The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

philber

One has to be careful before reading too much into this, because Zeiss MTF charts are actual (from measurements), whereas the ones Sony publishes are computed, like Canon's and Nikon's. And, guess what? the computed ones look better. So it remains to be seen whether the Zeiss MTF for this lens emanates from Zeiss and is actually measured, or from Sony and is computed. But, if it shows that the new lens supasses the ZM 35 f:2.0, it is very promising indeed

Dan Ortego

That makes sense as the linked article reads 'The Sony Hong Kong RX1 Press Release contains an interesting MTF resolution chart' and there is no reference to the chart on the Zeiss website. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

fotografz

That does not sound like praise.

I am not taking this personally, I am just really confused by the harsh dismissive comments about this camera. I find it a little sad that photographers as a group seem very divisive.
Point taken ...

I think people get a bit picky when there are so many things thrown at them in a short amount of time.

I was interested in this camera because of the leaf shutter lens, until discovering it had no sync port ... which is irritating in an already limited camera this expensive.

I'll tell you one thing, if we don't scrutinize the gear, no one will. The manufacturers sure aren't going to point out any short-comings.

-Marc

V

Vivek

I'll tell you one thing, if we don't scrutinize the gear, no one will. The manufacturers sure aren't going to point out any short-comings.

-Marc
Definitely not the testers on the blogs. :ROTFL:

Half baked is the term! :thumbs:

Dan Ortego

For what it's worth there are some fairly decent and updated samples posted over on DPR and from Steve Huff.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Some getdpi veterans have preordered this Cybershot. We will get to see some real samples soon.

The samples posted thusfar just raise questions as to the effectiveness of this as a camera.

Shashin

All the samples posted have shown this to be a good camera. Certainly no worse than any other camera being manufactured today.

philber

I am disappointed with the samples posted by the 3 bloggers. I thought the Sony samples looked more promising, and, considering the usually low quality of PR samples on pre-produciton cams, expected the independent pics to be better.
Now I will have to wait for RAWs from final products to form an opinion. I have one on pre-order.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

5 Aspheric surfaces in the lens. It would have been far easier if Sony had designed a better sensor (the "largest sensor maker in the world"! :eek:) with offset microlenses or even a fiberoptic faceplate. Both old technologies.

Dan Ortego

Yes, I too was surprised by the level of distortion in the cityscape photo in the Steve Huff sample(s). DxO Pro 7 currently does a great job of handling this so perhaps they will write a routine for the RX1. Aside from that I'm still impressed, so hopefully Sony will tweak things a bit to address this.

Shashin

It would have been far easier if Sony had designed a better sensor (the "largest sensor maker in the world"! :eek:) with offset microlenses or even a fiberoptic faceplate. Both old technologies.
How does that correct for barrel distortion?

Shashin

Yes, I too was surprised by the level of distortion in the cityscape photo in the Steve Huff sample(s). DxO Pro 7 currently does a great job of handling this so perhaps they will write a routine for the RX1. Aside from that I'm still impressed, so hopefully Sony will tweak things a bit to address this.
Like all manufacturers, they will most likely release a lens profile to correct for this. Many lenses exhibit some kind of distortion like the Canon lens in the photoblogger test.

V

Vivek

How does that correct for barrel distortion?
Why would you make up stuff which isn't there? :mad:

As far as I know, you have no interest in buying or using Sony cams. What is your interest here campaigning for a camera that you would never use?

peterv

Guys, guys, I read Shashin's question as an open one, IMO no harm done. I've been closely following the RX1, and like Michiel and Dan, I noticed it too and frankly, it surprised me. With all the buzz going on about this Zeiss being made just right for this camera it makes me doubtful. Software correction is fine and all, but I didn't expect this kind of distortion. CA seems fine, or perhaps they already implemented correction for that in the firmware.

peterv

Hi Vivek, do you think the 5 Aspheric surfaces have some bad influence on the distortion? And do you think the sensor is not as good as we're led to believe? Thanks, Peter

peterv

Just found this about the lens distortion:

Live from the Sony Event..more samples from RX1, NEX-6 and A99! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Steve Huff writes:

NOTE: By default the RX1 has the Lens Distortion Correction turned OFF. My 1st samples showed some distortion due to this. I now have it turned on which eliminates all distortion. Also, these have all been JPEG’s and I expect the quality to get even better when I can process RAW files and have final firmware.

sinwen

Just for info this camera is at 3199.99€ on pre-order at Sony France site while
for Sony USA on pre-order it is $2799.99 .....big difference (14%) for an already very expensive toy.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

adjust for the currency difference on those price examples and the price difference is about ~ 48 % :rolleyes:

at the moment 3200 EUR equals about ~ 4150 USD