The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-6 discussion

V

Vivek

Hi Po, The sound in my NEX5N is a faint tinny sound (shutter assembly has had a slight mod). Compared to that, the shutter in 6 Is quite audible and plasticky.
I will try to muffle it soon with some special materials i have.

Off the shelf shutter sounds of both 5N and 6 are more audible (to me) relative to that of the 7.

pophoto

Thanks Vivek, so it seems the 7 is the most dampened. I wonder when they will address this. I really feel all mirrorless should be silent! (Personal preference of course!)

mazor

Hi Po, The sound in my NEX5N is a faint tinny sound (shutter assembly has had a slight mod). Compared to that, the shutter in 6 Is quite audible and plasticky.
I will try to muffle it soon with some special materials i have.

Off the shelf shutter sounds of both 5N and 6 are more audible (to me) relative to that of the 7.
oooh, a modified shutter? Please do tell what the mod has been doen to your 5n shutter?

mazor

thats good for IQ for still, gues they are keeping in line with the Nex 5 16mp series cameras.

What could be an issue is moire in videos though with the absence of AA

zombii

Regarding the EVF, I don't see any noticeable difference between the 6 and the 5N other than the 6 being internal. If anything, the view seems more open and less sensitive to eye position. Having had a 7, I don't think it was superior to the 6 in that regard.

As for the battery charging solution, this is a serious cheap out by Sony. So following their way of thinking, you can't use the camera while you're charging your battery? Hello? Did it dawn on them that some people might actually be doing some serious shooting where they'd have more than one battery so they could charge one while still shooting? So just add $20 to the price and give us a charger with the camera.

And then they make it worse by switching to a micro-USB connector. What brain trust thought that was a good idea? Probably the people that thought they could sell more cables by doing it. This and the battery charging solution are good examples where Sony outsmarts themselves. They come up with a good product then cripple it with some design aspect that either makes them look cheap or which is incompatible with the rest of the world. As a company, I do not like them even if the NEX cameras are good overall.

As for the Wi-Fi, I want to be able to turn it off. At the very least, it has to be a battery drain and if the RF in any way impacts the images, it needs to go away. I say this because the noise pattern in the NEX-6 images appears to be of a fine grain similar to the 5N but it appears to be denser. There is also some very slight banding that I don't see in the 5N. Exactly how much this affects real images is yet to be determined. It's entirely possible this is a difference between the individual imagers in question but I was hoping to see noise at least as good as the 5N if not better and so far, it's not better at the very least. I'm very interested to see formal reviews of this.

Nettar

zombii, in relation to your last paragraph, DxO's comparison of the 5N with the 5R indicates that the latter has gained a little in dynamic range, but at the expense of high ISO performance, relative to the former: DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side . One is tempted to conjecture that the 6 will be closer to the 5R than to the 5N, but the 6 hasn't been tested by DxO yet.

I actually prefer the versatility of the add-on EVF on the 5N, but I'm in a small minority here. Nettar

zombii

Thanks Nettar, I hadn't seen that. I swear Sony seems to be determined to sabotage the very thing that makes this camera attractive (to me). Unfortunately, the external EVF is one of the negatives about the 5N for me. The thing is a constant pain getting it in and out of the camera bag and I don't like that it won't lock in the down position. However, looks like I'm not going to be selling it right away after all. I did some side by side shooting with both tonight. The difference is small but there's a difference. Question is can I live with it.

zombii

Nettar, one further comment about the DxOMark scores. I added the NEX-7 to the comparison since I had one and sold it. The DxOMark SNR graphs show it essentially tied with the NEX-5N with the NEX-5R trailing. When I had the NEX-7 and compared it to the 5N, it definitely had higher noise at high ISO. I think the NEX-6 is better than that.

Nettar

Yes, you are right -- according to some of those graphs the 7 and the 5N are closer than one would expect.

However, I think you may have looked at a comparison on the basis of how the image looks when printed, rather than on-screen. To the top left of the DxO graph of "SNR 18%" you'll see a small clickable box, with the left-hand side labelled "screen" and the right-hand side labelled "print." If I click on "screen" I get a graph that accords with your experience and mine, with the NEX 7 at the bottom and the 5R and 5N above it, and the 5N doing a whisker better than the 5R. But if I click on "print" I get the situation that you described in your post. Also, when I click I get information (in a yellow box) that describes the different standardisations used. [I might add that, since the graph shows SNR rather than NSR, then "higher is better." In my line of work I tend to use NSR, so I had cause to wonder when I first saw some of the graphs!] Nettar

zombii

Ah ha, I thought I was already on Screen. Unfortunately, what this also shows is that at ISO 6400 and above, the 5N separates significantly from the 5R which is also what I'm seeing with the 6. Sigh, I guess I'm going to use it for a while to see how much difference I feel like there is in actual shooting. I've considered trying a Fuji XPro1 but max ISO on it is 6400 and I've actually used 12800 on the NEX-5N with decent results as long as I'm sticking to internet size images. I was hoping to gain some with the NEX-6 not go backwards. It handles so well it's a shame they couldn't have left the imager alone.

BTW, I'm comfortable with SNR since I've used that a lot in the past.

V

Vivek

I have been using the tiny/versatile Nikon SB-30 on the 6. All manual and fully adjustable (down to 1/64th).

To use the HVL20 with TTL, I bought the Sony adapter ADPMAA.

Good thing that there is a 75 Euro cash back on the NEX-6 here as the adapter costs 28 Euros.