The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who's first with the A99?

jonoslack

I got an email from Digital Rev today to say they have them in stock.

I'm just waiting for someone to start the 'fun with the A99' thread.

. . . . and trying hard to resist!

etrigan63

Hong Kong

I hear you Jono! I am resisting starting a Fun with NEX-6 thread as well. As far as the cameras are concerned, I am on Monza's list for both.

V

Vivek

Two NEX-6s on order and I should get it as soon as they are available. One shop is already claiming to have the NEX-6 kit in Europe not sure though.

Oh, as for the A99, I will pass and look forward to the NEX hybrid FF (if they get it right with a built in EVF and the whole works and if it isn't half baked).

And you know they ship so damn fast :)

I promised Monza I would buy from him but man, the urge...must not click...

peterv

I'm trying not to give in to my GAS for the A99. I'm sure it's going to be a fine camera, but I think it would be better for me to sit this one out and wait to see what Sony will come up with next. I'd be more interested in a high MP monster for larger prints. For 24 MP the NEX 7 is doing fine.

jonoslack

Where is digital rev?
it's here:

DigitalRev

I've bought several things from them - typically it takes 2 days to get to Europe - no hassle with customs, Decent customer services. Excellent in fact. Although of course you'll be getting an Asian camera, and I don't know what Sony's servicing is like (actually Digital Rev have their own service and drop off in the UK (but I haven't used it) they're good with refunds as well - I have used that.

all the best

V

Vaquf

Well, for people in the US, if they can wait, B&H is shipping A99 on 25th

philber

I am a bit skeptical about European stock of NEX 6. My dealer can't even enter his orders into the Sony system yet, because products codes haven't yet been released for order entry. So deliveries aren't about to happen if orders can't be entered.

m_driscoll

Jono: I thought you sold all of your Sony gear? It's a slippery slope, my friend. ;) :)

Oh, yeah...I ordered an RX1 (no lenses to buy) and a Nex 6. :eek: ;)

Cheers, Matt

jonoslack

Jono: I thought you sold all of your Sony gear? It's a slippery slope, my friend. ;) :)
Well, I seem to have a few lenses left . . . not, unfortunately the 24-70, as I thought they would release a version with a silent motor (maybe they will).

To be honest, I think I'm going to wait this one out - at least for a little while.

I DID sell all my E mount kit, so the NEX 6 is not an option - anyway, I'm really happy with the OMD in that area.

Oh, yeah...I ordered an RX1 (no lenses to buy) and a Nex 6. :eek: ;)

Cheers, Matt
The RX1 is nearly twice the price in the UK (at current exchange rate it's a little over $4000) so that's an easy miss - considerably more than an A99 body!!!!

all the best

Paratom

I wont jump on it since I would want an OVF in a camera body of this size.
If it was the A900 with the sensor of the A99 I might sell my Leica S2 and get the Sony.
I think it is a big mistake they give up OVF. They should have offered at least both options. On a Nex7 the EVF makes perfect sense IMO, but why on the A99?

jonoslack

If it was the A900 with the sensor of the A99 I might sell my Leica S2 and get the Sony.
I think it is a big mistake they give up OVF. They should have offered at least both options. On a Nex7 the EVF makes perfect sense IMO, but why on the A99?
HI Tom
That's what they said on the LULA review . . . I have mixed feelings. It's actually not so much bigger than an A77. . . and a fair amount smaller than the A900

petetsai

I have shots with the a99 on my computer, but they're aren't the most exciting as I was shooting production shots for a Photo Assisting Workshop for the APA/Sony..

We could spend all day arguing the merits for and against the EVF. Some are looking forward to it, others are repelled by it. It is clear that Sony is "all-in" and will move this space forward.

I'm just pleased that the image samples look outstanding. Clearly a significant improvement of the A900 sensor, especially at higher ISOs. And I see no indication of a resolution hit due to the SLT when comparing the test RAW files over at Quesabesde. In fact, they look more detailed to me than the D600 - specifically the cathedral interior shot @ 6400.

As for the EVF, personally, I can live with it and will likely prefer it for certain tasks, maybe not for others...

Paratom

I guess its a matter of taste. I didnt mean to say an OVF is better than EVF, but in my case I feel more connected to the subject.
Other than that I find the A99 looks very solid and a nice. I have no doubts the IQ will be very good.

petetsai

I really liked it for the most part. They got rid of the funky connector to USB, its now mini-usb. the Evf takes a little getting used to, as you pull the camera up to your eye, its pitch black until the sensors detect your face near the body. I found it annoying as I wasn't sure if it was the lens cap or the body delay. Then I'd end up leaving the cap on and waiting longer with it on. I'm sure after a day or 2 I'd get used to this. I also turned off the auto switching where it uses the back screen then toggles to the evf. This seemed to make it switch a little faster.

As to real life use of the evf I think its nice, you get a bright view in varied conditions of your subject that can be a real game changer. Without pulling the camera back and forth you can now focus, zoom in to check focus, shoot, and then review all WITHOUT pulling the camera from your eye. Its a totally new way to shoot but my guess is that for those that transition to this they will greatly appreciate it. I'd equate it to having the quick response of a HUD and controls of an F16. When properly trained and used it will yield faster responses to actions, but you'll have to have the mindset of using it and pressing the right buttons to swap actions. In Low light conditions I would favor it greatly to my D800e in that I can keep the camera to my eye, have a beautiful liveview display that I can quickly zoom into and check critical focus to get the shot. While there might be some high gain noise, I'd take that over a dark optical that I can't zoom in with..

The body is very nice a light, so much so I can see people wanting to switch for that alone, It felt to me to be the lightest full frame DSLR i've ever held. The battery grip is nice, with its lower mounted vertical trigger although I wish it were a cast metal grip but I think all the sony grips are plastic. Feel wise all the Sony pro's I've talked to, that btw have much bigger hands then me, have not minded the slightly smaller body size.

I didn't get to push it as sports body, but I did hear others talking about it favorably in their use of it in San Francisco.

Hope this helps, I'll be at the Sony booth tommorow meeting with them so if there is anything else people have questions about let me know. I'll have access to all the cameras.

Also, just as an FYI, I am mostly a Nikon shooter on the DSLR side, although I own 4 different manufacturers right now. I am heavily invested in the NEX camp however. I just did modifications to an nex-5n for a friend that yielded some very nice images...

NEX-5n A great remote camera for aviation and other use

ecsh

I will wait for some concrete reviews on this. I may also wait for the next one after the first of the year. I have the A77 which i am totally happy with for what i do, and actually prefer the EVF over the OVF that i had in the 900. On thing which had happened quite a bit on my 900, was dirt spots on the viewfinder itself, not on the sensor. What a pain to get that out. Not a problem with the A77 finder. But, as usual, YMMV.
Joe

I didnt mean to say an OVF is better than EVF, but in my case I feel more connected to the subject.
Didn't take it that way at all. OVF probably is better for some shooting environments, no doubt.

I had my A900 and 5N w/evf at an assignment this weekend and it was clear that I preferred the "view" of the OVF but appreciated the function of the EVF - specifically being able to quickly nail manual focus and exposure on an adapted C/Y Zeiss 50mm. When that same lens was on the A900 I had two problems - 1. Due to some faulty metering I was drastically overexposing in Av mode. I would have to chimp each shot and adjust manually which made dealing with changing angles and light conditions problematic. With the EVF, I saw my exposure before tripping the shutter 2. Focus. I have an AF confirm chip on the Zeiss but still missed maybe 25% of focus. Not a problem on the EVF w/peaking.

If you only shoot AF, perhaps some of these issues disappear and optical is ideal.