Site Sponsors

Thread: A77 Wide Angle Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

A77 Wide Angle Suggestions?

After dumping my DSLRs and shooting for the past few years with small mirrorless, I've lately been itching for the heft and contours of a bigger camera. So I just bought an A77 and Sony 35 1.8. My first APS-C but very pleased so far.

I've got a bunch of Maxxum lenses that cover 35 to 300, but nothing on the wide end. I'd like a fast-ish wide -- maybe 24 to 28. I favor primes for their size and weight but would consider a zoom.

I know a lot of you own the A77 and I welcome any suggestions. I tried the Sony 16-50 but didn't care much for the ergonomics. I know there are Maxxum 20mm and 16mm. Any other suggestions? Thanks. Appreciate the help.

John
    Last edited by JohnW; 12th October 2012 at 13:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A77 Wide Angle Suggestions?

The Distagon 24/2 ZA is quite nice. Though ergonomically I'm not sure it's different much from the 16-50ZA.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like my (older, but optically identical to the Sony version) 20/2.8, allthough I use it more on FF then APS-C. I don't have the 16/2.8, but you also need to realize it's a fisheye, which is nice sometimes but not always.

I've also heard good things about the Samyang 14 mm, but it's MF and you need a good profile to correct the heavy barrel distortion.

Post Thanks / Like

The best wide angle in my bag for the A77, one that I have selected and used with several other cameras, is the Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 HSM. When I am travelling in cities, it is rarely off the camera, excellent for historic buildings, architecture and wide scenery. Highly recommended from my perspective.

There is an earlier EX model, same 10-20mm but F3.5-4.5 screw drive. You can find these from $300 in mint condition.

Phil

Few example pics.

SLT-A77V, f/4 @ 10 mm, 1/6, ISO 1600, No Flash

SLT-A77V, f/4 @ 10 mm, 1/60, ISO 800, Flash

SLT-A77V, f/8 @ 10 mm, 1/800, ISO 100, No Flash
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent suggestion Matix, I have had the older one as well and used it a lot on my KM 5D and A700. I sold it after I got a 17-35 for my A850 but deep in my heart I'm still regretting that a bit (but you can't keep holding on to every lens)

Here's two examples from me with that lens:

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The 10-20 is not something I'd considered--I've never gone that wide. But maybe that's a good reason to give it a try. Appreciate the suggestion.

John