Site Sponsors

Thread: Who's first with the A99?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Who's first with the A99?

I got an email from Digital Rev today to say they have them in stock.

I'm just waiting for someone to start the 'fun with the A99' thread.

. . . . and trying hard to resist!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who's first with the A99?

Where is digital rev?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hong Kong

I hear you Jono! I am resisting starting a Fun with NEX-6 thread as well. As far as the cameras are concerned, I am on Monza's list for both.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two NEX-6s on order and I should get it as soon as they are available. One shop is already claiming to have the NEX-6 kit in Europe not sure though.

Oh, as for the A99, I will pass and look forward to the NEX hybrid FF (if they get it right with a built in EVF and the whole works and if it isn't half baked).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

And you know they ship so damn fast

I promised Monza I would buy from him but man, the urge...must not click...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying not to give in to my GAS for the A99. I'm sure it's going to be a fine camera, but I think it would be better for me to sit this one out and wait to see what Sony will come up with next. I'd be more interested in a high MP monster for larger prints. For 24 MP the NEX 7 is doing fine.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    Where is digital rev?
    it's here:

DigitalRev

I've bought several things from them - typically it takes 2 days to get to Europe - no hassle with customs, Decent customer services. Excellent in fact. Although of course you'll be getting an Asian camera, and I don't know what Sony's servicing is like (actually Digital Rev have their own service and drop off in the UK (but I haven't used it) they're good with refunds as well - I have used that.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Vaquf

Well, for people in the US, if they can wait, B&H is shipping A99 on 25th

Post Thanks / Like

I am a bit skeptical about European stock of NEX 6. My dealer can't even enter his orders into the Sony system yet, because products codes haven't yet been released for order entry. So deliveries aren't about to happen if orders can't be entered.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

Jono: I thought you sold all of your Sony gear? It's a slippery slope, my friend.

Oh, yeah...I ordered an RX1 (no lenses to buy) and a Nex 6.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Jono: I thought you sold all of your Sony gear? It's a slippery slope, my friend.
    Well, I seem to have a few lenses left . . . not, unfortunately the 24-70, as I thought they would release a version with a silent motor (maybe they will).

To be honest, I think I'm going to wait this one out - at least for a little while.

I DID sell all my E mount kit, so the NEX 6 is not an option - anyway, I'm really happy with the OMD in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Oh, yeah...I ordered an RX1 (no lenses to buy) and a Nex 6.

Cheers, Matt
    The RX1 is nearly twice the price in the UK (at current exchange rate it's a little over $4000) so that's an easy miss - considerably more than an A99 body!!!!

all the best

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I wont jump on it since I would want an OVF in a camera body of this size.
    If it was the A900 with the sensor of the A99 I might sell my Leica S2 and get the Sony.
    I think it is a big mistake they give up OVF. They should have offered at least both options. On a Nex7 the EVF makes perfect sense IMO, but why on the A99?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    If it was the A900 with the sensor of the A99 I might sell my Leica S2 and get the Sony.
    I think it is a big mistake they give up OVF. They should have offered at least both options. On a Nex7 the EVF makes perfect sense IMO, but why on the A99?
    HI Tom
    That's what they said on the LULA review . . . I have mixed feelings. It's actually not so much bigger than an A77. . . and a fair amount smaller than the A900

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I have shots with the a99 on my computer, but they're aren't the most exciting as I was shooting production shots for a Photo Assisting Workshop for the APA/Sony..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We could spend all day arguing the merits for and against the EVF. Some are looking forward to it, others are repelled by it. It is clear that Sony is "all-in" and will move this space forward.

I'm just pleased that the image samples look outstanding. Clearly a significant improvement of the A900 sensor, especially at higher ISOs. And I see no indication of a resolution hit due to the SLT when comparing the test RAW files over at Quesabesde. In fact, they look more detailed to me than the D600 - specifically the cathedral interior shot @ 6400.

As for the EVF, personally, I can live with it and will likely prefer it for certain tasks, maybe not for others...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by petetsai View Post
    I have shots with the a99 on my computer, but they're aren't the most exciting as I was shooting production shots for a Photo Assisting Workshop for the APA/Sony..
    Hi Pete
    How do you feel about the camera?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I guess its a matter of taste. I didnt mean to say an OVF is better than EVF, but in my case I feel more connected to the subject.
    Other than that I find the A99 looks very solid and a nice. I have no doubts the IQ will be very good.

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked it for the most part. They got rid of the funky connector to USB, its now mini-usb. the Evf takes a little getting used to, as you pull the camera up to your eye, its pitch black until the sensors detect your face near the body. I found it annoying as I wasn't sure if it was the lens cap or the body delay. Then I'd end up leaving the cap on and waiting longer with it on. I'm sure after a day or 2 I'd get used to this. I also turned off the auto switching where it uses the back screen then toggles to the evf. This seemed to make it switch a little faster.

As to real life use of the evf I think its nice, you get a bright view in varied conditions of your subject that can be a real game changer. Without pulling the camera back and forth you can now focus, zoom in to check focus, shoot, and then review all WITHOUT pulling the camera from your eye. Its a totally new way to shoot but my guess is that for those that transition to this they will greatly appreciate it. I'd equate it to having the quick response of a HUD and controls of an F16. When properly trained and used it will yield faster responses to actions, but you'll have to have the mindset of using it and pressing the right buttons to swap actions. In Low light conditions I would favor it greatly to my D800e in that I can keep the camera to my eye, have a beautiful liveview display that I can quickly zoom into and check critical focus to get the shot. While there might be some high gain noise, I'd take that over a dark optical that I can't zoom in with..

The body is very nice a light, so much so I can see people wanting to switch for that alone, It felt to me to be the lightest full frame DSLR i've ever held. The battery grip is nice, with its lower mounted vertical trigger although I wish it were a cast metal grip but I think all the sony grips are plastic. Feel wise all the Sony pro's I've talked to, that btw have much bigger hands then me, have not minded the slightly smaller body size.

I didn't get to push it as sports body, but I did hear others talking about it favorably in their use of it in San Francisco.

Hope this helps, I'll be at the Sony booth tommorow meeting with them so if there is anything else people have questions about let me know. I'll have access to all the cameras.

Also, just as an FYI, I am mostly a Nikon shooter on the DSLR side, although I own 4 different manufacturers right now. I am heavily invested in the NEX camp however. I just did modifications to an nex-5n for a friend that yielded some very nice images...

NEX-5n A great remote camera for aviation and other use
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I will wait for some concrete reviews on this. I may also wait for the next one after the first of the year. I have the A77 which i am totally happy with for what i do, and actually prefer the EVF over the OVF that i had in the 900. On thing which had happened quite a bit on my 900, was dirt spots on the viewfinder itself, not on the sensor. What a pain to get that out. Not a problem with the A77 finder. But, as usual, YMMV.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didnt mean to say an OVF is better than EVF, but in my case I feel more connected to the subject.
    Didn't take it that way at all. OVF probably is better for some shooting environments, no doubt.

I had my A900 and 5N w/evf at an assignment this weekend and it was clear that I preferred the "view" of the OVF but appreciated the function of the EVF - specifically being able to quickly nail manual focus and exposure on an adapted C/Y Zeiss 50mm. When that same lens was on the A900 I had two problems - 1. Due to some faulty metering I was drastically overexposing in Av mode. I would have to chimp each shot and adjust manually which made dealing with changing angles and light conditions problematic. With the EVF, I saw my exposure before tripping the shutter 2. Focus. I have an AF confirm chip on the Zeiss but still missed maybe 25% of focus. Not a problem on the EVF w/peaking.

If you only shoot AF, perhaps some of these issues disappear and optical is ideal.

Post Thanks / Like

I think two very important aspects aside from subjective ones to remember about EVF on a HD camera which shoots both video and stills are that:

1) You can shoot in more lighting conditions and see what you getting exposure wise with an EVF, especially video.

2) You should be able to focus better in low light with an EVF.

Mostly the arguments against, are to do with the connection you have through an OVF, and the lag/speed aspects of an EVF or the playback black-out, just after a shot is taken. Obviously to have a switch like Fuji is beneficial to offer both, but I think there are 'some' people, and not neccessarily here on this forum (safe disclaimer first ) who would just treat an EVF as an alternative to an OVF and not realize that there any benefits!
    Last edited by pophoto; 24th October 2012 at 16:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am waiting for the Aust stock to arrive. The EVF gives you so much more than the OVF of the a900, which partly negates the heavier use of the battery. I am all manual focus and shoot in dark monasteries and alleyways so OVF is simply hit and often (too often) miss. I use a lot of slow and hard to focus lenses like Contax 100-300mm and 100/3.5 - the a77's peaking is just fabulous for these uses, and the real time reactive histo is another big win. You can gauge dof with good lighting in the EVF stopped down.

A preference for OVF is for a moment in time, but a mis-focused or miss on exposure grates every time you review the work. My metering was all over the show with Contax/Leica R lenses, and focus was iffy so I did a lot of reshooting and focus bracketing images..time also counts, I often get just 1-2 hours at a location, so time savings add up.

No mirror slap, flex LCD, light smallish body, top video to grow into over time, dual slots, cheaper SD cards, 200k shutter - these things matter to me. From net images and analysis, the sensor is showing more DR and bright and attractive colours, and excellent separation. Not much loss from SLT.

ISO 3200 shots look very usable, I never liked the a900 much past 800-1000. I am very happy to wait for the short time delay when the display swaps from LCD to EVF, and the instant review is also a boon - I hated the LCD on the a900, in bright light, often needed it just to see the poorly implemented histo. I put a strip of tape right next to the highlight clip point!

Seen this way, the EVF is a great 'means to the end' and final image settings can be dialed in much much faster and more accurately...esp for candid portraits. Reports are that the shutter is a little louder than a77, much better than the rather clanky a900.
    I gather the LCD is the new white magic thingy too. Dust also - Friedman says dust settles on the mirror which protects the sensor somewhat, makes sense to me, and no mirror flapping, just the shutter. I figure the mirror acts like a fan on dust, spreading it everywhere in the box.

I started out wanting it for the updated sensor but then I saw it as a scalpel rather than a hammer..even the new grips are better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    My metering was all over the show with Contax/Leica R lenses, and focus was iffy so I did a lot of reshooting and focus bracketing images..
    same experience here. What is it about adapted Contax lenses that gives the A900 metering fits?

Those lenses are so damn good so I can't wait to do them justice on the A99.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering, when people talk about Contax lenses being adapted to A-Mount, do they mean C/Y, N or 645 Mount?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petetsai View Post
    I really liked it for the most part. They got rid of the funky connector to USB, its now mini-usb. the Evf takes a little getting used to, as you pull the camera up to your eye, its pitch black until the sensors detect your face near the body. I found it annoying as I wasn't sure if it was the lens cap or the body delay. Then I'd end up leaving the cap on and waiting longer with it on. I'm sure after a day or 2 I'd get used to this. I also turned off the auto switching where it uses the back screen then toggles to the evf. This seemed to make it switch a little faster.

As to real life use of the evf I think its nice, you get a bright view in varied conditions of your subject that can be a real game changer. Without pulling the camera back and forth you can now focus, zoom in to check focus, shoot, and then review all WITHOUT pulling the camera from your eye. Its a totally new way to shoot but my guess is that for those that transition to this they will greatly appreciate it. I'd equate it to having the quick response of a HUD and controls of an F16. When properly trained and used it will yield faster responses to actions, but you'll have to have the mindset of using it and pressing the right buttons to swap actions. In Low light conditions I would favor it greatly to my D800e in that I can keep the camera to my eye, have a beautiful liveview display that I can quickly zoom into and check critical focus to get the shot. While there might be some high gain noise, I'd take that over a dark optical that I can't zoom in with...
    Dang it! I really like the information you provided although I was trying to apply it to which way to go with the RX1 i.e. OVF vs. EVF. Sorry if this post took a slight left turn from the topic. Unfortunately, it looks like Iíll have to go with both! Who says Sony was crazy for not including a built-in VF. (poor man walking...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    I was wondering, when people talk about Contax lenses being adapted to A-Mount, do they mean C/Y, N or 645 Mount?
    C/Y adapted via Leitax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should have mine on Monday here in the USA.
    Lens I have are.
    Sony 70-200/2.8
    Minolta 20
    Sony 24/2

Then I am converting my Nikon Zeiss glass over using Leitax mounts, very easy to do.
    I also have a Contax C/Y 135/2 I have already converted.

EVF debate? for me it's a must, Turning 50 in 2 weeks, I need EVF with focus Peaking for manual focus which I do 90% of the time.

Do I wish the A99 was 36MP??? of course, yet it looks like I will have to wait for that.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post

Then I am converting my Nikon Zeiss glass over using Leitax mounts, very easy to do.
    I also have a Contax C/Y 135/2 I have already converted.

Hi Steven. I'd never thought of this. Is it easy?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    I am waiting for the Aust stock to arrive. The EVF gives you so much more than the OVF of the a900, which partly negates the heavier use of the battery. I am all manual focus and shoot in dark monasteries and alleyways so OVF is simply hit and often (too often) miss. I use a lot of slow and hard to focus lenses like Contax 100-300mm and 100/3.5 - the a77's peaking is just fabulous for these uses, and the real time reactive histo is another big win. You can gauge dof with good lighting in the EVF stopped down.

A preference for OVF is for a moment in time, but a mis-focused or miss on exposure grates every time you review the work. My metering was all over the show with Contax/Leica R lenses, and focus was iffy so I did a lot of reshooting and focus bracketing images..time also counts, I often get just 1-2 hours at a location, so time savings add up.

No mirror slap, flex LCD, light smallish body, top video to grow into over time, dual slots, cheaper SD cards, 200k shutter - these things matter to me. From net images and analysis, the sensor is showing more DR and bright and attractive colours, and excellent separation. Not much loss from SLT.

ISO 3200 shots look very usable, I never liked the a900 much past 800-1000. I am very happy to wait for the short time delay when the display swaps from LCD to EVF, and the instant review is also a boon - I hated the LCD on the a900, in bright light, often needed it just to see the poorly implemented histo. I put a strip of tape right next to the highlight clip point!

Seen this way, the EVF is a great 'means to the end' and final image settings can be dialed in much much faster and more accurately...esp for candid portraits. Reports are that the shutter is a little louder than a77, much better than the rather clanky a900.
    I gather the LCD is the new white magic thingy too. Dust also - Friedman says dust settles on the mirror which protects the sensor somewhat, makes sense to me, and no mirror flapping, just the shutter. I figure the mirror acts like a fan on dust, spreading it everywhere in the box.

I started out wanting it for the updated sensor but then I saw it as a scalpel rather than a hammer..even the new grips are better.
    I can see how the EVF is an advantage for manual focus.
    For me its still more important to see the subject then seeing and dialing in settings. I can see exposure paramters in the OVF, dont know what else I would need in the viewfinder. Plus with an OVF I feel its real time.
    For me the biggest advantage of EVF is the ability to include a "big" viewfinder/view in smaller cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,

The conversion is very easy especially on Zeiss ZF and ZF.2 lenses, on the Contax/Zeiss a little more involved yet I was able to do it as long as you follow the instructions.
    I have been using my Contax/Zeiss 135 on my Nex 7 with the LEA-1 adaptor and it's worked great. Now with the A99 on the way, well it should be interesting.

Check out Voigtlander lens for Sony cameras

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with you 100%, yet at the same time since I am a Manual Focus kind of guy, an accurate EVF with focus peaking or even without to me is the only way to go especially for 24MP and 36MP DSLR.

When I was shooting my D800E, sure looking the OVF for composition was great, but then I had to flip in LV for focus, and what I like what Sony has to offer is the articulating LCD which is head and shoulders better then Nikons LV.

Sure I would have been fine with a A99 with a OVF and Articulating LCD, yet I guess Sony is done with OVF altogether, and I assume in the not so near future it will be this way with everyone else.

Steven

I can see how the EVF is an advantage for manual focus.
    For me its still more important to see the subject then seeing and dialing in settings. I can see exposure paramters in the OVF, dont know what else I would need in the viewfinder. Plus with an OVF I feel its real time.
    For me the biggest advantage of EVF is the ability to include a "big" viewfinder/view in smaller cameras.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Hi Jono,

The conversion is very easy especially on Zeiss ZF and ZF.2 lenses, on the Contax/Zeiss a little more involved yet I was able to do it as long as you follow the instructions.
    I have been using my Contax/Zeiss 135 on my Nex 7 with the LEA-1 adaptor and it's worked great. Now with the A99 on the way, well it should be interesting.

Check out Voigtlander lens for Sony cameras

Steven
    HI Steven
    That's fantastic - and I guess it's decided me rather. I remember really liking the 58 f1.4 Voigtlander SLII, and the 25mm Zeiss - Together with the zooms I already have, these would make a fine kit, and I already know about the focus peaking.
    Excellent . . . now all I need to do is a bit of work on ebay.

All the best
    Jono

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine arrives Monday morning. Halloween this week and then a concert at Stubbs BBQ later that evening lined up. Looking forward to putting the low light performance to the test.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some night shots I'll be posting shortly that I shot friday night around times square....

Post Thanks / Like

The shots are up in a new thread, I have had quite a bit more seat time with the new camera, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Posted this over in the Fun with the A99 thread but thought it suitable for this thread as well...

Just a few quick thoughts on the A99. I've only handled the A77 briefly but my short time with it was enough to have me worried that the A99 build quality would be the same, compared to the heft and tank like build of the A900. I would say the A99 falls squarely between the two. Tough enough, but I will miss the feel of the A900.

I do not like the A99 shutter. Yes it is quieter and no mirror slap. But something about it is disconcerting. It feels or sounds a bit sluggish, even at high shutter speeds. Your mind knows that the shutter speed is high but your ears tell you something different. Maybe this is the same as the A77, I would not know...I dare say, I far prefer the shutter on my NEX-5N.

The green focus confirmation box is similarly sluggish in that you hear the confirmation beep almost instantaneously as AF speed is blistering, but the box lights green a fraction of a second after the sound - not perfectly synched as it is on the A900. So my ear hears the confirmation but like Pavlov's dogs, I've been conditioned over the years to wait for the light. Fix that Sony, please.

Leitax metering seems better, still not perfect but focus peaking is stellar, performing even better than on the NEX.

The A99 setup has the steepest learning curve I have ever witnessed. It is going to take some time to get comfortable with it but I have no doubt that the effort will be rewarded.

IQ is excellent. The A900 was top-notch at lower ISOs and the A99 looks to have better dynamic range and color depth. High ISO looks good too. I shot a very dark show last night - no spotlights at all - at 6400 f/1.4, shutter at 1/20. That is as dark as I ever would want to shoot. Usually I just pack the camera away, knowing it isn't worth the trouble or output.