The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A99 Field Test Video

emr

Here's my field test video for the A99. I also take a quick look at the VG900 camcorder (which will work as a 24MP full frame mirrorless still camera as well).
An interesting video again, thanks! And what a camera! Did you try shooting any objects that caused those nasty mirror reflection in first gen SLTs, like bright light spots against a dark background?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well I do know I have said that before about different cameras of different brands (including Sony) - BUT I have to say this once more:

The A99 is getting more and more of my interest!

Not sure what will happen ....

Peter

TCSJordan

An interesting video again, thanks! And what a camera! Did you try shooting any objects that caused those nasty mirror reflection in first gen SLTs, like bright light spots against a dark background?
I didn't get a chance to go out looking for that particular issue, we were on a pretty tight shooting schedule. I didn't see the effect in any of our stills and video at the motocross track though, so that bodes well.

jfirneno

Jordan:

It looks like most of your shooting was in daylight conditions, but did you get a sense if the low light high ISO was significantly better (lower noise) than the A900?

Regards,
John

TCSJordan

Jordan:

It looks like most of your shooting was in daylight conditions, but did you get a sense if the low light high ISO was significantly better (lower noise) than the A900?

Regards,
John
I did shoot a few JPEGs indoors, but the noise reduction menu option was unavailable. The image quality looked similar to the 5D MK III, with a slight reduction in detail but very little noise. I'd hesitate to make any definitive statements as the JPEG processing was still beta and there is no software for processing RAW files yet.

jfirneno

I did shoot a few JPEGs indoors, but the noise reduction menu option was unavailable. The image quality looked similar to the 5D MK III, with a slight reduction in detail but very little noise. I'd hesitate to make any definitive statements as the JPEG processing was still beta and there is no software for processing RAW files yet.
Thanks Jordan, that's actually helpful. It seems to jibe with what I've seen in the files that have been posted on line.

Regards,
John

V

Vivek

The most interesting thing is the FF VG900 and the potential possibility to use M mount lenses (among others). I did not see any examples from such a combo and if a FF 24mp still can be snapped using such lenses.

Thanks Jordan. That was a good field test video.

I think Sony needs to have someone do a video of a parent shooting their kid's soccer game with AF range locked in, nailing AF tracking.

Soccer moms and Dads would rejoice. Cameras would be sold...

TCSJordan

The most interesting thing is the FF VG900 and the potential possibility to use M mount lenses (among others). I did not see any examples from such a combo and if a FF 24mp still can be snapped using such lenses.
I was unable to use a Leica adaptor, however I did mount some Nikon glass on with a Novoflex adaptor, and the camera snapped full 24MP images. We planned to show that ability in the video, but forgot the Nikon adaptor in the lighting bag:mad:

V

Vivek

I was unable to use a Leica adaptor, however I did mount some Nikon glass on with a Novoflex adaptor, and the camera snapped full 24MP images. We planned to show that ability in the video, but forgot the Nikon adaptor in the lighting bag:mad:
Thanks. I look forward to any (FF) image samples taken with non DSLR lenses.

TCSJordan

what happens if you put an E-mount lens on the vg900, like the 24mm Zeiss?
It shoots full 1080P video, or captures a 16MP still. I'm not sure how it is doing this, as the D3X only captured a 10MP image with a 24MP chip. It must be upressing the image or something.

It shoots full 1080P video, or captures a 16MP still. I'm not sure how it is doing this, as the D3X only captured a 10MP image with a 24MP chip. It must be upressing the image or something.
Thanks for the reply.

My question was about the e-mount 24mm Zeiss which was designed for APS-C and using it on the full frame sensor.

Lonnie Utah

You guys were awfully (too) harsh on the minolta hot shoe. It's superior to a "regular" iso hotshoe in many ways (like the ability to take the flash off the camera with one hand). Ever had an iso flash fall off a camera mount because you didn't get it tight enough? I have.

The only reason most people, like yourself, dis it is because you have to jump thru one extra hoop to use things like pocket wizards.

Personally, I'm sad to see it go.