The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the A99!

fotografz

A question for those that have a A99 in hand.

When the camera is set to high-speed shooting that yields 10 FPS, the frame size and resolution is cut to 1.46X ... in effect a 16 meg APSc size ... question: is the taking area reduction shown in the viewfinder? If so, how is it shown ... as a smaller cropped view with a mask, or is the actual taking area shown full sized in the EVF?

Thanks in advance.

-Marc

BackToSlr

A question for those that have a A99 in hand.

When the camera is set to high-speed shooting that yields 10 FPS, the frame size and resolution is cut to 1.46X ... in effect a 16 meg APSc size ... question: is the taking area reduction shown in the viewfinder? If so, how is it shown ... as a smaller cropped view with a mask, or is the actual taking area shown full sized in the EVF?

Thanks in advance.

-Marc
Full size in EVF.

etrigan63

I met Carlos / Etrigan63 earlier today. What a nice guy!!!! We sat in my office for about 15 minutes discussing the virtues of the a99, and he even helped me with a few quick tips in LR4 that will help me with some of my water polo shots, and with my pictures overall. Carlos, thank you for your help. It was a pleasure to meet you.
My pleasure Mike. it's great when GetDPI'ers can get together IRL. We should have regional GetDPI parties once a year!

kuau

Workshop Member
Carlos,
Some really nice images.
I feel guilty I have not posted any images from my A99 kit yet.
Telluride has been very dry, fall colors long gone and very little snow..
Maybe this weekend.

I have all my Nikon Zeiss glass converted over via Leitax mounts, wow was that easy,
If you are a Manual focus kind of shooter, the A99 is awesome.

For those looking for a L-Bracket check out:
Amazon.com: SUNWAYFOTO brand Arca-Swiss compatible Customizable Universal L Plate DPL-03 DPL03 Sunway: Camera & Photo

This fits like a glove, though you do lose access to the HDMI/USB ports,
that's it.

V

Vivek

Another advantage of the EVF.

Thank you.

Marc
I am a fan of liveview/EVF. It has numerous advantages over the other viewers or focus assist possibilities. However, I am not too sure about the pellicle mirror and losing 25% incoming light to that. The high ISO performance differences between the Nikon D600 and the A99 appear to be very stark, for example.

etrigan63

thanks steve. I looked at the sunway bracket but they havent made one for the A99 + VGrip yet.

vivek: I have been shooting mostly high iso stuff and I am getting better results with the A99 than my old d700

M

m_appeal

I just played with an A99 in store and wish I had bought it instead of the Nikon D800! I loved the lighter weight, grip and the focus peaking. And the in-built IS is nice to have of course. Wish I could trade the D800 for it.

etrigan63

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Carlos,
Some really nice images.
I feel guilty I have not posted any images from my A99 kit yet.
Telluride has been very dry, fall colors long gone and very little snow..
Maybe this weekend.

I have all my Nikon Zeiss glass converted over via Leitax mounts, wow was that easy,
If you are a Manual focus kind of shooter, the A99 is awesome.

For those looking for a L-Bracket check out:
Amazon.com: SUNWAYFOTO brand Arca-Swiss compatible Customizable Universal L Plate DPL-03 DPL03 Sunway: Camera & Photo

This fits like a glove, though you do lose access to the HDMI/USB ports,
that's it.
I haven't been able to use mine yet, either. We will be traveling for a week. Once settled, I'll be anxious to get acquainted.
Steven, Thanks for the heads-up on the L-bracket. I was disappointed that the L-bracket from my A77 did not fit.

kuau

Workshop Member
I haven't been able to use mine yet, either. We will be traveling for a week. Once settled, I'll be anxious to get acquainted.
Steven, Thanks for the heads-up on the L-bracket. I was disappointed that the L-bracket from my A77 did not fit.
Cindy,
On the L-Bracket that I recommended, it does fit, it's snug but doesn't do any damage to the body.

Steven

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I tried the A99 today in my favorite shop, especially the EVF. I must say - and please do not take this as an offense - I was underwhelmed. I compared it directly to a Nikon D600, all in medium light - maybe sometimes rather dim - and the OVF of the D600 excelled without any doubt.

So not sure what happened, either I am still in the adoption curve or the EVF is really not up to good OVFs.

Also I find my OMD EVF be better (brighter) than the A99 EVF - at least from my memories as I did not compare them side by side.

I would have loved it the other way around!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I tried the A99 today in my favorite shop, especially the EVF. I must say - and please do not take this as an offense - I was underwhelmed. I compared it directly to a Nikon D600, all in medium light - maybe sometimes rather dim - and the OVF of the D600 excelled without any doubt.

So not sure what happened, either I am still in the adoption curve or the EVF is really not up to good OVFs.

Also I find my OMD EVF be better (brighter) than the A99 EVF - at least from my memories as I did not compare them side by side.

I would have loved it the other way around!
Peter, Did you try magnifying the focus point or focus peaking? Those two aids make focusing my Nex7 and A77 a breeze and sold me on going for A99.

etrigan63

Or for that matter, did you check to see that there wasn't any exposure compensation dialed in? The EVF will reflect the EC adjustment in the display.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Or for that matter, did you check to see that there wasn't any exposure compensation dialed in? The EVF will reflect the EC adjustment in the display.
No exposure comp dialed in.

I had the similar impression already with the A77 - IMHO the EVF looks darker than an OVF. On the contrary I never felt like that with the OMD EVF, actually it was a bit the other way around - too bright.

Maybe one would need to adjust brightness of the EVF?

Maybe it needs some time to get used to it and I have no doubt the EVF is a great thing, but I am obviously not mature for it.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, Did you try magnifying the focus point or focus peaking? Those two aids make focusing my Nex7 and A77 a breeze and sold me on going for A99.
Cindy,

I was ok with the focus points and no I did not try focus peaking, which for sure is a great feature. But on the other hand I have no intention to use MF lenses on a camera like this, promising one of the fastest and most accurate AF systems.

I think I need to give the A99 another try. Maybe I will rent one with 2 lenses for a weekend and play with it. That would give me a definite better understanding and feeling.

Hausen

Had mine for a couple of days now and I am really happy with it. Lenses are a little hard to come by here in NZ for some reason, Am really liking the EVF and focus peaking especially on landscapes because you can get a great handle on your DOF rather trying to guess what HF distance is on AF distance scale. Plenty bright for me.