The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A77 Wide Angle Suggestions?

J

JohnW

After dumping my DSLRs and shooting for the past few years with small mirrorless, I've lately been itching for the heft and contours of a bigger camera. So I just bought an A77 and Sony 35 1.8. My first APS-C but very pleased so far.

I've got a bunch of Maxxum lenses that cover 35 to 300, but nothing on the wide end. I'd like a fast-ish wide -- maybe 24 to 28. I favor primes for their size and weight but would consider a zoom.

I know a lot of you own the A77 and I welcome any suggestions. I tried the Sony 16-50 but didn't care much for the ergonomics. I know there are Maxxum 20mm and 16mm. Any other suggestions? Thanks. Appreciate the help.

John

Last edited:

pegelli

I really like my (older, but optically identical to the Sony version) 20/2.8, allthough I use it more on FF then APS-C. I don't have the 16/2.8, but you also need to realize it's a fisheye, which is nice sometimes but not always.

I've also heard good things about the Samyang 14 mm, but it's MF and you need a good profile to correct the heavy barrel distortion.

Matix

The best wide angle in my bag for the A77, one that I have selected and used with several other cameras, is the Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 HSM. When I am travelling in cities, it is rarely off the camera, excellent for historic buildings, architecture and wide scenery. Highly recommended from my perspective.

There is an earlier EX model, same 10-20mm but F3.5-4.5 screw drive. You can find these from $300 in mint condition.

Phil

Few example pics.

SLT-A77V, f/4 @ 10 mm, 1/6, ISO 1600, No Flash

SLT-A77V, f/4 @ 10 mm, 1/60, ISO 800, Flash

SLT-A77V, f/8 @ 10 mm, 1/800, ISO 100, No Flash

pegelli

Excellent suggestion Matix, I have had the older one as well and used it a lot on my KM 5D and A700. I sold it after I got a 17-35 for my A850 but deep in my heart I'm still regretting that a bit (but you can't keep holding on to every lens)

Here's two examples from me with that lens:

J

JohnW

The 10-20 is not something I'd considered--I've never gone that wide. But maybe that's a good reason to give it a try. Appreciate the suggestion.

John