Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the A99!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the A99!

Mikal lent me his HLV-F58M flash for the weekend along with the 85mm. The model is my daughter.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I thought she is.

Question about the flash is due to the highlights and the red in the eye.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oddly enough, it isn't red-eye but purple fringing. Havent figured out how to correct that in Aperture. In LR4 it is stupid simple. I used the included adapter but it isn't very solid as the Minolta style foot is a bit wobbly. I picked up a HVL-F43 from Big Box to hold me over but I will likely return it and get an HVL-F60 instead.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    . . . and today it has Aperture support!
    Have you got one Peter?
    No, stuck with D800E

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Oddly enough, it isn't red-eye but purple fringing. Havent figured out how to correct that in Aperture. In LR4 it is stupid simple. I used the included adapter but it isn't very solid as the Minolta style foot is a bit wobbly. I picked up a HVL-F43 from Big Box to hold me over but I will likely return it and get an HVL-F60 instead.
    I did not think it was a "red eye". I do find this sort of fringing while using (pretty much any lens) and a flash on the NEX-6 (LR4 processing) as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some updates:

Mikal was kind enough to loan me his ZA 85/1.4 and Leitax converted R.50/1.4. He also spotted me his HVL-F58M flash as well. The power of GetDPI in action! I still have to shoot some with the R.50 but I can safely say that the ZA 85/1.4 is indeed a stellar performer. Even in video. While I am not a video person, I was shanghai'd by my 12 year old son into helping him with a science fair project that required a video presentation. The A99 was the first pro level camera I ever owned that did video. You can tell that Sony knows a hell of a lot about video. Between the A99 & the ZA 85/1.4 I was able to shoot some footage that was super sharp, well exposed and only mildly boring. Focus peaking worked amazingly well and editing on my Mac Pro was a very simple affair with iMovie (which read the clips right off the card into the project I had open). I am going to shoot more video and really try to incorporate that into my shooting style.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ermita de la Caridad National Shrine at Twilight

Ermita de la Caridad National Shrine by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Requisite cat picture. Had to be done.

Leica Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 @ 1.4

Electra by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some night shots all handheld:

Always Know Where the Exit Is by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

There is only One Way by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Night Branch by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I met Carlos / Etrigan63 earlier today. What a nice guy!!!! We sat in my office for about 15 minutes discussing the virtues of the a99, and he even helped me with a few quick tips in LR4 that will help me with some of my water polo shots, and with my pictures overall. Carlos, thank you for your help. It was a pleasure to meet you.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A question for those that have a A99 in hand.

When the camera is set to high-speed shooting that yields 10 FPS, the frame size and resolution is cut to 1.46X ... in effect a 16 meg APSc size ... question: is the taking area reduction shown in the viewfinder? If so, how is it shown ... as a smaller cropped view with a mask, or is the actual taking area shown full sized in the EVF?

Thanks in advance.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    A question for those that have a A99 in hand.

When the camera is set to high-speed shooting that yields 10 FPS, the frame size and resolution is cut to 1.46X ... in effect a 16 meg APSc size ... question: is the taking area reduction shown in the viewfinder? If so, how is it shown ... as a smaller cropped view with a mask, or is the actual taking area shown full sized in the EVF?

Thanks in advance.

-Marc
    Full size in EVF.
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BackToSlr View Post
    Full size in EVF.
    Another advantage of the EVF.

Thank you.

Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    I met Carlos / Etrigan63 earlier today. What a nice guy!!!! We sat in my office for about 15 minutes discussing the virtues of the a99, and he even helped me with a few quick tips in LR4 that will help me with some of my water polo shots, and with my pictures overall. Carlos, thank you for your help. It was a pleasure to meet you.
    My pleasure Mike. it's great when GetDPI'ers can get together IRL. We should have regional GetDPI parties once a year!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos,
    Some really nice images.
    I feel guilty I have not posted any images from my A99 kit yet.
    Telluride has been very dry, fall colors long gone and very little snow..
    Maybe this weekend.

I have all my Nikon Zeiss glass converted over via Leitax mounts, wow was that easy,
    If you are a Manual focus kind of shooter, the A99 is awesome.

For those looking for a L-Bracket check out:
    Amazon.com: SUNWAYFOTO brand Arca-Swiss compatible Customizable Universal L Plate DPL-03 DPL03 Sunway: Camera & Photo

This fits like a glove, though you do lose access to the HDMI/USB ports,
    that's it.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another advantage of the EVF.

Thank you.

Marc
    I am a fan of liveview/EVF. It has numerous advantages over the other viewers or focus assist possibilities. However, I am not too sure about the pellicle mirror and losing 25% incoming light to that. The high ISO performance differences between the Nikon D600 and the A99 appear to be very stark, for example.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks steve. I looked at the sunway bracket but they havent made one for the A99 + VGrip yet.

vivek: I have been shooting mostly high iso stuff and I am getting better results with the A99 than my old d700

m_appeal

I just played with an A99 in store and wish I had bought it instead of the Nikon D800! I loved the lighter weight, grip and the focus peaking. And the in-built IS is nice to have of course. Wish I could trade the D800 for it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun with Rich Mono mode. While I am a bit of a RAW snob, I find the JPEGs in Rich Mono mode to be so good I almost never have to retouch them!

Red Road by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

OMG!Burgers by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Hidden Buddha by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Amore by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Typical South Miami Traffic Light by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Frosty by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Mutt and Jeff by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

All handheld, all Sony 50mm f/1.4
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Carlos,
    Some really nice images.
    I feel guilty I have not posted any images from my A99 kit yet.
    Telluride has been very dry, fall colors long gone and very little snow..
    Maybe this weekend.

I have all my Nikon Zeiss glass converted over via Leitax mounts, wow was that easy,
    If you are a Manual focus kind of shooter, the A99 is awesome.

For those looking for a L-Bracket check out:
    Amazon.com: SUNWAYFOTO brand Arca-Swiss compatible Customizable Universal L Plate DPL-03 DPL03 Sunway: Camera & Photo

This fits like a glove, though you do lose access to the HDMI/USB ports,
    that's it.
    I haven't been able to use mine yet, either. We will be traveling for a week. Once settled, I'll be anxious to get acquainted.
    Steven, Thanks for the heads-up on the L-bracket. I was disappointed that the L-bracket from my A77 did not fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I haven't been able to use mine yet, either. We will be traveling for a week. Once settled, I'll be anxious to get acquainted.
    Steven, Thanks for the heads-up on the L-bracket. I was disappointed that the L-bracket from my A77 did not fit.
    Cindy,
    On the L-Bracket that I recommended, it does fit, it's snug but doesn't do any damage to the body.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos, is that shot of Sunset near Whip and Dip?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the A99 today in my favorite shop, especially the EVF. I must say - and please do not take this as an offense - I was underwhelmed. I compared it directly to a Nikon D600, all in medium light - maybe sometimes rather dim - and the OVF of the D600 excelled without any doubt.

So not sure what happened, either I am still in the adoption curve or the EVF is really not up to good OVFs.

Also I find my OMD EVF be better (brighter) than the A99 EVF - at least from my memories as I did not compare them side by side.

I would have loved it the other way around!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I tried the A99 today in my favorite shop, especially the EVF. I must say - and please do not take this as an offense - I was underwhelmed. I compared it directly to a Nikon D600, all in medium light - maybe sometimes rather dim - and the OVF of the D600 excelled without any doubt.

So not sure what happened, either I am still in the adoption curve or the EVF is really not up to good OVFs.

Also I find my OMD EVF be better (brighter) than the A99 EVF - at least from my memories as I did not compare them side by side.

I would have loved it the other way around!
    Peter, Did you try magnifying the focus point or focus peaking? Those two aids make focusing my Nex7 and A77 a breeze and sold me on going for A99.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or for that matter, did you check to see that there wasn't any exposure compensation dialed in? The EVF will reflect the EC adjustment in the display.

Post Thanks / Like

Or for that matter, did you check to see that there wasn't any exposure compensation dialed in? The EVF will reflect the EC adjustment in the display.
    No exposure comp dialed in.

I had the similar impression already with the A77 - IMHO the EVF looks darker than an OVF. On the contrary I never felt like that with the OMD EVF, actually it was a bit the other way around - too bright.

Maybe one would need to adjust brightness of the EVF?

Maybe it needs some time to get used to it and I have no doubt the EVF is a great thing, but I am obviously not mature for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Peter, Did you try magnifying the focus point or focus peaking? Those two aids make focusing my Nex7 and A77 a breeze and sold me on going for A99.
    Cindy,

I was ok with the focus points and no I did not try focus peaking, which for sure is a great feature. But on the other hand I have no intention to use MF lenses on a camera like this, promising one of the fastest and most accurate AF systems.

I think I need to give the A99 another try. Maybe I will rent one with 2 lenses for a weekend and play with it. That would give me a definite better understanding and feeling.

Post Thanks / Like

Had mine for a couple of days now and I am really happy with it. Lenses are a little hard to come by here in NZ for some reason, Am really liking the EVF and focus peaking especially on landscapes because you can get a great handle on your DOF rather trying to guess what HF distance is on AF distance scale. Plenty bright for me.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Requisite cat picture. Had to be done.

Leica Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 @ 1.4

Electra by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr
    This is some pretty darned nice color. The kind I am used to from the A900.

Good to see.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is some pretty darned nice color. The kind I am used to from the A900.

Good to see.

-Marc
    Haven't you bought one yet Marc?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haven't you bought one yet Marc?

all the best
    No, It's been in my B&H cart for a month now waiting on my decision whether to upgrade my H4D/60 to the H5 ... which will suck my budget inside out

The rational advantage of the A99 is as a companion to the beloved A900, and sell the other A900 ... allowing me my cake and eating it to. Use the A99 where it excels and the A900 for everything else. The EVF turns me off, but I could stomach it for stuff that challenges the A900.

Since I'll be out of commission for months after the New Year due to a pending knee replacement, the only semi-compelling rationalization is to get it before Dec 31st for the tax write off.

It doesn't help that I just got a "Bill Me Later" e-mail offering 18 months interest free on purchases over $899.

Must resist, must resist, must resist.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a screw-me-later account but no email offer yet. That would make the decision much easier and frankly, I wish I hadn't seen your post.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, It's been in my B&H cart for a month now waiting on my decision whether to upgrade my H4D/60 to the H5 ... which will suck my budget inside out

The rational advantage of the A99 is as a companion to the beloved A900, and sell the other A900 ... allowing me my cake and eating it to. Use the A99 where it excels and the A900 for everything else. The EVF turns me off, but I could stomach it for stuff that challenges the A900.

Since I'll be out of commission for months after the New Year due to a pending knee replacement, the only semi-compelling rationalization is to get it before Dec 31st for the tax write off.

It doesn't help that I just got a "Bill Me Later" e-mail offering 18 months interest free on purchases over $899.

-Marc
    Resistance is useless!
    Personally, I'm quite jealous, I'd like to play, but I'm out of Sony - at least for the time being (don't have any lenses). I hope the knee goes well - you'll be a new man!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Resistance is useless!
    Personally, I'm quite jealous, I'd like to play, but I'm out of Sony - at least for the time being (don't have any lenses). I hope the knee goes well - you'll be a new man!

all the best
    Best to stay out if you can Jono.

For me: Leica MM (already here $$$$), pending M, new Leica S and 24mm, and new Hasselblad H5 are all Siren songs that culminate in being awash in all kinds of exciting stuff to consider ... except money

Trouble is, since semi-mastering the S2, I barely use the Sony system now ... just for weddings which isn't exactly a booming business these days.

-Marc: Buying lotto tickets, pricing out organ sales, and knitting ski mask.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

-Marc
    Come over the Dark Side, Marc. We have cookies.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DP's review won't help you to resist, Marc. It's pretty glowing, especially re noise. Suggest you do not read it.
    Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Need a bit of help with repairs for my ZA 85/1.4. While walking the lens disengaged from the body of my a900 and dropped close to 3.5 feet to the ground. It bounced twice, similar to slightly deflated tennis balls - but high enough - and then rolled slowly, as if it was in its death throes,before it stopped. The three others who witnessed this looked at me and said somewhat sympathetically "oh man, that can't be good.".

After the initial shock wore off, I put the lens back on the body to test it. The autofocus is pretty useless because the lens hit on its side, and evidently dented something n the side. The barrel is tough to turn in manual focuses well.

Does anyone know where I can get this repaired at a decent price? Thank you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike,
    I just pinged my contact at Sony about this and I will let you know as soon as he responds.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos, thank you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here you go: (800) 4 SONY PC

This line handles cameras/lenses as well for now. Once they get their pro services act together, they will have a direct number for photographers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Get a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 in Alpha mount for review. Here are a few test shots:

IMG_20121214_1240 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Native Christmas Tree by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Not Actually in Texas by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Saturday Night at the Movies by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Jam Session by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

The C-57D Comes in for a Landing by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos, thank you. Is the lens you mentioned AF?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No Mike, the Rokinon is a MF only lens. Really inexpensive though. $349.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Miami Children's Chorus Voices of Angels Concert

MCC Full Chorus by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

MCC Full Chorus + Alumni by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

MCC - Voices of Angels by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Miami Children's Chorus Voices of Angels Concert

MCC Full Chorus by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

MCC Full Chorus + Alumni by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

MCC - Voices of Angels by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Really nice, Carlos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I received my A99 from Robert J (Monza)...thank you. I took it out on a stretch of Route 66 near Grants, NM.

Sony A99 and Rokinon 35 f/1.4

[IMG]
    Route66-32 by cindyflood, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    Route66-30 by cindyflood, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    Route66-25 by cindyflood, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    Route66-17 by cindyflood, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    Route66-15 by cindyflood, on Flickr[/IMG]
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How are you liking the Rokinon, Cindy? I have the 85mm and it can be a little tricky to focus in dimmer light even with peaking. I repurposed a button for Focus Magnification so I can really nail the focus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the Rokinon lenses. I have 3 of them, but not the 85mm. I still have the Minolta AF 85 f/1.4. I have assigned a button on the A99, just like on my NEX7 and A77, for magnification.