The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the NEX-6

V

Vivek

OM 50/3.5 for $200? Oh the inflation! Mine cost $10/-.

Kit, I wish I could suggest a macro lens for you. I have >100 and all are my favorites. :eek:

Shac

Kit - KEH has 5 x 50 3.5's none more than $110 - not as good as Vivek's but still a decent price for a good lens. Mine's not MC but it doesn't seem to matter

magosak

My NEX-6 with the kit lens should be arriving tomorrow. Can someone please recommend a Leica R - NEX adapter or point me to a link where this might have been discussed earlier.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Kit - KEH has 5 x 50 3.5's none more than $110 - not as good as Vivek's but still a decent price for a good lens. Mine's not MC but it doesn't seem to matter
I did not give KEH a thought because of problems that I have had with them in the past. Unlike most people it seems, I was not happy with the fact that when they sent me an Olympus OM1 camera it was missing various covers (for example the motor drive port) and yet was listed as excellent +.

I will look there again that is an excellent suggestion and I appreciate it. As well, both of my NEX 6 bodies are second hand and both are identical to brand-new so I have zero problems with buying used.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I don't know how successful this will be but I have asked them to pick the best one and get back to me. I shall report back; I'm always eager to give good feedback rather than bad whenever possible.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the NEX-6, images

OK; the names of the files should be self-explanatory, and all are SOOC:

image one: reluctant-to-be-photographed Mother

Detail at 100%:

In a playful mood a moment later (reminded me of Jorgen's avatar!):

50% to show bokeh:

The teacher I was working with on the retreat:

Note the huge DR (and in the original jpegs, the highlights are ~ 248), and these were downsized from jpegs, SOOC

Detail 100%, standard Sony jpeg settings; I am sure these can be improved:

This is a tiny part of the frame (I could not get closer without intruding; and the longest lens I have for the Sony at the moment is the 30/2.8).

Not bad for a $600 used camera and a $99 lens (the Sigma twins cost me $199, brand new from B&H).

Cheers to all, KL

Last edited:

Godfrey

Nice, Kit!

I wonder how it will perform with my Nikkor-H 85/1.8, M-Rokkor 90/4, and Hektor 135/4.5 ... Never mind the Color Skopar 21, 28, and Nokton 40/1.4. ;-)

Time will tell. I plan to get one of these bodies a bit later in the year. Right now, I'm concentrating on film camera things.

G

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Godfrey, my guess is very well! I want to start a thread here (or somewhere else) for people's recommendations re. excellent, good handling, small, MF, lenses with character!

I am pretty much over the razor sharp, clinical, look; now that I have bodies that I can make work much like old film cameras, I am interested in exploring some real Alt. glass.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I just ordered the most expensive of the OM 50/3.5s; I emailed KEH about having a store person select the best, but they have not replied to me, so hence my choice. Looking forward to getting this one.

Shac

Nice, Kit!

I wonder how it will perform with my Nikkor-H 85/1.8, M-Rokkor 90/4, and Hektor 135/4.5 ... Never mind the Color Skopar 21, 28, and Nokton 40/1.4. ;-)
G
Godfrey - I have the CV 15, 21 and 25 - I like the results v. much. Also use Nikons, Olympus, OM and Pen f lenses as well as Leica M & R lenses - very little not to like.

Godfrey

Godfrey - I have the CV 15, 21 and 25 - I like the results v. much. Also use Nikons, Olympus, OM and Pen f lenses as well as Leica M & R lenses - very little not to like.
Thanks. I plan to hunt up a body sometime this summer.

Right now I'm a little over-busy with work and the other 'new' gear I've acquired. The Magpie has been a touch hyperactive.

Godfrey

V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the NEX-6, images

This is a tiny part of the frame (I could not get closer without intruding; and the longest lens I have for the Sony at the moment is the 30/2.8).

Not bad for a $600 used camera and a $99 lens (the Sigma twins cost me $199, brand new from B&H).

Cheers to all, KL
Kit, They are lovely! Sigma are introducing a 60/2.8 (regular lens not macro) for the NEX. I am sure that will also be a splendid performer.

The 30/2.8 is just wonderful. None of the manual focus oldies will do (they do not) as well as this.

tbhv55

Has anyone on here used either a Canon 50mm f/1.8 LTM or a Jupiter 8 on the NEX-6?

The NEX-6 is currently looking favourite to replace my DSLR gear, and I would like to use these lenses (both of which I own) on this camera. I'd be interested to hear any experiences and opinions (both pro- and con-) for these lenses on the NEX-6. Also, it would be good to know which LTM adapter(s) are good (and which to avoid).

TIA.

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Yes, jsnack: straight out of camera, too, zero manipulations apart from downsizing to fit here, then zooming on to 100% on screen and cropping a part of that. I do now know if any other manipulation happens on the way to being seen here (the images as displayed here look very similar to what I see on my Apple HD display).

But I can see some evidence of jpeg atrifacts at 100%—the reason why one of them (the one of my Mother imitating Jorgen) is shown at 50% is so you can get an impression of how it would print, and though I am not set up to do that presently, I think that these would print well. To me there is a 3-D effect in portraits done at this distance and with this sort of separation between the foreground and background. I can't wait for the Sigma 50/2.8 to surface; I have one on pre-order—if it is as good as either of these lenses I've pretty much have the whole kit that I need (plus the CV 12/5.6 on an adapter).

The Sigma 30/2.8 is an extraordinary lens in my opinion: the bokeh is not too horrible and the rendering & detail is superb. And if you have seen the Lens Rental comparison, that lens is capable of resolving finer detail than pretty much any other lens out there and all for 99 bucks. My supposition is the Sigma have been surprised by the reception to the DPx Merrill series and have decided that they are going to produce lenses that are brilliant and cheap. Certainly the 19 and 30 but I bought ($199 for the pair) are far and away the best investment in glass I've ever made and they are even nice to focus with manually too, believe it or not.

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Added link to Roger Cicala's test and corrected a typo; the Sigma 30/2.8 out-resolved the Leica 50/1.4, at all apertures, believe it or not. Now, of course, resolution is not the 'be-all and end-all' of lens characteristics, but I would rather have more than less, assuming other characteristics are good. With the Sigma twins, they are.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I am confident that Sigma will make a 35/2.8 equivalent, tho' no one has mentioned this. And I have pre-ordered the forthcoming Sigma 60/2.8 (at the absurd price of $229); if it's half as good as the 30/2.8, I will be pleased. Sigma is really hitting home runs with this series, for me.