The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35mm F0.95

f/otographer

Nice shots Rawfa. I especially like the second set with the lady in the cafe. The OOF areas from this lens are very pleasing to me.

If you get the chance can you do a brief test of the closest focusing distance? I would really appreciate it. That first turtle shot looks pretty close.

Jonas

That's pretty cool - a lens finally taking us close to what a 50/1.4 can do with a FF camera!
I like your samples Rafa, the lens obviously works very well in those situations. The samples at sonyalpharumors.com aren't as pleasing though. The "crescent style" rendering of OOF background highlights remind me about what we get from the CV 25/0.95 for micro 4/3, the shape of the mentioned highlights closer to the edges is weird. The LoCA is low and not jumping out of the screen. I don't think the lens on camera is too big judging from the image at the rumor site.
Interesting lens, thanks for posting!

Rawfa

Some unfair comparisons. us$800 Mitakon 35mm f0.95 vs a us$30 CCTV 35mm f1.7. The framing/composition was not exactly the same but the shutter speed and iso wass always the same and both lenses were wide open at all times. To be honest I was expecting a huge difference in light but it really didn´t seem the case.

mazor

lovely shots rawfa. Love comparison type pics. I have to say the mitakon does have an edge for bokeh, which is the reason for getting it I suspect.

Rawfa

Thanks, Mazor. Actually the reason for getting was to get ONE lens to rule them all, but no matter how much I try my weapon of choice a 35mm equivalent. So I would have preferred if someone had came out with a 23mm or 24mm f0.95.

mazor

well, guess the Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8 may have to be the compromise that fits into your focal length. Also with the Zeiss, you get AF, which may be handy some times. Guess with wider angle though, bokeh at 1.8 will be no where as creamy as the mitakon.

Rawfa

I have a 23mm f1.7 that SLR Magic made specially for the NEX system which rarely leaves my camera :)

mazor

nice Rawfa, See Steve Huff has done small reviews on that lens! Is that lens still readily available? Especially since it is in the same focal range and aperture as the Sony Zeiss 24.

At the moment my leave on camera lens is the olympus 40mm penF 1.4 lens. It has clinical sharpness, and descent bokeh, but most important, it seems to resist flaring well, which is suprising for a vintage lens.

Rawfa

When I´ve bought the 23mm the guys from SLR Magic only released like 100 beta units and decided not to go ahead with it. I´ve read that they changed their minds and will release an improved version of this lens.

mazor

wow a bit of a limited edition. Is there much optically to improve with this lens? Also I bet an improved lens wil come at a increased cost to the consumer :)

Rawfa

The last time I´ve spoken to the SLR Magic guys they´ve told me they had corrected barrel distortion and made some other minor modifications. I have no idea about the price though.

mazor

lovely borders by the way rawfa, adds a little instagram feel to the image. Just wondering do you see much vignetting from this lens?

mazor

also Rawfa, was wondering have you taken much outdoor bright daylight street photography with this lens?

Godfrey

I'm impressed with the potential of one of these lenses fitted to a NEX 6 body. That would be a $1700 bargain for the light gathering power.

I suspect, tho, that I'll be content with what I've already got.

Rawfa

I've started my trip 2 days ago and to be fair I haven't been using the 35mm at all. I'm in Maceio right now and this place really looks like paradise (I've been told it doesn't hold the candle compared to the next 2 places that constitute the rest of my trip). I've been using the 16mm pancake at all times, as all I see it's gorgeous beaches and landscapes...plus the 35mm won't fit in my underwater casing. Anyway, I'll only be able to post more pictures starting on December 2nd when I get back.