The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

Shashin

Why would you make up stuff which isn't there? :mad:

As far as I know, you have no interest in buying or using Sony cams. What is your interest here campaigning for a camera that you would never use?
I thought your comment was related to the previous post about the barrel distortion.

Still, I don't think it is a waste of time making good optics. The image is really produced there. And you can elevate some of the reasons for putting offset micro lenses on the sensor. Actually, how old a technology is is neither here nor there. What matters is the end result. Just putting in technology in a camera because it is new is rather pointless.

This is called a conversation. People can join it and add to it. Just as you seem to like to trash this camera. Actually, you have no idea my intent about this camera--since you did bring up the topic of making things up, I thought I would point this out.

philip_pj

Yeah, the distortion and all those dumb asph elements, what could they possibly be thinking...what dopes. I bet they use this idea, note encoded in RAW:

'It turns out that the RX-100 is not the only camera to do this - other high-end cameras have been doing it for years. Every single Hasselblad H-series body (those with a dedicated digital back) corrects for its 28mm f/4 lens this way, as has Phase One. And that Leica S system? Yup. All the lenses are imperfect and corrected digitally.'

The Friedman Archives Blog: The Most Distortion-Ridden Zeiss Lens Ever (and Why You Won’t Notice It)

Huff says its better than just about anything at high ISO, incl the 5D2. Summicron standard, says Lloyd Chambers, is what he expects. Me too. The pre-release images look georgeous. YMMV, of course.

peterv

I was under the impression that resolution and contrast degrade when pixels are moved around by software. I wonder what the measured MTF's would look like and how bad for the final IQ the software lens correction really is?

V

Vivek

Despite having had exclusive access (of some of the 11 existing samples), there is a healthy dose of criticism on what the RX1 does not offer:

EXCLUSIVE Sony RX1 1st look with accessories, video and image samples! - YouTube
(He did not use the pop up flash in the camera. I am yet to see anyone having used the pop up or how one can use the expensive EVF and an external microphone while video shooting.)

There is absolutely no point in comparing Leica Summicrons to the Zeiss 35/2 fused to the Sony sensor in the RX-1.

Dan Ortego

Hi Vivek,
Thanks for the video link although Steve was apparently mistaken with the USA price for the EVF. It's currently listed on the SonyStyle Store at $449 whereas the OVF is listed at $599. Sure, they're both pricy but still. I was disappointed the 'Thumbs Up' grip isn't hot for use with the EVF but maybe that will come later.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I am not sure about the VF prices, Dan. But, that (and the price of the RX-1) is a moot point given the limitations of the camera itself.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This was a camera I wanted to see at Photo Plus and I learned a few things that might be useful . I ve found that "feel "is very important to me in the cameras I enjoy . I use the various test sites and ultimately my own tests to evaluate IQ and usability in the field . But if it doesn t feel right and the viewing isn t natural I ve learned to move on . So I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this camera .

The RX1 has all the build quality I expected and the feel is extraordinary . The display camera came with the Zeiss 35mm optical finder and the thumbs up . It had the look and feel of a slightly smaller M body . The Zeiss OVF was brilliant . This is a camera I would want to carry .

For street shooting I ve often gone to preseting the lens to a specific distance .. F8 and 8 ft works very well in good light . What I would miss with the the RX1 is some indication of approximate distance . On a Fuji x100 I would use the AF on the rear button and pick a spot to establish focus . I remember on the Leica X1 that the AF green dot was visible reflected into the OVF . Not perfect but adequate for street and most travel . When using the RX1 with the OVF ..you have no indication of focus confirmation . Ops ?

I asked about how you would use the OVF without FC ....the answer was telling. "We hope to have that in the RX2" .

Shashin

Roger, not really knowing the camera that well, I expect I can do those the same way I do it with an e-p1. To set a distance, simply have the AF put on the control or function button and use an object in the scene to set the distance while the camera is MF. Then simply shoot away. As far as using an OVF, with a center AF point set, it is easy to judge the center of the frame in the finder. I would expect the AF accuracy to be better in the RX1, but the ep1 AF is fine for that already.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I look forward to the rx2 with a built in EVF.
:thumbup:

... and interchangeable lenses, right ?

That would make it look like the up to date and full featured, high-end mirrorless system of tomorrow.

jonoslack

:thumbup:

... and interchangeable lenses, right ?

That would make it look like the up to date and full featured, high-end mirrorless system of tomorrow.
Just like a Leica M . . . but slightly smaller. . . . and with AF . . . .

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

exactly, Jono, that would be a game changer :thumbup:

and both Leica and Sony are strong contenders in getting there first if they want, because they are so close already

jonoslack

and both Leica and Sony are strong contenders in getting there first if they want, because they are so close already
Well - I really can't see Leica developing a range of full frame AF lenses anytime soon - they can't make enough of the M lenses as it is. Added to which it would simply be making competition for the M.
Judging by the speed Sony have managed to introduce lenses for the E system and the A system they might find it a problem as well.

If you need AF on such a full frame interchangeable lens camera, then I think you might have a long wait on your hands. If you don't, then I think the camera will be shipping in January - with the ability to use literally thousands of excellent lenses from Leica and Zeiss and Olympus and Pentax. Fixed focal length and zooms . . . . just no AF!

all the best

V

Vivek

..and might make it to the Time list of best 50 "innovations" in 2013. :ROTFL:

I am frankly sick of SOny introducting half baked products and then slightly better baked products following them in a short time.

The NEX-7 will be replaced in early 2013, according to rumors.

If sony do not release any lenses of the current caliber, I would be happy too.