The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who's first with the A99?

pophoto

I think two very important aspects aside from subjective ones to remember about EVF on a HD camera which shoots both video and stills are that:

1) You can shoot in more lighting conditions and see what you getting exposure wise with an EVF, especially video.

2) You should be able to focus better in low light with an EVF.

Mostly the arguments against, are to do with the connection you have through an OVF, and the lag/speed aspects of an EVF or the playback black-out, just after a shot is taken. Obviously to have a switch like Fuji is beneficial to offer both, but I think there are 'some' people, and not neccessarily here on this forum (safe disclaimer first :p ) who would just treat an EVF as an alternative to an OVF and not realize that there any benefits!

Last edited:

philip_pj

I am waiting for the Aust stock to arrive. The EVF gives you so much more than the OVF of the a900, which partly negates the heavier use of the battery. I am all manual focus and shoot in dark monasteries and alleyways so OVF is simply hit and often (too often) miss. I use a lot of slow and hard to focus lenses like Contax 100-300mm and 100/3.5 - the a77's peaking is just fabulous for these uses, and the real time reactive histo is another big win. You can gauge dof with good lighting in the EVF stopped down.

A preference for OVF is for a moment in time, but a mis-focused or miss on exposure grates every time you review the work. My metering was all over the show with Contax/Leica R lenses, and focus was iffy so I did a lot of reshooting and focus bracketing images..time also counts, I often get just 1-2 hours at a location, so time savings add up.

No mirror slap, flex LCD, light smallish body, top video to grow into over time, dual slots, cheaper SD cards, 200k shutter - these things matter to me. From net images and analysis, the sensor is showing more DR and bright and attractive colours, and excellent separation. Not much loss from SLT.

ISO 3200 shots look very usable, I never liked the a900 much past 800-1000. I am very happy to wait for the short time delay when the display swaps from LCD to EVF, and the instant review is also a boon - I hated the LCD on the a900, in bright light, often needed it just to see the poorly implemented histo. I put a strip of tape right next to the highlight clip point!

Seen this way, the EVF is a great 'means to the end' and final image settings can be dialed in much much faster and more accurately...esp for candid portraits. Reports are that the shutter is a little louder than a77, much better than the rather clanky a900.
I gather the LCD is the new white magic thingy too. Dust also - Friedman says dust settles on the mirror which protects the sensor somewhat, makes sense to me, and no mirror flapping, just the shutter. I figure the mirror acts like a fan on dust, spreading it everywhere in the box.

I started out wanting it for the updated sensor but then I saw it as a scalpel rather than a hammer..even the new grips are better.

My metering was all over the show with Contax/Leica R lenses, and focus was iffy so I did a lot of reshooting and focus bracketing images..
same experience here. What is it about adapted Contax lenses that gives the A900 metering fits?

Those lenses are so damn good so I can't wait to do them justice on the A99.

peterv

I was wondering, when people talk about Contax lenses being adapted to A-Mount, do they mean C/Y, N or 645 Mount?

Dan Ortego

I really liked it for the most part. They got rid of the funky connector to USB, its now mini-usb. the Evf takes a little getting used to, as you pull the camera up to your eye, its pitch black until the sensors detect your face near the body. I found it annoying as I wasn't sure if it was the lens cap or the body delay. Then I'd end up leaving the cap on and waiting longer with it on. I'm sure after a day or 2 I'd get used to this. I also turned off the auto switching where it uses the back screen then toggles to the evf. This seemed to make it switch a little faster.

As to real life use of the evf I think its nice, you get a bright view in varied conditions of your subject that can be a real game changer. Without pulling the camera back and forth you can now focus, zoom in to check focus, shoot, and then review all WITHOUT pulling the camera from your eye. Its a totally new way to shoot but my guess is that for those that transition to this they will greatly appreciate it. I'd equate it to having the quick response of a HUD and controls of an F16. When properly trained and used it will yield faster responses to actions, but you'll have to have the mindset of using it and pressing the right buttons to swap actions. In Low light conditions I would favor it greatly to my D800e in that I can keep the camera to my eye, have a beautiful liveview display that I can quickly zoom into and check critical focus to get the shot. While there might be some high gain noise, I'd take that over a dark optical that I can't zoom in with...
Dang it! I really like the information you provided although I was trying to apply it to which way to go with the RX1 i.e. OVF vs. EVF. Sorry if this post took a slight left turn from the topic. Unfortunately, it looks like I’ll have to go with both! Who says Sony was crazy for not including a built-in VF. (poor man walking...):cry:

kuau

Workshop Member
I should have mine on Monday here in the USA.
Lens I have are.
Sony 70-200/2.8
Minolta 20
Sony 24/2

Then I am converting my Nikon Zeiss glass over using Leitax mounts, very easy to do.
I also have a Contax C/Y 135/2 I have already converted.

EVF debate? for me it's a must, Turning 50 in 2 weeks, I need EVF with focus Peaking for manual focus which I do 90% of the time.

Do I wish the A99 was 36MP??? of course, yet it looks like I will have to wait for that.

Steven

Paratom

I am waiting for the Aust stock to arrive. The EVF gives you so much more than the OVF of the a900, which partly negates the heavier use of the battery. I am all manual focus and shoot in dark monasteries and alleyways so OVF is simply hit and often (too often) miss. I use a lot of slow and hard to focus lenses like Contax 100-300mm and 100/3.5 - the a77's peaking is just fabulous for these uses, and the real time reactive histo is another big win. You can gauge dof with good lighting in the EVF stopped down.

A preference for OVF is for a moment in time, but a mis-focused or miss on exposure grates every time you review the work. My metering was all over the show with Contax/Leica R lenses, and focus was iffy so I did a lot of reshooting and focus bracketing images..time also counts, I often get just 1-2 hours at a location, so time savings add up.

No mirror slap, flex LCD, light smallish body, top video to grow into over time, dual slots, cheaper SD cards, 200k shutter - these things matter to me. From net images and analysis, the sensor is showing more DR and bright and attractive colours, and excellent separation. Not much loss from SLT.

ISO 3200 shots look very usable, I never liked the a900 much past 800-1000. I am very happy to wait for the short time delay when the display swaps from LCD to EVF, and the instant review is also a boon - I hated the LCD on the a900, in bright light, often needed it just to see the poorly implemented histo. I put a strip of tape right next to the highlight clip point!

Seen this way, the EVF is a great 'means to the end' and final image settings can be dialed in much much faster and more accurately...esp for candid portraits. Reports are that the shutter is a little louder than a77, much better than the rather clanky a900.
I gather the LCD is the new white magic thingy too. Dust also - Friedman says dust settles on the mirror which protects the sensor somewhat, makes sense to me, and no mirror flapping, just the shutter. I figure the mirror acts like a fan on dust, spreading it everywhere in the box.

I started out wanting it for the updated sensor but then I saw it as a scalpel rather than a hammer..even the new grips are better.
I can see how the EVF is an advantage for manual focus.
For me its still more important to see the subject then seeing and dialing in settings. I can see exposure paramters in the OVF, dont know what else I would need in the viewfinder. Plus with an OVF I feel its real time.
For me the biggest advantage of EVF is the ability to include a "big" viewfinder/view in smaller cameras.

kuau

Workshop Member
Hi Jono,

The conversion is very easy especially on Zeiss ZF and ZF.2 lenses, on the Contax/Zeiss a little more involved yet I was able to do it as long as you follow the instructions.
I have been using my Contax/Zeiss 135 on my Nex 7 with the LEA-1 adaptor and it's worked great. Now with the A99 on the way, well it should be interesting.

Check out Voigtlander lens for Sony cameras

Steven

kuau

Workshop Member
I agree with you 100%, yet at the same time since I am a Manual Focus kind of guy, an accurate EVF with focus peaking or even without to me is the only way to go especially for 24MP and 36MP DSLR.

When I was shooting my D800E, sure looking the OVF for composition was great, but then I had to flip in LV for focus, and what I like what Sony has to offer is the articulating LCD which is head and shoulders better then Nikons LV.

Sure I would have been fine with a A99 with a OVF and Articulating LCD, yet I guess Sony is done with OVF altogether, and I assume in the not so near future it will be this way with everyone else.

Steven

I can see how the EVF is an advantage for manual focus.
For me its still more important to see the subject then seeing and dialing in settings. I can see exposure paramters in the OVF, dont know what else I would need in the viewfinder. Plus with an OVF I feel its real time.
For me the biggest advantage of EVF is the ability to include a "big" viewfinder/view in smaller cameras.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

The conversion is very easy especially on Zeiss ZF and ZF.2 lenses, on the Contax/Zeiss a little more involved yet I was able to do it as long as you follow the instructions.
I have been using my Contax/Zeiss 135 on my Nex 7 with the LEA-1 adaptor and it's worked great. Now with the A99 on the way, well it should be interesting.

Check out Voigtlander lens for Sony cameras

Steven
HI Steven
That's fantastic - and I guess it's decided me rather. I remember really liking the 58 f1.4 Voigtlander SLII, and the 25mm Zeiss - Together with the zooms I already have, these would make a fine kit, and I already know about the focus peaking.
Excellent . . . now all I need to do is a bit of work on ebay.

All the best
Jono

Mine arrives Monday morning. Halloween this week and then a concert at Stubbs BBQ later that evening lined up. Looking forward to putting the low light performance to the test.

petetsai

The shots are up in a new thread, I have had quite a bit more seat time with the new camera, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Posted this over in the Fun with the A99 thread but thought it suitable for this thread as well...

Just a few quick thoughts on the A99. I've only handled the A77 briefly but my short time with it was enough to have me worried that the A99 build quality would be the same, compared to the heft and tank like build of the A900. I would say the A99 falls squarely between the two. Tough enough, but I will miss the feel of the A900.

I do not like the A99 shutter. Yes it is quieter and no mirror slap. But something about it is disconcerting. It feels or sounds a bit sluggish, even at high shutter speeds. Your mind knows that the shutter speed is high but your ears tell you something different. Maybe this is the same as the A77, I would not know...I dare say, I far prefer the shutter on my NEX-5N.

The green focus confirmation box is similarly sluggish in that you hear the confirmation beep almost instantaneously as AF speed is blistering, but the box lights green a fraction of a second after the sound - not perfectly synched as it is on the A900. So my ear hears the confirmation but like Pavlov's dogs, I've been conditioned over the years to wait for the light. Fix that Sony, please.

Leitax metering seems better, still not perfect but focus peaking is stellar, performing even better than on the NEX.

The A99 setup has the steepest learning curve I have ever witnessed. It is going to take some time to get comfortable with it but I have no doubt that the effort will be rewarded.

IQ is excellent. The A900 was top-notch at lower ISOs and the A99 looks to have better dynamic range and color depth. High ISO looks good too. I shot a very dark show last night - no spotlights at all - at 6400 f/1.4, shutter at 1/20. That is as dark as I ever would want to shoot. Usually I just pack the camera away, knowing it isn't worth the trouble or output.