The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the NEX-6

scho

I sold my NEX 7 last year and just replaced it with a new NEX 6. I couldn't resist the promotional discount. :) First trail walk shot (actually two stitched handheld shots) using the NEX 6 with Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Mike, it's a different one but I'm sure the principle is similar and I will post a photograph of it when it arrives.

As an ex-architecture shooter, using the best of Canon's and Nikon's lenses, tilt is definitely something I miss. When I mentioned 'reverse tilt', what I was thinking of there was using the Olympus 50 macro with a bit of reverse tilt to lessen the depth of field for portraits actually. I have no idea what the bokeh of the Olympus 50 is like but I'm hopeful that about half a degree or so of reverse tilt will only improve its look in this regard.

And to Shac: I have two NEX 6 bodies, and even though they have a lower MP count, I prefer them over the 7 in every way. And (a number of others have posted on this) the NEX 6 finder is (for me) definitely superior. I have zero problems using and composing with them.

Shac

Thanks Carl/Kit - I was just curious - no desire for a 7 (other than 24MP) but for me the 6 is way more friendly/useable handling than the 5N - its's become my go to.

scho

One more from the sixmile creek gorge shoot. NEX 6 with Sigma 30 2.8 DN, 3 shot stitch. This is just upstream from the "trickle" trib in the previous shot.

pegelli

Nice shots scho, especially like the rendering of your Hexanon. Very pleasing and nice bokeh. Comes out well with these nice and vibrant flowers.

I'm having more and more fun with my NEX6
These are just some quick snaps walking back from the Wroclaw city center after dinner going to our hotel. I'm amazed how the camera handles the low light, especially since the 16-50 PZ I had on there is not a very bright lens.

1) University

2) Simple street

3) Along the river Oder

4) The Cathedral, looking over the river (this is actually a 6 MP crop of the total 16 MP sensor)

All exif's inside

scho

Nice shots scho, especially like the rendering of your Hexanon. Very pleasing and nice bokeh. Comes out well with these nice and vibrant flowers.

I'm having more and more fun with my NEX6
These are just some quick snaps walking back from the Wroclaw city center after dinner going to our hotel. I'm amazed how the camera handles the low light, especially since the 16-50 PZ I had on there is not a very bright lens.
Thank you Pieter. Nice, dramatic B&W images of the city after dark.

scho

Getting re-acquainted with some old glass on the NEX 6. These are with the Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar (modified for M mount).

Old split rail fence detail.

Storm run-off, first summer T-storms

scho

My one and only Sony lens. The 18-200 LE. Not the sharpest tack in the box, but a relatively compact, stabilized travel zoom.

xtianyves

pegelli those are fantastic shots even with just the PZ!

I haven't been able to shoot my NEX-6 much lately due to the bad weather in Vancouver. Of course when the weather is great I'm busy at work and don't get the opportunity to shoot.

Anyway it did clear up a bit last week and I finally managed to get a decent shot with my NEX-6.

NEX-6 + Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar 15mm.
f/5.6 @ 10-seconds, ISO 100

Fibonacci Sequence by christianyves, on Flickr

xtianyves

Carl those are pretty nice. I really like the microcontrast from the lens-especially the last one. Do you have any photos of what the setup looks like?

pegelli

Beautiful "blue hour" reflection xtianyves. lovely composition and colours.

Also like all these different plants and other details from scho, every lens a bit different but still there is also a very pleasing commonality in them.

Maybe this one of mine doesn't belong in the "fun" thread. It's concentration camp Gross Rosen (near Wroclaw, Poland). A depressing place and the weather we had there really brought out the mood I felt.

NEX6 + E10-18/4

Godfrey

I don't know whether "like" is the right term to assign to that photo, pegelli, but it is indeed beautifully expressive and intensely emotional.

scho

Carl those are pretty nice. I really like the microcontrast from the lens-especially the last one. Do you have any photos of what the setup looks like?
Thanks. Here is a quick iPhone snap of the Canon FD 50mm 1.2L on the NEX 6. A compact but relatively heavy lens that balances nicely on the NEX, with the added weight a plus for stability when shooting hand held. Takes 52mm filters and I use B+W 52mm metal lens hood.

scho

Last of my grey, rainy day garden shots with the Canon FD 50mm f/1.2L.

A couple of bokeh samples.

f/2.0

f/2.8

Wet Ferns

Wet Grass