The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the A99!

dmabry2010

Hi There!

I normally post on the Leica Forum. But, I did try the A99 when my wife tried her first (and hopefully last) figure competition. I posted the Monochrome shots on the Leica Forum.

And, because in the words of Ghost Busters "Don't cross the streams!!", I am posting a few of the A99 shots on this thread.

Now, why wine during a judging? Well, the judging is in the morning and the awards posing show is at night. Because the girl is glued to the bikini, and the judging is done, all that is left to do between the events is drink wine and snooze, which my wife, EJ, did both very well.

Thank you for looking.

Michael
dmabry2010

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Michael,
I really think these are very nice. Number 4 is my favorite. EJ looks so relaxed! ...and she looks amazing in number 3! May I ask what lens you used?

etrigan63

They a99 users are too busy with their Leica gear.
Actually, I was in Europe for three weeks with my Fuji X-E1. However, I did get a dance recital prior to the trip. I have been quite busy of late and I am still digging through the backlog of photos, but I do have a couple to share:

Firebird by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

IMG_20130615_5363 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

IMG_20130615_5793 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

All shot with the A99 + Sony 70-200 f/2.8 G + Sony 1.4x TC (thanks again Mikal)

dmabry2010

Michael,
I really think these are very nice. Number 4 is my favorite. EJ looks so relaxed! ...and she looks amazing in number 3! May I ask what lens you used?
Of course -- I used the Zeiss 24-70/2.8. It handled very easily. It turned out I was close enough I never needed, nor used the 70-200/2.8 I had at-ready.

Michael

ecsh

My new grand daughter, A99 and Sigma 35

Recent grad pics

Sigma hit a home run with this lens.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I went to the Air Venture 2013 airshow Saturday with A99, 70-200 f/2.8 G and a 1.4x TC. I was super happy with the A99 and zoom. I never shot an airshow before. It was a blast.

Theresa Stokes, wing walker gets out onto the wing.

Getting strapped into harness.

Ready to roll!

Girl pilots!

More photos from Air Venture air show here: http://www.pbase.com/cindyflood/airventure2013

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Carlos, This was my first time using the lens and first time shooting an air show, and I couldn't be happier. The lens/tc is replacing my Minolta 'Beercan' and 'Big Beercan' lenses. Both Minoltas are very sharp, but the focus on them is slower and not suited for action.

This is a pretty heavy crop showing Theresa Stokes, wing walker, on Gene Soucy's Show Cat.

etrigan63

I borrowed Mikal's for a ballet recital and I am quite pleased with the results. ISO 6400 cleans up nicely. I still have to work on my timing with the buffer at high framerates, but beyond that it does a great job.

MikalWGrass

Cindy, hard to shoot wildlife with a 35/2.0. Kids pics are more in line with that lens. Regarding your photos from the airshow, how does one pan properly? I think it would be helpful for cycling shots when I shoot triathlons.

I really like the shot of the wing walker but it brings to mind the recent crash in which the wing walker and pilot were killed in a crash.

How does the a99 compare with the a900 when the pics are heavily cropped? I know that 24 mp is 24 mp, but then again, it really isn't, is it. Also, how is the wifi working for you?

My 8 year old son now wants to try his hand at soccer - again, and put water polo on hold. Soccer lends itself well to a long lens, as long as I can get on the sidelines. Glad I have the 70-200 and the 1.4x because I think it is an incredibly useful lens. If it wasn't so heavy I would pretty much take it with me all of the time.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
It is always fun to see the action in your kid pics.

I get a rhythm with panning. If you don't pan air shots, then they are either blurry, or the prop (if it has one) is not blurred. Neither of those options is good.:grin: It was challenging in this case, because there were trees blocking the view from each side. I could hear them coming toward me, but once I saw them, I had to get them into the viewfinder and in focus, with a very small window of opportunity. With sports, you have to get that rhythm, too.

I never used A900. I came to A99 from A77/A55 and Nikon DSLR before that. More pixels are not always better, but more are better when it comes to cropping.

The wi-fi works good. I only use it when I am doing portraits and want to look at the photos right away with the subject. It would also work good on a vacation, if you wanted the photos transferred to an Ipad right away. A99 can shoot to two cards, which is a plus with wi-fi. You can shoot lower res jpegs and send them to the wi-fi card, while sending the raw files to the other card.

I was thinking of that crash (and the one in Brownsville, two years ago) while I was watching the show. Theresa Stokes must be very brave to perform out on the wing.

You should have fun shooting soccer with this lens. Before I got this lens, I had the Minolta "Beercan" 70-210 f/4. It is a remarkable lens for the price (1/25th of the Sony$$$)....very sharp and contrasty. The Minolta has the old screw drive, and when I first picked up the Sony G, I was shocked at how it jumped into focus so quickly.