is that they are using different focal lengths on different cameras plus they do not focus always on the same spot. If they would let us know where they focus exactly, these samples would be more telling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony RX1

(...) the Rx1 comes with a lens.

Minor problem, Vivek, I'm sure you could quickly fix that

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dpreview images show a focus ramp to the right of the black box.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly, a little birdie says RX1s are showing up at US dealers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL

It seems we can't keep what we dislike about the RX1 straight.

BTW, there is a large 3" viewfinder built into the camera on the back. And two other viewfinder you can add to it as well. Not bad for a camera with no viewfinder.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how RX1 will stack up against new M? 10K, couple months, and we'll know...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Agnius View Post
    I wonder how RX1 will stack up against new M? 10K, couple months, and we'll know...
    Scroll down, there are full-size images comparing the RX1 with an M9 and 35mm Cron:

ƒ\ƒj[ƒTƒCƒo[ƒVƒ‡ƒbƒgDSC-RX1 - ƒfƒWƒJƒWatch

This is a link to the Japanese site Digi Came Watch (DC Watch). There are ISO samples and correction samples as well.
    Last edited by Shashin; 29th November 2012 at 18:21.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, I'm actually with Peter on this one and if one throws the XPro1 in the mix the smaller sensor looks like the winner. Even the OMD looks better IMHO, at least up to iso 1600.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Funny, I'm actually with Peter on this one and if one throws the XPro1 in the mix the smaller sensor looks like the winner. Even the OMD looks better IMHO, at least up to iso 1600.
    Obviously some like to see things through pink glasses we do not

But wait, we should consider that the RX1 has only a fixed lens which is optimized for it's sensor so how could it achieve better results than ICL cameras - LOL
    Last edited by ptomsu; 29th November 2012 at 22:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for talking the time to show us all this good stuff, steen! It strengthens my belief that I can only get to know what a camera or lens can do for me by actually shooting it. To many unknowns otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

I see Canon as consistently sharps, but it looks like a lot of post sharpening has been applied to the picture to the point that you start seeing ghosting to the edge. It is just me seeing this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony RX1

You are not alone, Yat, I see that too.

My first reaction was to think that the Canon looked sharp and contrasty all over the frame, but then I started to notice that it looked a bit harsh in the rendering, which probably just has to do with the camera settings for sharpness and contrast.

Add to that the choices of lenses for the test shots and I reach the same conclusion as Philber when he says:

"It strengthens my belief that I can only get to know what a camera or lens can do for me by actually shooting it. To many unknowns otherwise"

So true, Philber, I will cross stitch that sentence

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony RX1

Shashin wrote:
    >> It seems we can't keep what we dislike about the RX1 straight

On the contrary, Shashin, for me that's an easy one, because personally I only miss 2 basic things to regard it as no less than the prototype of the high-end camera of tomorrow: a built-in viewfinder and a mount for interchangeable lenses.
    (Marc has also mentioned the need for a sync port, but that's not a crucial part for my personal use).
    I did not forget that the RX1 is a fixed lens camera, see this last line in my initial post # 313: "As an example I can make the fixed lens Sony look good by choosing this crop ... "
    My silly mistake was that I imagined they had put similar 35mm focal length optics on the three system cameras as well for the comparison.
    But of course you are right that these test target shots are made totally independent of, and isolated from, each other (and for system cameras probably usually with ~ 50mm normal lenses or something like that).
    Our present comparison selection was just put together for the purpose here (by Peter in the first place).

And with regards to viewfinders: I'm an old dog from the days where a built-in eyelevel viewfinder was a given on a 35mm format camera.
    For me the viewfinder is almost the single most important part of a camera because it is what I use to imagine and make the picture.
    Luckily there are no obligations here so you can feel free to regard the display as a viewfinder. "What is in a name?"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After a lot of internal discussions, I have cancelled my pre-order just as the Rx1 is about to become available.

I see one real use for the Rx-1 (in terms of imaging capability, usability is still very limited)- low light street. Other than that, I can also foresee this sitting unused for months, much like the NEX-5.

I am thinking of placing a pre-order for the Leica M to use the lenses and accessories I already have (and sure to accumulate in the near future). I think that would be more versatile for my use.

Post Thanks / Like

After a lot of internal discussions, I have cancelled my pre-order just as the Rx1 is about to become available.

I see one real use for the Rx-1 (in terms of imaging capability, usability is still very limited)- low light street. Other than that, I can also foresee this sitting unused for months, much like the NEX-5.

I am thinking of placing a pre-order for the Leica M to use the lenses and accessories I already have (and sure to accumulate in the near future). I think that would be more versatile for my use.
    ++1 from my side!

Did the same WRT Leica M and will then again start using my currently unused M glass I have already!

I the future brings a Sony Rxyz system with ICL and integrated EVF then I might reconsider if there are certain advantages like precise and reliable AF. But definitely no desire to become one of the early adopters here!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shashin wrote:
    >> It seems we can't keep what we dislike about the RX1 straight

On the contrary, Shashin, for me that's an easy one, because personally I only miss 2 basic things to regard it as no less than the prototype of the high-end camera of tomorrow: a built-in viewfinder and a mount for interchangeable lenses.
    And the camera is not for you and that is fine. I just don't understand the general vitriol out there for this camera--and I am not speaking of your post, but the general tone around the web. I don't want a sports car, but that does not mean I have to then denigrate sports cars and their manufacturers. And some around the web have upped the rhetoric by saying only idiots would buy this. It almost sounds like this is the only camera in the world and Sony has taken away your birthday. Personally, there are many camera I would never purchase, but they are fine cameras. I simply don't buy them and sleep really well at night.

But the point of my post was that I found it funny that folks have been very upset that this camera has a fixed lens, but then never consider this when looking at test results. But then again, folks have a really hard time with interpreting data.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony RX1

I admire innovative Sony for going this route, Shashin, they are so close to the camera concept of tomorrow we all dream about (or at least many of us), I believe.
    A few basic features still missing in my personal humble opinion, but they (Sony) are getting so close that I would put my money on Sony getting there first.
    In my opinion the RX1 is one of the two most interesting cameras (and surprises) released in 2012, I bought the other one (a classic DSLR of 'yesterday' so to say) but that's not relevant here.

If people are disappointed and react in negative ways I can only think of two reasons in general: the lack of a system mount, and maybe the price level.
    In other words if they react with vitriol it's probably because they want the full featured autofocus mirrorless FF system camera so much (and hope for it at a somewhat affordable price)
    I apologize if at any point I have sounded negative, not my intention, but you are right that for me this version is not quite there yet but I'm very much looking forward to the next RXx model.
    Progress goes on. Go, Sony, go.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We have gotten rid of the Sony TVs and replaced it with Samsung because they are so much better, even though I use Sony cams.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some interesting reviews here:

Amazon.com: Sony DSC-RX1/B Cybershot Full-frame Digital Camera: SONY: Camera & Photo

Steve Huff writes there:

I review cameras, you may know me you may not. Part one of my review was already posted on my site and I have to say that if I could give this 7 stars I would. The RX1 is a tiny beast of a camera and I have never seen results like this from any full frame sensor 35mm camera under $10k. This give better than Leica M9 and Zeiss 35 results for a fraction of the cost. Amazing quality even at f/2 and JPEG mode. Some will hate on this and never hold it or use it just due to the price but IMO it is well worth the cost if you want a camera that can fit in your coat pocket and provide some of the most amazing results with an ease that no other camera can give you. The RX1 is the real deal, and my pick for best camera of 2012. Enough said. I just write 6000 words on it so I am keeping this short and posting my REAL 5 star review due to the 1 star review below from someone who never touched the camera. My order is in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have my order in and I hope it is shipping very soon as one poster claims his order from Amazon is on it way for Monday delivery. I have no idea if it will meet my overblown expectations or be a let down but I am naturally hoping for the former. If it fails, given that SOny has a reputation for not publishing new firmware I will probably return it and maybe repurchase it after Sony fixes whatever issues arise. While $2,800 is not in Leica territory, it is still a lot of money and the camera has to meet a higher level of performance to justify the price. From a purely IQ viewpoint at ISO under 800 I haven't seen any camera that beats the Sigma DPxMs except for the D800E and that is just too big for me to bother with. The IQ is nothing short of stunning and I think it puts the M9 and MM to shame (except in high ISO). Unfortunately in terms of useability type of performance the camera isn't there yet. AF needs work as does the writing of images to the memory card. If the RX1 comes close to that IQ it will be a winner in my mind.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One other note. I hate the DPR comparator and find it mostly worthless for all the reasons so aptly illustrated here. The shots and comparator on Imaging Resource's web site are much better but not perfect either. The flat target ones are the best for comparison because you know where the plane of focus is supposed to be.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have my order in and I hope it is shipping very soon as one poster claims his order from Amazon is on it way for Monday delivery. I have no idea if it will meet my overblown expectations or be a let down but I am naturally hoping for the former. If it fails, given that SOny has a reputation for not publishing new firmware I will probably return it and maybe repurchase it after Sony fixes whatever issues arise. While $2,800 is not in Leica territory, it is still a lot of money and the camera has to meet a higher level of performance to justify the price. From a purely IQ viewpoint at ISO under 800 I haven't seen any camera that beats the Sigma DPxMs except for the D800E and that is just too big for me to bother with. The IQ is nothing short of stunning and I think it puts the M9 and MM to shame (except in high ISO). Unfortunately in terms of useability type of performance the camera isn't there yet. AF needs work as does the writing of images to the memory card. If the RX1 comes close to that IQ it will be a winner in my mind.
    If I have the same option of 30 day no questions asked return privilege, I also would have no hesitations to get one just to check if a 7* rating is worth its claim.

BTW, the rumor has it that after the first batch, everything will be manufactured in China which is indicative of a price drop (or a bigger profit margin for Sony).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It focuses faster than my manual focus cameras and certainly faster than a rangefinder. I am really unsure how fast fast focus is. I suspect it will focus as fast as my Konica Hexar AF and I never had a problem with that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, the rumor has it that after the first batch, everything will be manufactured in China which is indicative of a price drop (or a bigger profit margin for Sony).
    Do you have a link to a source?

I really wonder how moving a production line that is in use is a cost cutting measure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I admire innovative Sony for going this route, Shashin, they are so close to the camera concept of tomorrow we all dream about (or at least many of us), I believe.
    A few basic features still missing in my personal humble opinion, but they (Sony) are getting so close that I would put my money on Sony getting there first.
    In my opinion the RX1 is one of the two most interesting cameras (and surprises) released in 2012, I bought the other one (a classic DSLR of 'yesterday' so to say) but that's not relevant here.

If people are disappointed and react in negative ways I can only think of two reasons in general: the lack of a system mount, and maybe the price level.
    In other words if they react with vitriol it's probably because they want the full featured autofocus mirrorless FF system camera so much (and hope for it at a somewhat affordable price)
    I apologize if at any point I have sounded negative, not my intention, but you are right that for me this version is not quite there yet but I'm very much looking forward to the next RXx model.
    Progress goes on. Go, Sony, go.
    I am really talking in generalities and not about anything you have posted. I am just surprised how a consumer product can cause such emotions. People seem offended that Sony did this.

Obviously, I really like this concept and am looking forward to the camera. I am excited about the camera, but it is just a camera. There is no magic pixie dust that is going to make it be any better than any other nice camera out there. I am going to have to learn to use, just like I have to learn to use every camera I have every bought--I have not come across the perfect camera yet.

Perhaps I think about cameras differently. I usually look for something that adds to, rather than duplicates, what I have. This is certainly a second camera for me. But I think having a really portable camera that can take high-quality images that can come close or match my larger system is very appealing. I have another compact, but the output is really different and so I really never include the work from it with my other system. It is a pity because it does give me a different opportunities and results I wouldn't have gotten with my larger system. For me, the camera changes the way I work and I look for that with other cameras.

I certainly can understand disappointment, but that is not Sony's fault. I just don't get the lashing out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have just browsed through the seven pages of posts that have been directed to this camera (no doubt mainly written by men, as most women are too creative to get bogged down in this stuff

While I learnt a lot from some very helpful posts (thanks), I was surprised at some of the negative comments along the way.

Only one thing matters, show me your photos. When people look at my work they don't comment on the bokeh, the nice sound the leaf shutter must make, the merits of the AF in lower light, or the ISO capabilities (etc). They just look at the photos and like them or not. That's why Instagram works, thanks to the Internet and mass media, people are very visually literate these days and they know in a heartbeat when they see an image they like. So even an iPhone can take pictures that make people experience an emotion.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with this discussion (can be fun), but at the end of the day it matters not a jot. Zero. Nada. Zip. All that matters is you and your creative vision. We have ample amazing tools to choose from. This camera included. Or not. Now go out and take some photos!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Shashin
    I quite agree with you - I think this is a splendid and innovative move by Sony. The only difference between us is whether we want it or not.

I think Steen's dPreview comparisons are excellent - we've long since laughed about that sample shot and the point of focus (it's meant to be on the cross I think, but it varies so much).

I also think that Sony in general are doing a fantastic job - the SLT cameras, and especially the A99, are a real step forward, NEX has already made inroads into 43, and the RX100 (which I do have) is a lovely little camera - great image quality, responsive and easy to use.

Just this guy you know