Site Sponsors

Thread: NEX-5R VS NEX-6

Post Thanks / Like

NEX-5R VS NEX-6

So, both the 5R and the 6 look like very worthy successors to my NEX-5N. I'd say that the 6 looks like the better package (because of the built in EVF) except for one thing, loss of the touch screen capability. Believe it or not, I've really grown attached to picking a focus point by touching it. Those who who have owned NEX cameras both with and without touch-screen, can you tell me whether I am really going to miss this feature.

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: NEX-5R VS NEX-6

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    So, both the 5R and the 6 look like very worthy successors to my NEX-5N. I'd say that the 6 looks like the better package (because of the built in EVF) except for one thing, loss of the touch screen capability. Believe it or not, I've really grown attached to picking a focus point by touching it. Those who who have owned NEX cameras both with and without touch-screen, can you tell me whether I am really going to miss this feature.

Thanks,
    John
    I missed it at first, moving from the 5N to 7, but, since I find myself using the EVF more with the 7, it's become less of an issue. The way I have the camera setup, I rarely go into menus, so missing the touch feature in that regard is no big deal. As far as shooting, it was nice to use touch zoom with manual lenses, but, again, I'm mostly using the EVF these days, so no biggie. I'd certainly like a touchscreen option, though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a 5N and have turned the touch option off. Compared to the Panasonic GH-2, the 5N offers very little with touch.

The only reason I could see for an "upgrade" is the faster auto focus available in 5R/6.

If I were you, I would go with the 6 for all the things it offers which are absent in in the 5s.

Post Thanks / Like

I also think NEX6 is better ("a camera without viewer is a toy"). I NEVER used touchscreen with G3 or G2, but of course with TX7, TX9, TX100 ... hehehe, they have no buttons! TXxx are good cameras, but they are silly like smartphones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honestly, I don't know how camera manufacturers can craft a camera that keeps a majority of buyers happy these days - EVF vs. OVF vs. RF vs. No VF , Touch me, DON'T Touch me, APS-C vs FF vs m4/3 vs 1", Tilt LCD vs. fixed, interchangeable vs. fixed, etc., etc.

And unfortunately a percentage of owners feel the need to convince everyone else, that their preferences are idiotic.

On the upside, if you really know what you like, there is probably a camera out there for you today. Yet somehow I still feel like that perfect package of features alludes me.

back to the subject - 5R all the way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does 5R LCD has the extra white pixel tech like RX100? If it does, then maybe it's not so bad. Harsh sun rendered the NEX5 unusable when I had it. Then I upgraded to 5N, but found the EVF made the camera awkward to put in the bag. So my vote will go to the NEX6.

On the topic of touch screen, when it also trigger the shutter, I found it very handy on the OMD when taking macro shots.

I will skip this generation from Sony, and hope that RX1 gives them enough of a signal to produce an interchangeable FF mirrorless for next year. If they can somehow figure out how to house it in the NEX6 body and incorporate a flipping touchscreen, all the better!
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

NEX-6 because I don't need the 24MP of the NEX-7 but I would like a built in EVF/OVF in the camera. Either is a good camera - I think the NEX-6 has fewer flaws FOR ME.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

I say 5R if you are heavily into Autofocus lens, and keep the same accessories you may have for the 5n.

The nex 6 in my view looks like a poor mans nex 7. It almosts looks like they got a nex7, ripped out the inside and put in a nex 5n inside, leaving of course the built in flash and EVF. Since they are both similar size nex 6 and nex7, nex7 would be the way to go. if you like that formfactor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for interesting feedback. I went home last night and dug out my 5N manual. So if I set focus point to flexible then I can use the arrow controllers to move the focus point. Not as fast and easy as the touch method but well enough. So I think I'll go with the NEX-6 (if the AF and low light High ISO can beat out my 5N). The real deciding point has been how annoying the 5N add-on EVF is whenever I catch it on something while walking around with the camera. For me this almost negates the smaller size of the NEX-5N vs my A-850. Silly I know, but true. The big bulky DSLR seems less obtrusive than the NEX. Subjective experience equals reality.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

I never would buy an additional viewer - it makes camera big and expensive. For same price you get a camera with viewer. Additional viewer is crap ... even when 360 rotable ... or 420 ...

Post Thanks / Like

hot would love to see a viewfinder do 420, hehehe

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have a bare "5", so won't miss the touch screen if I would upgrade to the "6" and that way get the built in viewfinder as compared to the external one., which for me would be the biggest attraction of an upgrade.

But before making the plunge I first want to see the WA corner performance, and see if it's similar to the 5N. When that is confirmed the GAS can start

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody uses other features of his camera. It is bad, if 3 (out of 2.345 users) each week (in other forums) cry for video button, touchscreen, fewer pixels, more pixels, more lenses ...

WHY they don't buy another excellent, troubleless, .. camera, if their (NEX)camera is soooo bad?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    Everybody uses other features of his camera. It is bad, if 3 (out of 2.345 users) each week (in other forums) cry for video button, touchscreen, fewer pixels, more pixels, more lenses ...

WHY they don't buy another excellent, troubleless, .. camera, if their (NEX)camera is soooo bad?
    Why don't you ask yourself this?: Why do Sony keep making new NEX' every few months?

Post Thanks / Like

They can make ONE new camera EACH day (or each half day) - youuuuu must not buy them! It's so simple!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If we don't buy them who will? Whom do you think they make these versions and why do they move the wretched video button (btw, that change appears irreversible)?

Post Thanks / Like

Other manufacturers placed video button from backside to top - or viceversa. BACKSIDE even the biggest $%&$ didn't touch it accidently. It's a design feature ;-)

Look

LUMIX G2 - top
    LUMIX G3 - back !

I ask myself HOW in January (NEX7 = new) I accidently could 3x touch video button. Since January NEVER! It's no trick, it's "brainwork", hehe ! Once "learned", never forgotten. It's like riding a bike or dancing waltz :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Other manufacturers placed video button from backside to top - or viceversa. BACKSIDE even the biggest $%&$ didn't touch it accidently. It's a design feature ;-)

Look

LUMIX G2 - top
    LUMIX G3 - back !

I ask myself HOW in January (NEX7 = new) I accidently could 3x touch video button. Since January NEVER! It's no trick, it's "brainwork", hehe ! Once "learned", never forgotten. It's like riding a bike or dancing waltz :-)
    It's not the fact it's on the back... It's where on the back sony puts the video button. One the G3 it's not in a place where the thumb will normally be. On the NEX-5 at least it's close to the corner and my large hands have accidently pressed it numerous times in the 2 years I've had it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a very biiiig thumb, pressed video button on NEX5 NEVER accidently, on NEX7 only 3x during first 2 weeks. You should learn to handle your camera :-))))

Post Thanks / Like

go nex 5 hot, heheh. I love my 5n too

Post Thanks / Like

NEX5 = toy (no viewer)
    NEX6 = good camera
    NEX7 = verrrry good camera

Post Thanks / Like

John, my answer to your question is not exactly what you might expect. Since my first NEX 5, I took to shooting mostly from the waist, with the LCD turned up. This feels much better (for me at least) than shooting at arms' length, and also gives me a more stable base, if shutter speeds are to be believed. For this type of shooting, I used the touch screen all the time for magnification.
    Now that I have a 7, I shoot with the viewfinder a lot more, where basically a touchscreen would be much less useful if at all. At first I mourned the loss of it, and now no longer. I guess it is because actually the 5N (and thus the 5R) and the 7 are actually much more different ergonomically than I thought.
    I would recommend your trying both before plunking down your hard earned...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a very biiiig thumb, pressed video button on NEX5 NEVER accidently, on NEX7 only 3x during first 2 weeks. You should learn to handle your camera :-))))
    I handle the camera very well dude. I have large hands myself (I could palm a basketball since I was 11.) It's common enough issue that it has fixes all over the internet... and again I never have the issue with the A77 or the M9 of course.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

NEX5 = toy (no viewer)
    NEX6 = good camera
    NEX7 = verrrry good camera
    Kind of comes off as condescending for NEX-5 owners and potential owners. It's understandable that it doesn't work for you. That's cool - leave it at that. They're all photographic tools. I've taken very nice pictures with the NEX-5 and plan to upgrade it with a NEX-6 but I wouldn't classify it as a "toy."

The NEX-7 was a "no go" for me as I only use the NEX as a smaller "digital back" for my M-mount lenses (I also use it to get extra distance on my 50 and 90mm lenses for that 75 or 135mm effect.) In that regard the NEX-5 series works better for wide angle lenses since it has micro lenses for the sensor. Which is "better" is dependent on the users preferences and application for the camera. Just a matter of knowing your equipment and using it for your purposes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Kind of comes off as condescending for NEX-5 owners and potential owners. It's understandable that it doesn't work for you. That's cool - leave it at that. They're all photographic tools. I've taken very nice pictures with the NEX-5 and plan to upgrade it with a NEX-6 but I wouldn't classify it as a "toy."
    Sarcasm and not "condescension". Hot still holds on to his 5 unlike me who traded it for an iPad. The iPad turned out be much more useful.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Sarcasm and not "condescension". Hot still holds on to his 5 unlike me who traded it for an iPad. The iPad turned out be much more useful.
    Vivek, looking forward to your first streetphoto's with your Ipad

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Different tools for different purposes (YMMV). The 200 Euro (bought new) C3 is a champ for that purpose. Now, after a small modification, it is even more versatile and does UV to IR.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    mod. NEX-C3, kitzoom, 720nm filter

I look forward to getting a 6 to use for UV-Vis-IR photography.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

traded it for an iPad. The iPad turned out be much more useful.
    .. iPad .. iPad .. is this not the prayer book of the apple sect?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't belong to any sect.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm ... sony.de, sony.at

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The GH-3 is a lot more camera (not only size wise) than the NEX-6 ever can be.

Way too many features are packed in there (GH-3).

Post Thanks / Like

Features eeeeeverybody needs? Especially people making photos like with HKC (HelloKit...) ;-)

Tell me some of these gorgeous features! I cannot find them.

When first elctr.calculators came to market, a study found, that engineers use 5-7% of features of HP35. Same is today for "super" cameras.

"Ouuuuhhh, there is a sin/cos/tan button! How charming!"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do you know of Clarks tables? A scientific calculator was really faster.

Post Thanks / Like

The GH-3 is a lot more camera (not only size wise) than the NEX-6 ever can be.

Way too many features are packed in there (GH-3).
    One of these cameras arguably will have better image quality, faster focusing, better viewfinder, OEM wireless flash and is smaller and lighter than the other. That ticks many of the boxes photographers find important. Putting video quality aside, what does the GH-3 offer that you can't get (or better) in a good premium DSLR like the D7000 or K-5? Making the GH-3 so big negates many of the advantages of mirror less cameras.

Just my 2 cents.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a single aspect is enough- the swivel LCD- that puts the GH-3 over the two DSLRs you mention. Incredibly versatile.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a single aspect is enough- the swivel LCD- that puts the GH-3 over the two DSLRs you mention. Incredibly versatile.
    True, but then with the 2 DSLR's you get phase detect focus, legacy glass wider and cheaper lens selection and again oem wireless flash.

I respect your opinion, but I for one don't see the need for a gh-3 unless it's smaller than its dslr counterparts. To be fair it's also the reason why I don't get the a77 or a99. One of the promises of slt (and apsc) was a smaller body compared to competitors,, but we didn't get that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by limbonaut View Post
    True, but then with the 2 DSLR's you get phase detect focus, legacy glass wider and cheaper lens selection and again oem wireless flash.
    All those (barring PDAF*) you get with the GH-3 and more. You may not appreciate high er quality (albeit pricey) and small, light weight lenses. Well, in that case, clearly, this is not the system to get in to.

The ability to throw any lens there is to use in manual focus mode can never be matched by any of those SLRs/SLTs.

If you are into shooting in the invisible region (IR and UV), nothing beats a liveview cam. (modified) Panasonic m4/3rds excel in this.

* Try PDAF with screw focus lenses on a Nikon cam. Neither accurate nor fast.