The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the A99!

fotografz

Hi Marc,

Sure you've done the same thing but downloading comparison RAW's from Imaging Resource I find the colour and facial tonality of the A99 to beat the 5D3 and D800 in that order.
That was one of the convincing things for me Ben. It was/is one of the things I loved about the A900 ... the color out of the camera was much more to my liking than the D3X I was also using at the time. Seems they preserved that, and maybe improved on it a bit. Well see ... UPS missed the delivery yesterday, but it'll be here this AM with any luck.

-Marc

fotografz

Marc, I am excited to hear what you have to say about the new 60 Flash unit! :)
Actually, needing a new flash was a small irritation. I already have two 58s and the older Sony mount Stratos-II pass through TTL radio system. However, I am keeping a A900, so I'll just use it that way until Phottix catches up with the new standard hot shoe mount for Sony TTL in future.

The good news is that I won't need an adapter for the standard shoe mount Profoto AIR transceiver. :thumbs:

I use flash a lot, so stay tuned.

-Marc

fotografz

Bill, I bought the Eye-Fi X2 4GB. The 4GB seems to work well since I am keeping my raws on a bigger card in slot 2 and only small jpegs are going to the eye-fi card. I'll probably buy another larger one now that I know that it works.
Cindy, what is the distance the wifi card will work. How far away can you be from an iPad?

-Marc

MikalWGrass

You guys have me thinking about the a99 even more seriously than ever. Last night I tried taking some pics of my kids iat 7:15 pm with the a900, the Sony 58 flash, and a manual focus Leica R 50/1.4. Too many shots missed their mark because I couldn't focus the lens properly in the dark. I am wondering if focus peaking and an EVF would have helped. I really like the lens but am tempted to sell it to finance the difference between the a900 and the a99.

fotografz

My A99 arrived.

Damed battery door doesn't work. Have to put a toothpick in the top slot to make it release. I'll have figure out how to make it work properly. Hope the rest of the camera is made better.

I'm actually going to have to read the manual so I can shut off the video game airport landing graphic in the viewfinder.

Loving three things already ... the articulated LCD is a God send for my crappy knees, the ability to quickly adjust the WB in the viewfinder is beyond valuable, and the high ISO looks pretty good at 2500 ... decent noise structure.

Custom button can't be assigned for flash comp ... unless I missed it. That was one of the great features of the A900 ... no fiddling around with tiny buttons on the speed-light.

Still do NOT like the frozen image in the viewfinder after taking a shot. It's fine when on the LCD.

Lots to get familiar with. Seems like a nice camera ... pretty quiet BTW.

Size is just small enough ... any smaller and I'd send it back ... the camera has to be comfortable in hand when shooting for 8 hours straight.

Lunch time now ... will be back later.

-Marc

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, what is the distance the wifi card will work. How far away can you be from an iPad?

-Marc
Marc, I haven't tested it fully yet, but I took a shot in the living room with the iPad in the bedroom (3 rooms away) and the photo was displayed on iPad when I got there. I tried shooting on the balcony, with the ipad in the back bedroom, and it did not download.
There seem to be some nice features. For $49.95 per year, you can get unlimited photo backup in the cloud. Also, the 4GB card is endless if you continue to download (I haven't tested this out yet, but they claim it.) There is a forum on their site which addresses possible problems and has discussions.

fotografz

Marc, I haven't tested it fully yet, but I took a shot in the living room with the iPad in the bedroom (3 rooms away) and the photo was displayed on iPad when I got there. I tried shooting on the balcony, with the ipad in the back bedroom, and it did not download.
There seem to be some nice features. For $49.95 per year, you can get unlimited photo backup in the cloud. Also, the 4GB card is endless if you continue to download (I haven't tested this out yet, but they claim it.) There is a forum on their site which addresses possible problems and has discussions.
Thanks Cindy. Keep sharing your experiences with WiFi please. I have an application in mind for wedding photography.

-Marc

Marc, hopefully a few little comments that might help...

Damed battery door doesn't work. Have to put a toothpick in the top slot to make it release. I'll have figure out how to make it work properly. Hope the rest of the camera is made better.

-- That sounds like it needs to go back. One index finger flick with a nail towards the back of the camera should open the door then a blue latch in the opposite direction should release the battery.

I'm actually going to have to read the manual so I can shut off the video game airport landing graphic in the viewfinder.

-- Press 'disp' with your eye to the viewfinder to cycle through the standard options

Custom button can't be assigned for flash comp ... unless I missed it. That was one of the great features of the A900 ... no fiddling around with tiny buttons on the speed-light.

-- Not directly related but in the menu settings 3.5 (3 being 3rd tab) there's an option Exp Comp Set. By default it adjusts ambient and flash. I found this confusing and set it to ambient only.
-- Menu 3.4 change the Cutom Button to Flash Comp, now the button left and below the hot shoe allows flash comp adjustment. Not sure if other buttons can do it.

Still do NOT like the frozen image in the viewfinder after taking a shot. It's fine when on the LCD.

-- I think there's a bug here and perhaps some feature requests. I turn off auto-preview in some cases, but its clunky to keep doing that. One issue I have is the AF/MF button, I often grab manual when shooting portraits with shallow DoF and it all gets hung up, i think because that button is also zoom in preview mode. I find I have to release the shutter AND the AF/MF button to grab the next shot, whch immediately re-focuses. I think this aspect of the A99 is going to have the most discussion going forward whilst we figure out Sony's intention and hopefully get some improvements in firmware updates

Size is just small enough ... any smaller and I'd send it back ... the camera has to be comfortable in hand when shooting for 8 hours straight.

-- Yes, it's a comfy camera. I really like the way my fingers hook into the grip, with a flash and a heavy 24-70/2.8 it's bearable (i don't shoot anywhere near as long as you have to). I think for my needs I can live without the bulk of an extra batter grip.

fotografz

Marc, hopefully a few little comments that might help...

-- That sounds like it needs to go back. One index finger flick with a nail towards the back of the camera should open the door then a blue latch in the opposite direction should release the battery.

-- Press 'disp' with your eye to the viewfinder to cycle through the standard options

-- Not directly related but in the menu settings 3.5 (3 being 3rd tab) there's an option Exp Comp Set. By default it adjusts ambient and flash. I found this confusing and set it to ambient only.
-- Menu 3.4 change the Cutom Button to Flash Comp, now the button left and below the hot shoe allows flash comp adjustment. Not sure if other buttons can do it.

-- I think there's a bug here and perhaps some feature requests. I turn off auto-preview in some cases, but its clunky to keep doing that. One issue I have is the AF/MF button, I often grab manual when shooting portraits with shallow DoF and it all gets hung up, i think because that button is also zoom in preview mode. I find I have to release the shutter AND the AF/MF button to grab the next shot, whch immediately re-focuses. I think this aspect of the A99 is going to have the most discussion going forward whilst we figure out Sony's intention and hopefully get some improvements in firmware updates

-- Yes, it's a comfy camera. I really like the way my fingers hook into the grip, with a flash and a heavy 24-70/2.8 it's bearable (i don't shoot anywhere near as long as you have to). I think for my needs I can live without the bulk of an extra batter grip.
Thanks for taking the time to share the knowledge.

I really do not want to send it back for the battery door ... I'll inspect it closely to see what's up. Maybe just a tiny burr on the little latch which emory board can fix in a jiffy.

Yeah, I already set the exposure comp to separate them just like with my other cameras. I'll look at that custom button, I must have missed the flash comp listing in the menu. However, I did try the 600 flash and it is really cool. The video lights will be useful for a touch of fill when shooting ambient. It has a really simple way to comp the flash also, and the setting graph is really large on the flash LCD.

The frozen viewfinder image is a real issue for decisive moment shooters like me. I just tried shooting some Deer bedding down in the snow with a 70-200 and it was not good. The image freezes in the viewfinder, and although you can release it, by then the subject has moved causing a startling jump frame effect. This was the same in the A55 and A77, and why I'm not a fan of this aspect of the EFV in the A99.

Maybe there already is a way to do this, but I think you should be able to leave the viewfinder on continuous viewing, while the LCD shows the captured image like other cameras. Seems possible.

I did experiment with the panoramic feature which is always fascinating ... but got inconsistent results with continuous auto focusing. I shot a few panos with manual focus and peaking ... and focus pulled as I sweep the camera across the scene ... I'll need to study that more. The Pano are pretty big.

I'm posting one Pano as a Christmas e-card to friends ... the first real shot I did with the A99.

-Marc

fotografz

Wishing all Get Dpi friends a happy holiday and joyful new year.

For those that celebrate Christmas, see my attachment below ... a pano done with the A99 this AM (24/2, ISO 3200)

Sony, no baloney.

Sony, the one and only.

:)

-Marc

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

And a Merry Xmas to you too, Marc!

As for image freezing, just set the camera not to display the image i.e. Auto Review Off. Then if you do want to see it on the rear LCD, just punch the little arrow button to the right of the display. I use this all the time for moving birds and animals and it's now second nature.

I generally have the histo showing in the EVF so I really don't need to check the LCD very often. It's more important to me to have an uninterrupted view of my subject, as I'm sure it is for you.

Bill

jsparks

My a99 came yesterday. I've only just started to play with it. Marc, you said you were impressed with ISO 2500. I've been impressed with ISO 6400! I don't mind a little "grain" as long as it looks good and I believe that I will find 6400 usable (still too few shots to know for sure). I was fairly happy with the A900 at 1600 and used 3200 if I had too but didn't really like it. My impression with the limited use so far, 6400 with the A99 looks better than 3200 did on the A900. I did a few shots outside last night in the dark at 12800 and 25600 and couldn't believe that I could see stars as dots (not streaks) in a hand-held photo! Don't really think I'd use it for anything important, but it was cool!

I had to turn auto review off. Drove me nuts. The 2 second review is way too long. I have a Panasonic G1 and it gives a 1 second review that I found useful sometimes (especially since it also could show highlight and shadow blinkies during the review). Wish the Sony had 1 sec or even 1/2 sec review available, but turning it off and just hitting the play button when needed is ok. With the dynamic range, I guess I don't need the highlight/shadow blinkies, but I actually like that in the Panasonic (the Olympus with it's pre-exposure blinkies is even better). I found the blinkies more useful than the histogram since it shows where the highlights or shadows are gone, not just that they are.

Anyone found any particularly useful settings?

John

kuau

Workshop Member
For me, I find the EVF so good I hardly ever even use the LCD screen, and as Bill C. mentioned just turn off the auto review and the A99 responds very fast.

My only frustration with the A99 is that it looks like Sony is not going to announce a 36MP version in 2013 and a version that you clan flip up the SLT mirror

Steven

philip_pj

I like Image Review - if at least as briefly as I wish to view it - if only to verify I got what I wanted for very low light shots, for example. When it shows up at an awkward time, say when you want a second image right away, I just touch the shutter button briefly.

It is very high in affordance unlike the a77 for which camera you are likely to release the shutter. I am sure Sony designed for this behaviour. The swap back to Live mode is certainly fast enough to me, perhaps not for others.

Bonus behaviour - if you invoke Image Review using the correct button, go to the histogram screen then hit the shutter button to return to Live mode, the next time you shoot an image, the Histogram display screen shows up - if you need to check what went out of gamut. Hope this helps.

philip_pj

RAW shooters can get a more realistic histo in Live mode by using conservative settings - like Neutral or Standard, perhaps lower saturation. The histo is based on an in-cam jpg drawn on these Creative settings.

Anyone who has not yet discovered the 'silent wheel' button down the front left of the body should play with it. You can assign a huge no. of functions to it, I use ISO. The way it works is that the function appears across the screen bottom so does not interfere with the image view, then you turn the wheel to adjust the setting. You can also keep pressing the indent of the button and get access to all the other functions. I love this one, as you can trade off shutter speed and ISO fast, watching the histo all the while.

philip_pj

Mikal, give one a try with a good manual focus lens. The 2 stage magnification is a revelation - quite literally - at eye level. We are talking hair level detail at shooting distance for 50-100mm lenses. I have mine set on the AF/MF button and AEL button, in case I hit the wrong one.

I got my partner to take a shot of me with a Leica 50/2 R when I got the a99, and first up she nailed it easily despite hating manual focus lenses. I almost never miss with all of my MF lenses, even the slow hard to focus ones, at shooting aperture, even. It's a great time saver and very confidence inspiring.

With a good 100mm lens on a tripod for a distant composition, the second mag setting gives you EVF detail you cannot see with the naked eye.

Peaking is great for DOF checking esp for fabrics - it's eerie watching the red spread over the fibres on stopping down...but magnification is the winner for focus checks. It is such a shame they left off the EVF from the RX1, and the flip screen too.

MikalWGrass

Philip

Can you post an example or two?

If I get the a99 I will have to sell my a900. I could really use something like focus peaking to assist my eyes as they aren't getting any younger or better. I am not a professional photographer so my needs are vastly different than many on this forum. What I am really interested in with the a99 is sports shots, preferably of a faster moving sport.

The more I think about selling the entire Sony system for a Leica M9, the more my wife has me volunteering and photographing at all of her adrenaline junkie events, so I need something different than an M9. I have an M6 which is perfect for me but it no longer fills the need of getting photos to my wife and family immediately. If only it was digital (I won't sell it because it was a gift from my dad a year before he died).

I have a spare M6 body which I would probably sell to help finance an a99. I like the weight of the a99 and having looked through the viewfinder - thank you Carlos - I have no issue with an EVF.

Thanks for telling me about your experiences with the a99 and and R lens

etrigan63