The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-5R VS NEX-6

philber

John, my answer to your question is not exactly what you might expect. Since my first NEX 5, I took to shooting mostly from the waist, with the LCD turned up. This feels much better (for me at least) than shooting at arms' length, and also gives me a more stable base, if shutter speeds are to be believed. For this type of shooting, I used the touch screen all the time for magnification.
Now that I have a 7, I shoot with the viewfinder a lot more, where basically a touchscreen would be much less useful if at all. At first I mourned the loss of it, and now no longer. I guess it is because actually the 5N (and thus the 5R) and the 7 are actually much more different ergonomically than I thought.
I would recommend your trying both before plunking down your hard earned...

iiiNelson

I have a very biiiig thumb, pressed video button on NEX5 NEVER accidently, on NEX7 only 3x during first 2 weeks. You should learn to handle your camera :))))
I handle the camera very well dude. I have large hands myself (I could palm a basketball since I was 11.) It's common enough issue that it has fixes all over the internet... and again I never have the issue with the A77 or the M9 of course.

iiiNelson

NEX5 = toy (no viewer)
NEX6 = good camera
NEX7 = verrrry good camera
Kind of comes off as condescending for NEX-5 owners and potential owners. It's understandable that it doesn't work for you. That's cool - leave it at that. They're all photographic tools. I've taken very nice pictures with the NEX-5 and plan to upgrade it with a NEX-6 but I wouldn't classify it as a "toy."

The NEX-7 was a "no go" for me as I only use the NEX as a smaller "digital back" for my M-mount lenses (I also use it to get extra distance on my 50 and 90mm lenses for that 75 or 135mm effect.) In that regard the NEX-5 series works better for wide angle lenses since it has micro lenses for the sensor. Which is "better" is dependent on the users preferences and application for the camera. Just a matter of knowing your equipment and using it for your purposes.

V

Vivek

Kind of comes off as condescending for NEX-5 owners and potential owners. It's understandable that it doesn't work for you. That's cool - leave it at that. They're all photographic tools. I've taken very nice pictures with the NEX-5 and plan to upgrade it with a NEX-6 but I wouldn't classify it as a "toy."
Sarcasm and not "condescension". Hot still holds on to his 5 unlike me who traded it for an iPad. The iPad turned out be much more useful.;)

V

Vivek

Different tools for different purposes (YMMV). The 200 Euro (bought new) C3 is a champ for that purpose. Now, after a small modification, it is even more versatile and does UV to IR.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
mod. NEX-C3, kitzoom, 720nm filter

I look forward to getting a 6 to use for UV-Vis-IR photography.

V

Vivek

The GH-3 is a lot more camera (not only size wise) than the NEX-6 ever can be.

Way too many features are packed in there (GH-3).

hot

Features eeeeeverybody needs? Especially people making photos like with HKC (HelloKit...) ;-)

Tell me some of these gorgeous features! I cannot find them.

When first elctr.calculators came to market, a study found, that engineers use 5-7% of features of HP35. Same is today for "super" cameras.

"Ouuuuhhh, there is a sin/cos/tan button! How charming!"

V

Vivek

Do you know of Clarks tables? A scientific calculator was really faster.

limbonaut

The GH-3 is a lot more camera (not only size wise) than the NEX-6 ever can be.

Way too many features are packed in there (GH-3).
One of these cameras arguably will have better image quality, faster focusing, better viewfinder, OEM wireless flash and is smaller and lighter than the other. That ticks many of the boxes photographers find important. Putting video quality aside, what does the GH-3 offer that you can't get (or better) in a good premium DSLR like the D7000 or K-5? Making the GH-3 so big negates many of the advantages of mirror less cameras.

Just my 2 cents.

V

Vivek

Just a single aspect is enough- the swivel LCD- that puts the GH-3 over the two DSLRs you mention. Incredibly versatile.

limbonaut

Just a single aspect is enough- the swivel LCD- that puts the GH-3 over the two DSLRs you mention. Incredibly versatile.
True, but then with the 2 DSLR's you get phase detect focus, legacy glass wider and cheaper lens selection and again oem wireless flash.

I respect your opinion, but I for one don't see the need for a gh-3 unless it's smaller than its dslr counterparts. To be fair it's also the reason why I don't get the a77 or a99. One of the promises of slt (and apsc) was a smaller body compared to competitors,, but we didn't get that.

V

Vivek

True, but then with the 2 DSLR's you get phase detect focus, legacy glass wider and cheaper lens selection and again oem wireless flash.
All those (barring PDAF*) you get with the GH-3 and more. You may not appreciate high er quality (albeit pricey) and small, light weight lenses. Well, in that case, clearly, this is not the system to get in to.

The ability to throw any lens there is to use in manual focus mode can never be matched by any of those SLRs/SLTs.

If you are into shooting in the invisible region (IR and UV), nothing beats a liveview cam. (modified) Panasonic m4/3rds excel in this.

* Try PDAF with screw focus lenses on a Nikon cam. Neither accurate nor fast.