Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Fun with the NEX-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the NEX-6

Kit - with an MF lens you must shoot with "shoot w/o lens" enabled otherwise it doesn't work. With this setting - and focus peaking set, focus peaking operates with both manual and AF lenses. However, DNF works only with AF lenses not with MF's (guess you realise this) For an enlarged (x4.8) image for focusing, you press the bottom button - "Soft key B" - focus peaking remains in operation. Press soft key B again and the image is enlarged (x9.6) further (but handheld, camera movement makes focusing difficult).
    With an AF lens the max magnification with DMF is x4.8, and to get x9.6 with an AF you need to change to full MF.
    Hope I understood your Q's correctly and the above helps.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit, Shac already addressed your concerns, I think.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I found a prewar macro lens. Pretty good even under flat light.

NEX-6, Carl Zeiss Planar 2cm f/4.5
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shac wrote:

For an enlarged (x4.8) image for focusing, you press the bottom button - "Soft key B" - focus peaking remains in operation. Press soft key B again and the image is enlarged (x9.6) further (but handheld, camera movement makes focusing difficult).
    With DTMS set, that is a very difficult button to press; the magnification does not appear unless both the shutter button is half pressed AND one is turning the focus ring—and to move the thumb to Softkey B is possible, but usually (for me) it is difficult to do this while retaining the half-press on the shutter.

Ah: now I get it: this works as described if MF is selected. Very helpful indeed. I wish it could be simply activated in the DTMS mode too, but 4.8X will do in this mode. Thanks Shac!

Post Thanks / Like

What MF macro lenses are people using? MF is fine, of course; and I like focal lengths between 50–100.

And which adapters are people recommending for LTM/M mount lenses (I want to try my CV 12, which is the LTM version, and I have the LTM–M adapter on it already)?

Post Thanks / Like

My most used (and probably favourite) macro lens on the NEX is an old M42 SMC Takumar 50/4. Very sharp, but also nice colours and out-of-focus rendering. Only problem (as wilth all Takumars) is that the focus direction is different from any other MF lens I have (Leica M and Olympus OM)

For the CV12 I suggest the Hawk adapter, so you get even closer focussing. Otherwise any Leica M to NEX mount adapter will do, as long as infinity focus is OK. I've got a second hand chaeper version from eBay (forgot the brand) that works fine.

Here's an example of the SMC Tak 50/4 at f 5.6 on the NEX 6

Last edited by pegelli; 29th April 2013 at 11:03.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit - I mainly use Olympus macro 50 f3.5 and 50 f2 - both great and the 3.5 is very small. Just got 2 more both Olympus macros - Auto 80 f4 and Auto 135 f4 - going to be using them on the Olympus Auto Extension tube 65-115.
    Also occasionally use the Nikkor 55 3.5 and Leica 60 2.8
    As to M mount adapters - I use the Viogtlander (from Cameraquest - v. well made) and the Hawk's Factory with helicoid - which is really great for closeups as well.
    All in all - great fun and great IQ - hope you have the same experience

Post Thanks / Like

OK all: what is the consensus of the strength of the NEX 6 AA filter? And (to Shac): which way rotation zooms in on Oly lenses; I can't recall! The ƒ3.5 looks like a winner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit - with the camera/lens infront of you in shooting position - the focus ring of Olympus OM lenses turns clockwise from infinity to close-focus. A useful site is Lens Group - but beware of GAS at least this that effect on me. I have also been swayed by Vivek and have a few Pen F lenses as well
    I'm not the one to ask about the AA filter - I am sure Vivek will have a good idea

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's the direction of the Sigmas, so I have been looking for a decent OM 50/3.5; Quite a few around. I am assuming that around $200 will get a decent one, from what I see on evilbay. I should mention (if I have not already) I have a preorder in on the new Sigma 50/2.8, but I can see owning and using both. Cheers, KL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OM 50/3.5 for $200? Oh the inflation! Mine cost $10/-.

Kit, I wish I could suggest a macro lens for you. I have >100 and all are my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit - KEH has 5 x 50 3.5's none more than $110 - not as good as Vivek's but still a decent price for a good lens. Mine's not MC but it doesn't seem to matter

Post Thanks / Like

My NEX-6 with the kit lens should be arriving tomorrow. Can someone please recommend a Leica R - NEX adapter or point me to a link where this might have been discussed earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shac View Post
    Kit - KEH has 5 x 50 3.5's none more than $110 - not as good as Vivek's but still a decent price for a good lens. Mine's not MC but it doesn't seem to matter
    I did not give KEH a thought because of problems that I have had with them in the past. Unlike most people it seems, I was not happy with the fact that when they sent me an Olympus OM1 camera it was missing various covers (for example the motor drive port) and yet was listed as excellent +.

I will look there again that is an excellent suggestion and I appreciate it. As well, both of my NEX 6 bodies are second hand and both are identical to brand-new so I have zero problems with buying used.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how successful this will be but I have asked them to pick the best one and get back to me. I shall report back; I'm always eager to give good feedback rather than bad whenever possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the NEX-6, images

OK; the names of the files should be self-explanatory, and all are SOOC:

image one: reluctant-to-be-photographed Mother

Detail at 100%:

In a playful mood a moment later (reminded me of Jorgen's avatar!):

50% to show bokeh:

The teacher I was working with on the retreat:

Note the huge DR (and in the original jpegs, the highlights are ~ 248), and these were downsized from jpegs, SOOC

Detail 100%, standard Sony jpeg settings; I am sure these can be improved:

This is a tiny part of the frame (I could not get closer without intruding; and the longest lens I have for the Sony at the moment is the 30/2.8).

Not bad for a $600 used camera and a $99 lens (the Sigma twins cost me $199, brand new from B&H).

Cheers to all, KL
    Last edited by kit laughlin; 2nd May 2013 at 18:55.
    Kit Laughlin, www.StretchTherapy.net/, www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice, Kit!

I wonder how it will perform with my Nikkor-H 85/1.8, M-Rokkor 90/4, and Hektor 135/4.5 ... Never mind the Color Skopar 21, 28, and Nokton 40/1.4. ;-)

Time will tell. I plan to get one of these bodies a bit later in the year. Right now, I'm concentrating on film camera things.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, my guess is very well! I want to start a thread here (or somewhere else) for people's recommendations re. excellent, good handling, small, MF, lenses with character!

I am pretty much over the razor sharp, clinical, look; now that I have bodies that I can make work much like old film cameras, I am interested in exploring some real Alt. glass.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered the most expensive of the OM 50/3.5s; I emailed KEH about having a store person select the best, but they have not replied to me, so hence my choice. Looking forward to getting this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Nice, Kit!

I wonder how it will perform with my Nikkor-H 85/1.8, M-Rokkor 90/4, and Hektor 135/4.5 ... Never mind the Color Skopar 21, 28, and Nokton 40/1.4. ;-)
    G
    Godfrey - I have the CV 15, 21 and 25 - I like the results v. much. Also use Nikons, Olympus, OM and Pen f lenses as well as Leica M & R lenses - very little not to like.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey - I have the CV 15, 21 and 25 - I like the results v. much. Also use Nikons, Olympus, OM and Pen f lenses as well as Leica M & R lenses - very little not to like.
    Thanks. I plan to hunt up a body sometime this summer.

Right now I'm a little over-busy with work and the other 'new' gear I've acquired. The Magpie has been a touch hyperactive.

Godfrey

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the NEX-6, images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post

This is a tiny part of the frame (I could not get closer without intruding; and the longest lens I have for the Sony at the moment is the 30/2.8).

Not bad for a $600 used camera and a $99 lens (the Sigma twins cost me $199, brand new from B&H).

Cheers to all, KL
    Kit, They are lovely! Sigma are introducing a 60/2.8 (regular lens not macro) for the NEX. I am sure that will also be a splendid performer.

The 30/2.8 is just wonderful. None of the manual focus oldies will do (they do not) as well as this.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone on here used either a Canon 50mm f/1.8 LTM or a Jupiter 8 on the NEX-6?

The NEX-6 is currently looking favourite to replace my DSLR gear, and I would like to use these lenses (both of which I own) on this camera. I'd be interested to hear any experiences and opinions (both pro- and con-) for these lenses on the NEX-6. Also, it would be good to know which LTM adapter(s) are good (and which to avoid).

TIA.
    Last edited by tbhv55; 3rd May 2013 at 23:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

tbhv55 - not sure if this helps but have a quick look here
    Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: NEX Canon Lens Autofocus Adapters Coming?

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful clarity in those shots, Kit. Is that the Sigma 30/2.8?

Post Thanks / Like

tbhv55 - not sure if this helps but have a quick look here
    Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: NEX Canon Lens Autofocus Adapters Coming?
    Shac, thanks for the link. That's very interesting. I'll probably keep some of my Canon lenses, so this is useful information.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, jsnack: straight out of camera, too, zero manipulations apart from downsizing to fit here, then zooming on to 100% on screen and cropping a part of that. I do now know if any other manipulation happens on the way to being seen here (the images as displayed here look very similar to what I see on my Apple HD display).

But I can see some evidence of jpeg atrifacts at 100%—the reason why one of them (the one of my Mother imitating Jorgen) is shown at 50% is so you can get an impression of how it would print, and though I am not set up to do that presently, I think that these would print well. To me there is a 3-D effect in portraits done at this distance and with this sort of separation between the foreground and background. I can't wait for the Sigma 50/2.8 to surface; I have one on pre-order—if it is as good as either of these lenses I've pretty much have the whole kit that I need (plus the CV 12/5.6 on an adapter).

The Sigma 30/2.8 is an extraordinary lens in my opinion: the bokeh is not too horrible and the rendering & detail is superb. And if you have seen the Lens Rental comparison, that lens is capable of resolving finer detail than pretty much any other lens out there and all for 99 bucks. My supposition is the Sigma have been surprised by the reception to the DPx Merrill series and have decided that they are going to produce lenses that are brilliant and cheap. Certainly the 19 and 30 but I bought ($199 for the pair) are far and away the best investment in glass I've ever made and they are even nice to focus with manually too, believe it or not.
    Last edited by kit laughlin; 5th May 2013 at 00:19.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Added link to Roger Cicala's test and corrected a typo; the Sigma 30/2.8 out-resolved the Leica 50/1.4, at all apertures, believe it or not. Now, of course, resolution is not the 'be-all and end-all' of lens characteristics, but I would rather have more than less, assuming other characteristics are good. With the Sigma twins, they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kit. I do wish Sigma made a 35/2.8 equivalent.

Post Thanks / Like

I am confident that Sigma will make a 35/2.8 equivalent, tho' no one has mentioned this. And I have pre-ordered the forthcoming Sigma 60/2.8 (at the absurd price of $229); if it's half as good as the 30/2.8, I will be pleased. Sigma is really hitting home runs with this series, for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

NEX 6 with Leica Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH.

Just got the camera. Adapter arrived this morning. A pleasure to use together.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am cross-posting this from Fred's site; and will probably post at DVXUsers, too:

I want to calibrate my ikan monitor which I use on the NEX 6 for critical focussing and video work; I am loosely familiar with the blue gun method, but am trying to load a jpeg of SMTPE color bars onto the SD card that I can play back to use—and have done so (put in the DICM folder Sony uses for stills), but the camera will not recognise this jpeg.

Does anyone know how to get the color bars onto the NEX 6 in a form it will recognise and be able to play back? I just tried renaming the color bars file as _DSC0470.JPG, following the Sony naming convention, but there must be some other invisible tag—Playback will still not recognise the file.

Otherwise, I can report that all the ikan functions work perfectly: guides, peaking, full screen, etc.: the peaking function, especially combined with the NEX 6 focussing aids, allows extremely fine focus. I am amazed that this quality is available at this price, and this newest of the Ikans has functions that the more expensive (7") ones do not.

Now: how to calibrate?

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone's interested, I have two blog posts on the NEX 6; I know that some members do not like to be linked to blogs, so if that describes you, please don't click!

I briefly cover both still and video use:

Why the NEX 6 is the best compromise stills/video camera presently

and

Revisiting the Sony NEX 6 as a dual function (stills and video) device

Cheers and comments welcome.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Kit,

I liked them. Unlike some, you actually link the getdpi threads, so, it is entirely appropriate to post them here.

One small correction. Your Sigma twins are not the repackaged ART lenses but the original DN lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek: thank you.

Re. the "Sigma twins": I understand that these are "DN" lenses, but somewhere I read that this pair (DN notwithstanding) were also part of the Art series; like the forthcoming 60/2.8. Here's a quote from DPR:

Sigma USA has given the price and introduction date of the 60mm F2.8 DN Art lens for mirrorless systems, originally announced at CP+. The 60mm DN will be available in the US for both Micro Four Thirds and Sony E-mount from mid-May at a cost of around $239.
    I will look around further; but in any case, these lenses are really stellar; have you seen Roger Cicala's review? Cheers and thanks, Kit

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Kit,

As I said, the new (higher priced ones) are the ART series and are rebadged and repacked.

I bought the 30/2.8 DN when it became available here (~190 Euros for one). Here is that thread.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/357...m-f2-8-dn.html

Yes, full marks to Sigma!

Post Thanks / Like

Kit,

I bought the Kenko DG tube set for NEX and use them with my Sigma 30mm and my Olympus G-Zuiko 40mm 1.4. Both combinations produce good results and are very very sharp. I find myself reaching for the 40 most often as it gives better working distances. The Canon 250D, 500D or Nikon 3T closeup lenses are good options too.

I am making a real effort to rid myself of big heavy MF lenses that, even though good, are just too heavy and bulky on the little NEX body. I like traveling as light as possible and try to get the mostest from the leastest.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vivek; that makes perfect sense—but the new DN 60/2.8 is an Art lens, and it's the same price ($229 B&H) as the Sigma twins—I wonder what's happening there?

No matter (and thanks for that link to your original thread, too). I remembered it as soon as I clicked on it—you must have had one of the first 30/2.8s in the world. I bought mine with the 19/2.8 from B&H for the paltry sum of $199; I still can't believe that. The 30 is a really good lens, and its bokeh is just lovely if you are close enough to the subject. cheers, Kit

Post Thanks / Like

A question to members here: can someone point me to an OM-NEX adapter that works? I just bought one from this seller, and the new (looks brand new) OM 50/3.5 macro will not seat in it.

If someone can suggest a reliable adapter, I will be grateful. cheers, KL

Post Thanks / Like

Steen B very kindly sent me some Sigma lens info.; now I know what's going on. The Sigma 30/2.8 that Vivek and I both have is not an '"Art" lens but these lenses have also been discontinued, and the replacement lens is "Art" designated, as is the new 60/2.8 I am patiently waiting on. I have no idea whether the Art lenses are any better (the bodies of the lenses do look different, and the focussing ring is not rubberised, and I use DMF all the time)—I predict that our lenses will become classics.

But for me the good news is that the Roger Cicala Lens Rentals test I referred to tested the model that Vivek and I own. It is brilliant, and the 19/2.8 only fractionally less.

cheers, and thanks Steen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun with the NEX-6

You are welcome, Kit

My suspicion is that the optical formula is exactly the same (at least it sounds like that from Sigma's own description of the lens elements),
    and that it's just the outer design that has been renewed in order to introduce the new marketing categories: Contemporary - Art - Sports.

Thus I think you got yourself a bargain when buying the 'old' original outer design at an extremely affordable price
    (though admittedly I do not know about the optical formula with sufficient certainty).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    A question to members here: can someone point me to an OM-NEX adapter that works? I just bought one from this seller, and the new (looks brand new) OM 50/3.5 macro will not seat in it.

If someone can suggest a reliable adapter, I will be grateful. cheers, KL
    Kit - The most reliable/well made are IMO the Novoflex - BUT they are very expensive. They do allow you to use a rotating tripod adapter (again very expensive) that relieves the strain on the camera body when using heavy lenses. I have the Nikon F version. There are cheap adapters that come with a fixed tripod foot - but the foot attachment is a little flimsy.

I do use cheaper Chinese adapters for my OM lenses and have had no problem other than having to tweaking the springs to firm up the mount. One thing I found with some of the Chinese sellers is that they respond well if you have a problem. Try contacting the one you bought it from and see if it can be resolved.

Good luck.
    David

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit, I don't have a E to OM adapter. I use an E to EOS adapter and mount my OM lenses via another adapter (EOS to OM).

Your adapter should have similar construction. Although mine was not a problem at all with any of the lenses I use the tension to hold the lens comes from this slot (3 in an adapter at the lens mount). Pry it open ever so gently with a sharp knife or a flat head screw driver and see if that works.

If that fails, what David suggests above is the solution. Contact the seller.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vivek; I have an image of an attempt to mount the OM 50/3.5 here:

The lens will not seat fully (it sits ~1.5mm proud)—yet I cannot see what's stopping it. I will re-examing it when I go next door in an hour of so, and I will look at that little flap, too.

I have contacted the seller (you have to love this); his solution? Refund me $5! Further he claimed that all adapters were tested before they left the factory; I told him all I wanted was an adapter that worked. Let's see.

I know that rainbowimaging adapters are excellent but, unfortunately, they will not ship to Australia. I may have to get a friend of mine US to get one for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit, Try pushing the lens release button (on the lens) while trying to mount the lens and see if that works. There is a tiny leg in the OM lens mount that protrudes and locks in to the camera mount (in this case, your adapter's mount).

Yes, I have had such (partial) returns. Quite rare though. Better than nothing, I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vivek,

Tried that; no go.

The seller came back to me today, insisting that every adapter is tried on a lens before shipping, but also offered a full refund.

I took the adapter apart today; on inspection, the problem became clear—the internal machining is not deep enough for the lens boss; the removed ring will clear the bayonets perfectly, but it hangs on the boss.

The seller offered a new adapter, but insisted that the present one was fitted to an OM lens before shipping. I know this can't be true, so have requested the refund.

cheers and thanks, KL

Post Thanks / Like

NEX 6 Wish List:

Menu-selectable square format; with the Sigma 19/2.8, this would be my all-time preferred format for personal work.

I have ordered THIS adapter for the NEX 6: this should be killer for macro, too (and I want to try reverse tilt with the OM 50/3.5, assuming it's sharp wide open). Let's hope this fits!

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't seen a normal shot in this fun thread for two weeks, way too long I think.

Maybe the technical discussion on lenses and adapters would be better in a dedicated thread and not in the "fun with", but I'll leave that for the mods.

Anyway, just showing what the NEX6 and 16-50 PZ kit can do with a good profile and some minor PP:

The Jesuit "Name of Jesus" University church in Wroclaw, Poland.

16 mm, f5.6, 2,5 sec, iso 400

Post Thanks / Like

pagelli, superb. I will post some images of mine in the next few days, but your image is truly excellent.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images