Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NEX-6 discussion

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEX-6 discussion

Nettar, one further comment about the DxOMark scores. I added the NEX-7 to the comparison since I had one and sold it. The DxOMark SNR graphs show it essentially tied with the NEX-5N with the NEX-5R trailing. When I had the NEX-7 and compared it to the 5N, it definitely had higher noise at high ISO. I think the NEX-6 is better than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you are right -- according to some of those graphs the 7 and the 5N are closer than one would expect.

However, I think you may have looked at a comparison on the basis of how the image looks when printed, rather than on-screen. To the top left of the DxO graph of "SNR 18%" you'll see a small clickable box, with the left-hand side labelled "screen" and the right-hand side labelled "print." If I click on "screen" I get a graph that accords with your experience and mine, with the NEX 7 at the bottom and the 5R and 5N above it, and the 5N doing a whisker better than the 5R. But if I click on "print" I get the situation that you described in your post. Also, when I click I get information (in a yellow box) that describes the different standardisations used. [I might add that, since the graph shows SNR rather than NSR, then "higher is better." In my line of work I tend to use NSR, so I had cause to wonder when I first saw some of the graphs!] Nettar

Post Thanks / Like

Ah ha, I thought I was already on Screen. Unfortunately, what this also shows is that at ISO 6400 and above, the 5N separates significantly from the 5R which is also what I'm seeing with the 6. Sigh, I guess I'm going to use it for a while to see how much difference I feel like there is in actual shooting. I've considered trying a Fuji XPro1 but max ISO on it is 6400 and I've actually used 12800 on the NEX-5N with decent results as long as I'm sticking to internet size images. I was hoping to gain some with the NEX-6 not go backwards. It handles so well it's a shame they couldn't have left the imager alone.

BTW, I'm comfortable with SNR since I've used that a lot in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone move to the Nex-6 from the E-M5 or other m4/3 camera? Thoughts, comments?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been using the tiny/versatile Nikon SB-30 on the 6. All manual and fully adjustable (down to 1/64th).

To use the HVL20 with TTL, I bought the Sony adapter ADPMAA.

Good thing that there is a 75 Euro cash back on the NEX-6 here as the adapter costs 28 Euros.