The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the A99!

fotografz

Haven't you bought one yet Marc?

all the best
No, It's been in my B&H cart for a month now waiting on my decision whether to upgrade my H4D/60 to the H5 ... which will suck my budget inside out :)

The rational advantage of the A99 is as a companion to the beloved A900, and sell the other A900 ... allowing me my cake and eating it to. Use the A99 where it excels and the A900 for everything else. The EVF turns me off, but I could stomach it for stuff that challenges the A900.

Since I'll be out of commission for months after the New Year due to a pending knee replacement, the only semi-compelling rationalization is to get it before Dec 31st for the tax write off.

It doesn't help that I just got a "Bill Me Later" e-mail offering 18 months interest free on purchases over $899. :shocked:

Must resist, must resist, must resist. :ROTFL:

-Marc

Dan Ortego

I also have a screw-me-later account but no email offer yet. That would make the decision much easier and frankly, I wish I hadn't seen your post.

jonoslack

No, It's been in my B&H cart for a month now waiting on my decision whether to upgrade my H4D/60 to the H5 ... which will suck my budget inside out :)

The rational advantage of the A99 is as a companion to the beloved A900, and sell the other A900 ... allowing me my cake and eating it to. Use the A99 where it excels and the A900 for everything else. The EVF turns me off, but I could stomach it for stuff that challenges the A900.

Since I'll be out of commission for months after the New Year due to a pending knee replacement, the only semi-compelling rationalization is to get it before Dec 31st for the tax write off.

It doesn't help that I just got a "Bill Me Later" e-mail offering 18 months interest free on purchases over $899. :shocked:

Must resist, must resist, must resist. :ROTFL:

-Marc
Resistance is useless!
Personally, I'm quite jealous, I'd like to play, but I'm out of Sony - at least for the time being (don't have any lenses). I hope the knee goes well - you'll be a new man!

all the best

fotografz

Resistance is useless!
Personally, I'm quite jealous, I'd like to play, but I'm out of Sony - at least for the time being (don't have any lenses). I hope the knee goes well - you'll be a new man!

all the best
Best to stay out if you can Jono.

For me: Leica MM (already here $$$$), pending M, new Leica S and 24mm, and new Hasselblad H5 are all Siren songs that culminate in being awash in all kinds of exciting stuff to consider ... except money :ROTFL:

Trouble is, since semi-mastering the S2, I barely use the Sony system now ... just for weddings which isn't exactly a booming business these days. :cry:

-Marc: Buying lotto tickets, pricing out organ sales, and knitting ski mask. :cool:

MikalWGrass

Need a bit of help with repairs for my ZA 85/1.4. While walking the lens disengaged from the body of my a900 and dropped close to 3.5 feet to the ground. It bounced twice, similar to slightly deflated tennis balls - but high enough - and then rolled slowly, as if it was in its death throes,before it stopped. The three others who witnessed this looked at me and said somewhat sympathetically "oh man, that can't be good.".

After the initial shock wore off, I put the lens back on the body to test it. The autofocus is pretty useless because the lens hit on its side, and evidently dented something n the side. The barrel is tough to turn in manual focuses well.

Does anyone know where I can get this repaired at a decent price? Thank you.

etrigan63

Here you go: (800) 4 SONY PC

This line handles cameras/lenses as well for now. Once they get their pro services act together, they will have a direct number for photographers.

etrigan63

How are you liking the Rokinon, Cindy? I have the 85mm and it can be a little tricky to focus in dimmer light even with peaking. I repurposed a button for Focus Magnification so I can really nail the focus.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I like the Rokinon lenses. I have 3 of them, but not the 85mm. I still have the Minolta AF 85 f/1.4. I have assigned a button on the A99, just like on my NEX7 and A77, for magnification.