The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Mea culpa...it was Shtarka1.

Here:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/479296-post410.html

Your landscapes and Newfounland pics have been wonderful...I have just been running through these two threads on the RX-1 after spending an hour with the camera. Have not sorted all the posts out in my mind.

Looking for reasons to or not to buy it...it is much better than the majority of reviews would lead one to believe.

Bob

Shashin

Looking for reasons to or not to buy it...it is much better than the majority of reviews would lead one to believe.

Bob
Do you need it? I bought it for my second/backup camera to a Pentax 645D. I wanted something small and inconspicuous that was going to give an image quality that would not look out of place next to a 645D file. The Pentax has the interchangeable lenses and I had nothing for it with a 35mm equivalent FoV. So far the pairing has worked out swimmingly.

Now, if it is just a lust thing, I have no help to give. The cure and the disease are one and the same...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Depends...

I have and love the DP2M which works for good light...the RX-1 would allow a bit more latitude in shooting...I think.

And SPP really needs some competition.

Bob

V

Vivek

I am not aware of any dedicated RX-1 hood with bayonet mount from any 3rd party.

However, compared to the original hood, the 49mm metal hood at <1/20th price is a no-brainer.

lowep

Seriously it is really nice and we have to give it credit for what it is but it's also a danger as one would become to narrow minded in a visual way. After awhle it will only make YOU see in that FOV and honestly I think that can be very limiting to your art. Let's face it the world is not only one focal length and even our own eyes can focus in and focus out on subject matter. This can't do that it is what it is unless you got some happy feet going on. This goes with any fixed lens out there. Just thinking about it makes me somewhat nervous. Not sure I could actually not shoot well without at least 3 focal lengths to work with. It's lovely though and nice and small. My bet the quality is very good too. I think after awhile the issue is many will get bored with it.
alternative is to spend more time at home thinking about which lens to buy than which picture to make, and more time in the field thinking about which lens to select and looking for it in bag than paying attention (not money) to what is going on around you and when to press the button... maybe this can also be very limiting to your art?

V

Vivek

alternative is to spend more time at home thinking about which lens to buy than which picture to make, and more time in the field thinking about which lens to select and looking for it in bag than paying attention (not money) to what is going on around you and when to press the button... maybe this can also be very limiting to your art?
I guess you have not seen the Sony spread of accessories to go with the Rx1. :ROTFL:

douglasf13

I am not aware of any dedicated RX-1 hood with bayonet mount from any 3rd party.

However, compared to the original hood, the 49mm metal hood at <1/20th price is a no-brainer.
For anyone interested, Fotodiox makes a pretty cool rectangle hood that attaches to the RX1 via bayonet, and it's around $50 on Amazon. I should mention that a friend bought one and said the finish looks a little bad, but the one I received looks fine.

jlm

Workshop Member
I've been asked to make a compact grip for the RX1 (similar to those I currently make for the sigma, fuji and OMD).

any interest? typical features could be:

simple base leaves battery accessible with grip (1/4" tripod hole centered on lens)
could also have:
arca-style grooves on base;
a combo version which adds an L-plate (with 1/4" tripod hole and arca-style grooves)

target price for basic $120 (no arca grooves)

Jonas

I've been asked to make a compact grip for the RX1 (similar to those I currently make for the sigma, fuji and OMD).

any interest? (...)
Darn. I wish you had materialized this idea earlier. This time I had to buy the RRS grip (I bought the complete setup including the L part).
It works well but the grip part is too slippery. I liked your laser threatened E-M5 grip providing a better...grip. As it is I have applied some friction tape to the RRS grip part. A detail with the RRS grip which your E-M5 grip didn't offer is that you can open the port door on the left of the camera without taking the L part of the grip. Not everybody needs it but it when needed, well...

Good luck with the design!

V

Vivek

simple base leaves battery accessible with grip (1/4" tripod hole centered on lens)
could also have:
a combo version which adds an L-plate (with 1/4" tripod hole and arca-style grooves)

Wait for the variation that is rumored to appear in a few months.

could also have:

Hi Jim,

Absolutely (I reviewed your Fuji plate for Robert over on the Fuji X forum btw - still have it on my X-Pro).

What I would like to see is a grip the extends the length of the camera (on the grip side) to make room for your fingers and improve the hold comfort. Not sure how you could do that and still have access to the lug.

Chad

M

mjr

Hi

I have the RRS grip and love it, it gives so much more freedom, allowing a hand strap for security but just carrying it by fingertips, I think it adds brilliantly to the overall form. I'd be interested to hear how you are looking to improve over the RRS version.

Mat

V

Vivek

Quite possible but there is NO guarantee that a Gariz case will still fit it though.

Last edited: