The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

georgl

There is certainly a market for a mirrorless full-frame solution but I guess the EVF-technology is not yet advanced enough to compete with the DSLR-systems (which has already changed in the APS-C-segment). So Sony starts with this compact camera!?

IMHO, the lens-quality is critical, to really justify the larger sensor it has to be better than usual offerings. What is this sensor good for when the outer zones are crap and you have to stop down? The large rear element might indicate the effort but let's see if Zeiss has convinced Sony to invest into tighter tolerances as well... An excellent performing 2/35 usually costs way beyond 1000$ on it's own...

Outrageous is the higher price point in Germany, though...

pophoto

I really believe Fuji has done a great job with their IL system and lenses. They are very high quality glass and their sensor is amazing, and certainly challenges that of full frame offerings for handling noise, if not for the DOF part. However, they offer very fast apertures which makes up for it.

Fuji offers in all their cameras to date a great EVF solution built into the cameras!

douglasf13

Fuji has done some amazing work with the sensors and lenses of their X-series cameras, and if history is any indication, Sony will struggle to match the high ISO performance of the X-Pro1, even with a larger sensor.
The problem is, by introducing Trans-X, you sacrifice low ISO chroma resolution for great high ISO performance. It is a trade off, and it leaves aliasing, color artifacts and chroma smoothing at lower ISO, even with the current "best" raw converter for Trans-X, RPP. When all of the raw converter kinks are worked out, and advanced algorithms are used, the sensor still won't be able to get close to the bayer chroma resolution.

The Trans-X might compete at high ISO with the RX1...might, but the RX1 will be much better at low to mid ISO. As someone who shoots most of the time under ISO 1600, I'd pick any of the NEX sensors over the Trans-X, let alone the RX1's sensor. If I was a frequent high ISO shooter, I'd likely go Trans-X. Pick your poison.

Godfrey

It seems no one remember gems like the Hexar AF, the Ricoh GR, Minolta TC, Nikon 35/28Ti, the Contax compacts, the Minox 35, the Rollei 35s, etc. (It is actually an E-P1 with OVF and 17mm lens done a little better.) This camera is really nothing new but simply bring back what used to be a great concept--a simple, elegant camera with high image quality. The fixed focal length does not put me off.
+1

It really is the FF cousin to the X2, with a few more features thrown in (primarily the video). Wish it had the same control layout as the X2 but that's no biggie, really, as the A mode and direct access EV compensation is also good. It'll be a little more like using the GXR and a little less like using the X2 in that respect. Both are fine. I don't really need the video but as long as they didn't make the menus and such too complicated it won't get in the way.

The bigger question is whether it will actually improve upon the X2's performance in any significant way. I'm sure the lens is wonderful (so is the X2 lens), I'm sure the sensor is wonderful (so is the X2 sensor)—so it becomed "Will 50% more pixels and (theoretically) 2-3 stops more sensitivity net a practical advantage worth the additional $1000?"

I love this type of camera, however: I've decided that I'll most likely have to give it a try. I'll wait a while and see if I have the spare sheckles around after Lightroom can process RX1 raw files.

Godfrey

A leaf shutter is good. Beside being quiet would allow for very high flash sync shutter speeds. However, with the EVF port and the flash shoe in one place, it is half baked at best.
Same issue with all the current "optional EVF" cameras. That said, I've yet to use flash with the X2 other than for testing purposes. Seems that when I use flash, I tend to pull out the GXR and use the LCD or I use the E-1 and its viewfinder.

philber

My pre-order in in! This, on paper, promises to blow anything its size out of existence, IQ-wise. 35mm happens to be my preferred focal length, and I love Zeiss glass. I would have loved a ilt LCD and integrated VF, but there is no alternative, so what is th epoint of whining? Now let's hope that Sony delivers on the promise...

monza

I was crossing fingers this would be a lower price, but to put things in perspective:

The 35/2 Zeiss ZE or ZF is $1117 (so ~$1700 for the 'body'.) The 35/2 Summicron is $3195 -- just for the lens...and neither have AF.

Lastly, with 24mp there is plenty of resolution for cropping to 50mm focal length equivalent :)

So for shooters that primarily use 35 or 50, this is quite viable and not really that pricey. The cheapest full frame option with a Zeiss 35 is the D600 ($3200+) and you don't get AF with that...

Quentin_Bargate

I was crossing fingers this would be a lower price, but to put things in perspective:

The 35/2 Zeiss ZE or ZF is $1117 (so ~$1700 for the 'body'.) The 35/2 Summicron is $3195 -- just for the lens...and neither have AF.

Lastly, with 24mp there is plenty of resolution for cropping to 50mm focal length equivalent :)

So for shooters that primarily use 35 or 50, this is quite viable and not really that pricey. The cheapest full frame option with a Zeiss 35 is the D600 ($3200+) and you don't get AF with that...
I'd still want to see a comparison with the Sigma DP2 Merrill. I know I have gone on about how good the DP2M is on another thread, but it really is shockingly, mind alteringly good - at Low ISO. Love the look of the Sony, but the lens and overal performance are going to have to be something else to justify the price. Probably will have stellar high ISO performance, which would be a bonus. Odd camera though for that money. and as for the lens - well Sigma have produced a belter on the DP2 Merril, just because it has Zeiss in the name does not necessarily mean the RX1 lens will be any better.

V

Vivek

Now try the same in a different perspective:

VG900, offers AF, an EVF, a swivel LCD, plenty of other video goods...it even comes with a free adapter!

Shashin

A Holga is lighter, cheaper, and makes medium-format images...

I guess we can cut this pie into all kinds of shapes. It simply comes down to whether it has value for you. There is nothing objective about camera choice.

BackToSlr

Indeed, and don't forget ultra quiet leaf shutter 1/2000 flash sync.

N

douglasf13

Little harder to put in a jacket, but you are right on that.

N
Yep, and that's kinda the point of the RX1, no? If you throw size out the window, there's not much reason to buy the RX1 over the other options out there. It is the small size that is unique, in the FF world.

iiiNelson

Yes but in fairness to the D600 you have the option of choosing many lenses and you get a VF. Once you add the EVF then they're roughly the same price without the versatility.

Yes but in fairness to the D600 you have the option of choosing many lenses and you get a VF. Once you add the EVF then they're roughly the same price without the versatility.
And you still have a manual focus lens with an optical viewfinder - this doesn't work for my poor eyesight.

Shashin

I slip my E-P1 with the Panasonic 20mm + UV Filter + lens cap in my coat pocket all the time. I did some measuring and the RX1 is actually smaller, although the depth with the lens is exactly the same as my E-P1 with my 20mm with the cap and filter. I also put my E-P1 in my coat pocket with the Olympus VF-1 optical finder attached.

The RX1 is a small camera.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
And you still have a manual focus lens with an optical viewfinder - this doesn't work for my poor eyesight.
The extra bonus with the RX1 is that in sharp sunlight, at an angle, you probably won't be able to figure out what's on the LCD even with the eyesight of an eagle. A very democratic camera in that respect :ROTFL:

I was out taking photos with the OM-3 and Zuiko 35mm f/2.0 yesterday. High ISO sucks and I'll never reach grainless 24MP unless I start using Adox CMS 20, but I can shoot another 700 rolls before I reach $2,800 and the fun of catching the moment is equally great :p

just4fun

will the Leica 35mm external viewfinder work? can we turn off LCD? isn't we need optical vf only for perspective?
I guess it's too soon to know since no one have it yet
if so, I can use mine without buying one.'
and I did preorder one at Amazon :)
Sonny