The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the A99!

As will a higher resolution camera like my Hassy H4d-50 which similarly has no AA filter, but that's not the whole story here. I appreciate the high ISO performance of the A99 but I'm not yet convinced it does not come at the expense of pixel level sharpness.

Still, I can appreciate its versatility.
Quentin,

Have you seen the Quesabesda comparisons between the A99 and the D600?

They had their still life focus point messed up but if you look at the cathedral shots, specifically the high ISO interior and bake your own JPEG from the RAW files, you will find that the A99 looks superior in pixel level detail and sharpness. Don't bother comparing the JPEGS - Sony still falls flat in their JPEG engine.

I initially had reservations about pixel level sharpness compared to the A900 at low ISO but have not seen that born out. In fact, the Imaging Resource still life looks more detailed in the A99 shot at base ISO.

MikalWGrass

OK, I will take the bait for those of us who have no clue about pixel level sharpness and how that translates into real life situations. Quentin, does pixel level sharpness make a picture a better, or are you just looking for a benchmark against which to compare other cameras? Are you shooting on a tripod with a cable release or are you taking pictures hand held in low light of moving subjects? Isn't sharpness just one aspect of a picture? Haven't many pinpoint razor sharp pictures been taken that just flat out stink? Here is my take, and again, I really have no clue but isn't a bad picture taken with amazing pixel level sharpness still a bad picture? The converse about lack of sharpness holds true as well I am guessing.

I happen to like the images from NYC and the photo of the approaching storm. What is wrong with them that pixel level sharpness can improve?

Thanks.

Mikal

Shashin

Pixel-level sharpness is not a very useful metric. Sharpness is not only a subjective quality, it is also a relative one in regard to format and pixel resolution. It is also affected by scene contrast and detail. The other problem is that the sharpness is mostly the product of the optics. Resampling can change the pixel level sharpness while our impression of the image does not. All in all, I am not sure the term is very meaningful.

petetsai

Hi all, Normally I do not show/share unedited work but in the interest of the pixel peepers (of which I wag my finger at you to shoot more and peep less! :p) I will provide a few example images, the camera jpegs as shot.

They are 6 megabytes, so download if you really want to.

This one is an iso3200/f3.5 image of some tiles in the subway. It looks pretty good to me for SOOC, but then I don't shoot for jpeg as part of my normal workflow. I will tell you the raw + LR will give a better result for sure.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18939281/DSC09588.JPG

This other image is from Times Square shot at iso1600/f2.8

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18939281/DSC09650.JPG

This camera is by far superior to anything you will get from an A900 at these ISOs,

Cheers,
Pete

f/otographer

Just my .02 cents worth, but pixel peeping is a huge waste of time. The simple fact of the matter is that the a99 is a freaking awesome camera. It is capable of taking world class, National Geographic level photos. Hands down, no debate possible. Way to many people spend way to much time on internet forums discussing this or that particular spec between camera X and camera Y.

People just need to pick up a camera and go shoot. 99% of the time crap composition and banal subject matter will destroy a photo before sharpness ever comes into play. And as a few posters have said there are sooooooo many factors that can effect the sharpness of a photo that dumping it on the camera body borders on ridiculous.

The a99 is a world class camera. So are the recent Canon and Nikons. So are the recent mirrorless camera. So are the great majority of cameras used by everyone on this site. If you aren't taking world class photos with what you got at home then look to your skillz first.

There is no Pulitzer Prize for sharpness.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Reading this thread makes me feel really great - everything is GOOD - and even better in every camp!

Come on folks, this can't be serious :D

jonoslack

As will a higher resolution camera like my Hassy H4d-50 which similarly has no AA filter, but that's not the whole story here. I appreciate the high ISO performance of the A99 but I'm not yet convinced it does not come at the expense of pixel level sharpness.

Still, I can appreciate its versatility.
HI Quentin
I think that if you're yardstick for pixel level sharpness is the DP2, then nothing is going to come up to scratch - on the other hand, as others have said, I'm not sure that it has a great deal of relevance to the final picture (micro contrast seems to be much more of a deal).

If you're used to shooting a camera without an AA filter (I do that too) then anything which does have an AA filter is going to be less impressive at 100% - but then, who on earth is looking at 24mp at 100%? . . . . Oh! I know who :)

If you really want pixel level sharpness, then forget the DP2 and forget the A99 . . . just get yourself a Leica Monochrom - THAT'S pixel level sharpness (with no Bayer filter and no AA filter).

My problem with the A99 is that, sadly, Apple don't yet support the RAW files - so I'm waiting until they do.

philip_pj

Thanks so much for the night shots, petetsai, they reveal a world of possibilities that is simply not available with the a900.

I fully understand Quentin's take based on his intended use of the Merrill - stock. To be honest, the Sigma cameras' images look preternatural and graceless to me, much like over-sharpened web images, with odd colours for landscape/nature work. But good luck to them and the users of the technology.

The a99 has the usual 'something for everyone' approach by Sony, but I guess I see it (for my uses) as a FF version of the already very capable a77, with more DR, attractive noise, and the real clincher - greater colour separation. If you take a long look at the excellent comparisons at Imaging Resources, the colour brightness and tonality are very evident. The sensor is regarded as having moderate a strength AA, due most likely to some design intelligence to overcome the inherent SLT 'light theft'. From a strictly imaging POV, I look for excellent (not necessarily class leading) resolution, top class colour, natural rendition and very broad DR.

I expect it to be possible to use just the (apparently improved) EVF much of the time for manual focus (100% for me now), due to the peaking display, real time histo display and real time exposure feedback and post shot display. These four *camera* features plus high ISO ability, and no mirror slap induced me to order one right away, as they are all clear advantages over the a900, and will result is very few non-composition errors - I have always reshot most critical a900 images, and the LCD is horrible in bright light, with a very poor histo display, exposure with Leitaxed lenses was iffy, and low light was a serious 'challenge' to say the least.

I shot a few a77 images using a Summicron R 50/2 with peaking in near dark, checked the focus accuracy - and was an instant convert to EVF, as this is simply not possible with an OVF even the a900s.

Gets here tomorrow.

kuau

Workshop Member
Been using mine for the past 2 days, nothing to interesting, just testing my current lens line up, so far so good.
What I have found is processing in LR 4.2 I like Adobe Standard the best for color, than maybe portrait after that. I still need to create me own DNG profile.
Amount 80, Radius .7, Detail 70, then mask set to taste I am using about 35 so blue sky's don't look crunchy.
The EVF for me is a life savor. All I can say is wow, MF is a breeze now, I have not even opened the LCD yet....

If anyone is looking for a L-Bracket this one works:
Universal L-type Quick-Release Plates DPL-03 - Products - Sunwayphoto-a superior photography accessories manufacturer in Shenzhen China

It just fits. I have no use for the HDMI, USB, ports so I am good to go.
I picked one up from amazon for 85.00

Also if anyone is looking for a super clean Sony SAL 70200G 70-200/2.8G lens
Drop me a note. I purchased one a few weeks ago, Love it but for me just to heavy for my hiking backpack.

Steven

Thanks so much for the night shots, petetsai, they reveal a world of possibilities that is simply not available with the a900.

I fully understand Quentin's take based on his intended use of the Merrill - stock. To be honest, the Sigma cameras' images look preternatural and graceless to me, much like over-sharpened web images, with odd colours for landscape/nature work. But good luck to them and the users of the technology.

The a99 has the usual 'something for everyone' approach by Sony, but I guess I see it (for my uses) as a FF version of the already very capable a77, with more DR, attractive noise, and the real clincher - greater colour separation. If you take a long look at the excellent comparisons at Imaging Resources, the colour brightness and tonality are very evident. The sensor is regarded as having moderate a strength AA, due most likely to some design intelligence to overcome the inherent SLT 'light theft'. From a strictly imaging POV, I look for excellent (not necessarily class leading) resolution, top class colour, natural rendition and very broad DR.

I expect it to be possible to use just the (apparently improved) EVF much of the time for manual focus (100% for me now), due to the peaking display, real time histo display and real time exposure feedback and post shot display. These four *camera* features plus high ISO ability, and no mirror slap induced me to order one right away, as they are all clear advantages over the a900, and will result is very few non-composition errors - I have always reshot most critical a900 images, and the LCD is horrible in bright light, with a very poor histo display, exposure with Leitaxed lenses was iffy, and low light was a serious 'challenge' to say the least.

I shot a few a77 images using a Summicron R 50/2 with peaking in near dark, checked the focus accuracy - and was an instant convert to EVF, as this is simply not possible with an OVF even the a900s.

Gets here tomorrow.

Good summation Philip and I agree on all points. Glad to know other Leitax users had iffy metering on the A900.

Just a few quick thoughts on the A99. I've only handled the A77 briefly but my short time with it was enough to have me worried that the A99 build quality would be the same, compared to the heft and tank like build of the A900. I would say the A99 falls squarely between the two. Tough enough, but I will miss the feel of the A900.

I do not like the A99 shutter. Yes it is quieter and no mirror slap. But something about it is disconcerting. It feels or sounds a bit sluggish, even at high shutter speeds. Your mind knows that the shutter speed is high but your ears tell you something different.

The green focus confirmation box is similarly sluggish in that you hear the confirmation beep almost instantaneously as AF speed is blistering, but the box lights green a fraction of a second after the sound - not perfectly synched as it is on the A900. So my ear hears the confirmation but like Pavlov's dogs, I've been conditioned over the years to wait for the light. Fix that Sony, please.

Leitax metering seems better, still not perfect but focus peaking is stellar, performing even better than on the NEX.

The A99 setup has the steepest learning curve I have ever witnessed. It is going to take some time to get comfortable with it but I have no doubt that the effort will be rewarded.

IQ is excellent. The A900 was top-notch at lower ISOs and the A99 looks to have better dynamic range and color depth. High ISO looks good too. I shot a very dark show last night - no spotlights at all - at 6400 f/1.4, shutter at 1/20. That is as dark as I ever would want to shoot. Usually I just pack the camera away, knowing it isn't worth the trouble or output.

yatlee

What adapter do you use for Leica lens on the A mount, please?
Bill
Bill, Leitax with chip from James Lao. I tried some Chinese made mount before, but Leitax is better made albeit costing 3 times as much. The chip from James Lao is also recommended, it enables the stablization which alone is worth the price to me. I have converted 19/2.8, 35/F1.4 & F2, 50/1.4, 80/1.4, 100/2.8 and 180/3.4 with proper EXIF data on focal length. When the lens is mounted, it automatically turn to the largest aperture of the lens for metering. A friend of mine even done one with the tele-modular.

Even with the upcoming Leica M which allows the use of R lens with an adaptor, I think this is by far the more flexible and better use of the R lens.

MikalWGrass

Bill, I adapted an R 50/1.4 E55 for the a900 using the Leitax adapter and the Lao chip. The adapter and chip are rock solid and well worth the price if it means you can use the lens you want to use. I can't recommend them highly enough, and David at Leitax is great to deal with.

The only drawback with the adapter (and this was confirmed by others on this forum) is that the focus in more accurate depending upon which direction the lens is being focused from (infinity to close up, or close up to infinity). I also don't get EXIF data unless I set everything manually but for the most I am not a stickler for the data other than film speed.

FWIW, I am also adapting an R 180/4 to A mount.

Dan Ortego

Really great files from your NYC street-shoot. Heck, if I didn’t already have the A900 I'd be tempted. Also love Bill's pano of Hurricane Sandy.

Last edited:

etrigan63

Monza has my A99 body and is assembling the rest of the kit, so I should have mine shortly.

Pete, you must be one silver-tongued devil to "finagle an A99 overnight". I was at PhotoPlus as well and was only able to get them to allow me to shoot some RAW files in the booth with the promise to never post them because the unit was pre-production.

Bill, excellent pano!

Quentin, pixel-peeping is dead. See this article.

petetsai

Thanks et al, saw a review from DigitalRev and they seemed to feel the same about the usable ISO range as I did.

Carlos, getting a loaner is quite a bit easier for me as I have some great connections at Sony.

etrigan63

Good connections indeed!

After two years of cajoling, they agreed to send me a Cybershot HX30V to review. I hope to cultivate a closer relationship with them.