The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

V

Vivek

Sony are an electronics/entertaintment conglomerate.

I am still witing to see samples that used the built in pop up flash.

Shashin

And I thought the Sony Nex 6, a99, and RX1 were cameras...

Sony Japan has a gallery where at least one image uses the flash as fill. The link is above.

V

Vivek

The Rx100 is oneof the 50 "inventions" of the year. Perhaps time will issue a special december issue to claim the Rx1 as one too. :D

sinwen

I see this camera as a street/nature shooter, so the pros are:
Fix lens > perfect match lens/sensor
> no dust on the sensor
> a 35mm is a great standard and F2 is enough for me
Sensor size IQ
Extremely compact
Built quality > see Steve Huff test 1
Operation friendly > again see S.Huff
EVF NOT in body > an advantage for me as far as the back screen is excellent and it seems to be the case, but also because the external EVF can give different angles, very useful if you shot near the ground for example.
Focal trick > 35mm/50mm/75mm even if just in camera crops, it seems to work just fine, you may want a wide attachment to get to 20 or 24mm

At first sight the problem is the price tag, so wait a year or so.

Brian Mosley

I wish someone would send one to Jono to test in China :watch:... Steve Huff's advert was a bit uninspiring :chug: I suspect he's getting punch drunk from all the kit he's getting through :D

Anyhoo, my pre-order is placed... should get a chance to try it in person sometime before Christmas. :D

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

You can do better, Brian, only if you would compare it with the EM-5 and the MM.

Brian Mosley

You can do better, Brian, only if you would compare it with the EM-5 and the MM.
I think you could do much better than that Vivek :)

I have a feeling the RX2 will not be far behind, with an evf in place of that pop up thingie... Still, it's a remarkable feat - rather like an E-P1 with a FF sensor and first rate 35mm lens.

Can't wait to see whether it feels like £2.5K build quality.

Cheers

Brian

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
As long as it does not come with an integrated EVF it is a no go for me - especially for that price.

I also think that Sony is just testing the market for a future RXyz with interchangeable lenses. That would be a great system offering Zeiss / Sony IQ, AF and some selected lenses for this FF system - could become a real competitor to Leica M if Sony plays it right. At least they have all the assets WRT sensor know how, modern camera design, EVF and CZ lenses. So if this system would be some 30-40% cheaper as an equivalent from Leica, it should fly!

bcm

There is a lot of talk about how they've partially buried the 35mm lens in the body to keep the size of the package down. Is there a physical reason that you couldn't create a "mount" that did the same thing? ie rather than having the mount flush with the front of the body, have it sunk into the body?

V

Vivek

The AA filter stack adds some thickness to the sensor and they do not have room for an electro-mechanical shutter. The ones employed in NEX' are not all that great. If they make a bigger version of those it would be louder than an old SLR camera shutter with the mirror slap.

Shashin

Well, I for one am glad they did not waste the space to put a built-in EVF in the camera. And I am really fine with a fixed lens. It is a brilliant camera.

Brian Mosley

As a happy X100 owner, I'm fine with a fixed lens, but I'll reserve judgement on whether it's a brilliant camera until I've tried it for myself :)

Cheers

Brian